When Tylenol isn't enough??

jnemrn
on 5/11/07 6:33 am - Lees Summit, MO
Information seeking. I am into my 8th week of the required 3 month med. supervised diet and doing well.  Down 12 Pounds and BMI of 44.  During this time I am also staying away from my dear friend NSAIDS until today. Pretty good considering I have a inflammed Righ Shoulder joint. But today the issue is  a Backache, Just won't let up. I am a large chested woman and this will need to be addressed at sometime post-op and I have been taking Tylenol for the last 24 hours around the clock.  What do some of you grads do???? I am looking at RNY in the early fall. I am just curious.  I understand the weight loss will help with the pain and I am exercising. I think I over did it in water aerobics this week. Just cuious to know what your MD's have prescribed for you, if anything? Thanks. Jackie
(deactivated member)
on 5/11/07 7:58 am - Yakima, WA
I have fibro, osteo arthritis and scoliosis and am allowed limited ibuprophen.  Whether you're allowed is determined by your surgeon and your health pre/postop.   Never be afraid to ask.  Also ask for alternatives if ibu is forbidden and tylenol doesn't cut it.  tylenol actually gives me headaches, so I avoid it.   I also go for occasional deep tissue massage (helps loads!), visit a chiropractor and use a heating pad for pain relief and sometimes some extra strength Ben Gay.   Good luck!
peajack
on 5/11/07 8:39 am - Lake Orion, MI
Hi, My family doctor prescribes Darvacet for me when tylenol won't cut the pain.  It's great, but I know you have to be careful how often you use it, as it is a narcatic.  Before surgery I used Motrin FOR EVERYTHING and was scared to death I wouldn't be able to function without it -- but guess what.  When you have to, you find alternatives. Good luck, and hope that helps. Dana from Michigan
Patty_Butler
on 5/11/07 10:21 am - Dallas, TX
Jackie, My surgeon allows limited Ibuprofen.  He says none is best but this isn't  a perfect world and we must do what we must.  I took Advil up until the morning of my RNY.  I couldn't have walked into the hospital the morning of the surgery if I hadn't.  Of course all this varies with doctors. I have osteoarthritis, fibromyalgia, rheumatoid arthritis and some other autoimmune issues.  I go to pain management and am on Fentanyl patches and up to 40 mg of hydrocodone daily to control the pain.  Since my RNY over 5 years ago, I have had both knees replaced.   The first replacement was a great success, the second not so much so.  I am in constant, chronic pain and need the medications to function. I also am having problems with bursitis in my left shoulder.  My pain management doctor injected it with cortizone and it helped so much.  Still painful at times but not unbearable.  There are many options for pain control - talk with your doctor.  Physical therapy might help too.  And you are so right abou****er aerobics - if you can start now before you have weight loss surgery. Hope you feel better soon. Patty
sel
on 5/11/07 11:32 am - colchester, CT
When I was having chronic pain I was on a fentynal patch not just because of the surgery but because I have kidney issues and can't take nsaids. Now my pain has improved and I only need tylenol or I take ultram which is a prescription medication for pain and not a nsaid so it's ok for us postops. Sher

http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wzj0KJh/">
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wzj0KJh/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wzj0KJh/weight.png[/img]
[/url]
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wzj0KJh/weight.png">>

Ready4 AChange
on 5/11/07 10:45 pm, edited 5/11/07 10:46 pm - Upper Chichester, PA
I've been using Ultram ( tramadol) for when I need it because of my arthritis . Haven't needed it in a while until I hurt myself when I fell. Ask the surgeon/doctor about that. I was also told I could take Celebrex . But make sure you get the ok from the surgeon. I know what you mean about "large chest" that is what is bothering me now when I do a lot of walking. I have to find myself a good bra for exercising. Don't think I'm going to get a reduction any time soon. Good Luck Sandy

Sandy  

ribbon.gif image by Ready4Achange Remember.......  Click to Give .....Hunger, Breast Cancer, literacy, rain f                                                                                         orest, animal rescue and CHILD HEALTH

marc A.
on 5/13/07 9:35 am
stadol...it's great. it is a nasal spray that works in about 5 minutes..be carefull it is addictive.
Most Active
Recent Topics