acedamama’s Posts

acedamama
on 6/5/18 3:54 pm
Topic: RE: Lap Band to Sleeve --- What Do I Expect?

Thank you so much! You are so right that I'm not totally on board right now. My fear of the unknown is very much a part of my hesitation. Can "I" live with the lifestyle change that the surgery will require of me. I'm very worried that I will become one of the many people in the forums here who go back to poor habits and gain it all back. My insurance doesn't cover this and I would be so disappointed in myself if I spent all the money and time only to gain the weight back. This is so much more than a surgery, it is a lifetime, lifestyle commitment. Thank you so much for your candid words and food tips.

acedamama
on 6/5/18 12:04 am
Topic: RE: Lap Band to Sleeve --- What Do I Expect?

Long story short --- 2008 I had Lap Band surgery. I lied every month to get the band tightened and drank a large smoothie each day and then ate and "purged" every night. Over the course of 4 years I lost more than half my weight. In 2012 my husband was diagnosed with cancer and in June of 2014 he lost his battle. I was so afraid seeing him deteriorate I had the band loosened. In a matter of 18 months I gained all the weight back. I'm now 290 lbs., high sugar levels, terrible knee and joint issues and still can't eat like a normal person until late in the evening when I binge. My surgeon does not have much of a bedside manner, so his response is have the sleeve surgery and you will be happier.

My fear of the sleeve is that I will not be able to live a normal life. I won't be able to have wine with friends or enjoy a bowl of red beans and rice (I'm from LA.) Can I get some real advice and guidance on what I will expect right after the surgery and the months and years to follow?? I'm scared of the surgery and more so scared of the life after.

THANKS!

Most Active