Recent Posts

AZLoser
on 8/19/17 10:43 pm
VSG on 12/28/16
Mirandia
on 8/19/17 9:27 pm
VSG on 03/14/17
Topic: RE: Considering VSG surgery please help!

The death rate from WLS is the same as the yearly death rate for obesity itself ... except you only have the surgery one time. While there are other complications that don't kill you ... the same can be said about obesity too. Diabetes, heart disease, cancer rates, pain, etc. etc. Every year that you are obese the risks for developing something bad goes up. Just something to think about.

Before my preop diet I had a BMI of 49.1 ... right on the line before having the label of "super morbidly obese" In the 5 months since I have lost 55 pounds ... giving me a BMI of 39.7. I'm still obese but I can drop the morbidly part of it. Health wise I am in less pain, have more energy and sleep better at night.

If you fall down you just have to get back up.

gracegetsgastric
on 8/19/17 8:57 pm
Topic: RE: Seattle Surgery Locations (out of pocket)

My insurance does cover bariatric surgery, but I'm currently doing the medically supervised weight loss program (a requirement for my insurance coverage) at Swedish. They have a free informational seminar every week/two weeks where you can learn more about the program. I'm not sure how it compares price-wise to other programs, but I'm really happy with it so far, and it feels like a very holistic approach.

Pre-Op hoping to get VSG this December/January. Currently in month 3/6 of required medically supervised weight loss program.

My Blog: gracegetsgastric.wordpress.com

Cathy H.
on 8/19/17 7:41 pm
VSG on 10/31/16
Topic: RE: "Concerns"

I completely agree, Donna. Her surgeon is doing her a great disservice by letting her suffer this long.

Down 114 pounds since surgery, 175 overall!!
SW*: 299 CW: 185 GW: 175
HW 7/2014:
360 PSW* 5/2016: 330

*PSW=Program Start Weight; SW=Surgery Weight

Donna L.
on 8/19/17 7:26 pm - IL
VSG on 06/22/15

Ugh, I didn't mean to sound so bossy. Just mad on your behalf... I would be infuriated if that was my surgeon. Stuff like this ticks me off.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either :)

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Donna L.
on 8/19/17 7:18 pm, edited 8/19/17 12:18 pm - IL
VSG on 06/22/15

You should absolutely not be constantly throwing up. I would get all of your medical records and call another surgeon ASAP. Keep your current appointments, however something is absolutely not right, and you need to see someone immediately.

A lot of hernias resolve on their own. The vomiting may actually be causing it to get worse. Immediately call surgeons monday morning for second opinions. I have a hernia that didn't resolve, however I don't have anywhere near those issues, and even if the stomach isn't healed they should have scoped it months ago.

It also won't heal if you aren't getting the nutrition you need. DS and RNY bowels that are malnourished are like tissue paper. The stomach is also prone to tissue changes, as well. If you cannot keep food down, it might be prudent to get bloodwork done to make sure you don't have vitamin and mineral deficiencies.

That is completely and utterly ridiculous they have allowed this to go on for so long. I'm two years out from surgery, and whenever I have an issue it's immediately handled - and all mine have been minor stuff and nowhere near as serious as this.

As for your weight loss... 100 pounds since March is quite good, and the body naturally slows after a while. I would worry more about fixing the issue rather than plateauing. Let your body get the nutrition it probably is lacking.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either :)

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Doriam R.
on 8/19/17 7:13 pm - Austin, TX
VSG on 07/12/17
Doriam R.
on 8/19/17 7:12 pm - Austin, TX
VSG on 07/12/17
Topic: RE: Two....Years!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!

Cathy H.
on 8/19/17 7:02 pm
VSG on 10/31/16

I agree, seems like time for a second opinion, none of this sounds right.

Down 114 pounds since surgery, 175 overall!!
SW*: 299 CW: 185 GW: 175
HW 7/2014:
360 PSW* 5/2016: 330

*PSW=Program Start Weight; SW=Surgery Weight

Donna L.
on 8/19/17 7:00 pm - IL
VSG on 06/22/15
Topic: RE: Slow weight loss... Advice

Under 200 pounds that's quick weight loss... I mean that's 22 pounds in six weeks, which is actually rather fast. I'd expect to lose 1-2 pounds a week at most going out. Under 200, the weight loss is slower than if you were 300 or 400 to start, usually.

Exercise is great for overall health, particularly the brain and the cardio-vascular system. 95% of fat loss, though, is diet.

Keep carbs lower (your body naturally burns fat vs. glucose for energy when carbs are lower) and protein high without overeating and you will keep losing.

Most Active
Guidance on VSG
RamonaP · 26 replies · 567 views
Help
mde112 · 23 replies · 442 views
"Concerns"
BBTurner · 18 replies · 187 views
Recent Topics
Slow weight loss... Advice
Doriam R. · 1 replies · 28 views
Post-op activity level
NoraM13 · 6 replies · 95 views