5 day pouch test

.Anita R.
on 1/30/08 12:12 am - Stafford, VA
I just finished last night and did really great.  It seriously curbed the appetite and the cravings and the horrible hunger pangs at my nightly munch attacks. I was at the point where after a sensible dinner...about 3 hours later I went absolutely crazy looking for anything to nibble on. I would stand there at the pantry just searching for something that looked good...Then to the fridge...I would take a bite of cheese...then eat a pickle...then pop and olive...onto a teaspoon of cottage cheese...ooh marachino cherries...pop three of those...what's this green thing...eww throw that away....Humm barbeque sauce sure would taste good on a spare rib...let's just taste the sauce...Okay that's not what I wanted..grapes...pop several of those...and on and on all night. This goes on every freaking night with me. I make myself insane. During commercials I jump up as if something great might finally jump out at me.  Sometimes...I have the junk foods my family eats...and that's what I end up popping in my mouth...Like someone brought home Cheese Nips and soda and a bag of chips...OMIGOD...BAD ....The 5 DPT stopped ALL of that!  Although my last night I ate dinner too early and ended up drinking a protein drink because I had no solid protein and figured Okay...I get it...last night...It worked! Actually, I am sticking to this plan for another week as I have lost 4 lbs of the 10 that  I wanted to lose ...with little exercise (been really lazy lately) I'm just adding back some complex carbs in veggies and fruits. I didn't have this surgery to give up food. If I wanted to drink protein and eat protein bars as meals I would have had my jaw wired and a feeding tube inserted directly into my belly...It would have been so less drastic and dangerous than RNY.   It was really easy and I am soooo glad I did it. I definately recommend it...I think on the third day too I drank protein drinks and didn't notice that you were not supposed to...so I kinda ruined that day too, but it still worked...I don't usually cheat myself...but I really did get it point of the test/diet and I learned some really good habits and lost some really bad ones!   Anita
Susan B.
on 1/30/08 12:45 am - Bergen County, NJ
RNY on 09/09/05 with
Wow, your email was very inspiring...and it reminded me of myself - grazing at night - pretzels, crackers, croutons - ANYTHING small that I thought only 1 or 2 and I'm done... then back for more.  I'm lucky I've had a very small weight gain, but have to catch in now and most of all - feel in control.  Today is day 2 - I can do this - knowing I can eat some soft protein tomorrow.   Keep up the good work, very nice to know it worked for you - carbs are my enemy...I'm having a withdrawal from them now!
.Anita R.
on 1/30/08 1:19 am - Stafford, VA

You're doing good!  The third day was awesome...by then all the severe hunger pangs were already gone. I've already vowed to myself to drink at least one protein drink a day...after dinner to stop the munchies...and pangs Also...I forgot to mention that I was completely faithful to the 30 mins before and after meals with no water...and to the 64 oz water requirement. I cleaned out a 1/2 gallon plastic milk container (64oz) and filled it first thing with filtered water (just tastes better than tap) and I carried it with me all day, where ever I went. By the middle of the day I was half way thru and didn't have too bad a time peeing all day because I was able to monitor my intake all day. And if I knew I was going out I stopped drinking so I wouldn't have to use a public restroom. It was really helpful. I actually drank an extra glass of water 4 outta 5 days. The water intake really helped keep me feeling satisfied.  Hugs Anita

moonchild73
on 9/23/09 10:14 am - Hoffman Estates, IL
OMG Anita you are HYSTERICAL! but you're right! Who wants to give up food? you can't anyway you need it to live, Food addiciton is so much worse than drug addiction or alcohol etc. Because you can't just "give up" food and cut it out completely...

I choked when I read an earlier post. One lady said she hadn't eaten candy in 2 years....WHAT??? I'm just almost 2 years out and I've been eating candy for a WHILE! I know..BAD but...we're human....

That's why I'm doing the 5dpt, I keep thinking I "undid" my surgery, stretched my stomach back, etc etc. I have a tolerance for candy, sugar, pasta or rice, chips...I can eat anything, which is nice in a way I want to be able to eat what I want...problem is...the old bad habits come pouring back. NOT COOL  But that's why this surgery is a "tool" and not a "cure" 

I just started the 5dpt, today is my first day. I was wondering if it had to be "clear liquids" which is why I came online, to look...since I've had lattes and protein shakes today :)

Anyway...good luck to anyone trying this.  I have a feeling it may just help put me "back on the straight and narrow" I hope it curbs the cravings because I seriously like my crackers and chips and though I dont have pasta, etc a lot and still try to keep portions to 6-8 oz (preferrably 6)...I still can mow down on chips or crackers and peanut butter cups or kit kats (of cours he "fun size" but still...one...two...three...not good!!! BAD GIRL)  Maybe I should have just wired my jaw shut. YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
KarenGirl
on 4/28/11 7:49 am - Collierville, TN
I know how it is!  I can eat anything - no problem with sugar (except ice cream gives me a stomache and headache) Asked my doc at my 2 yr checkup why she didn't take out that sugar thing since so many others have dumping with sugar and fat - me never!  Kind of wish I did cause that is what is making me gain weight.  I am exercising a lot more now and have a trip this June to get motivated for - gonna try this 5 day thing and hope it gets me motivated to get back on track!  GOOD LUCK YOU ALL!!!
Tracy B
on 1/30/08 12:43 am - Erie, PA
I did protein shakes, tons of water/crystal light and did allow myself some s/f pudding in the evening to help me get by. I can't do cream soups or broth b/c of the sodium content and I didn't make any of the special soups, although they sound really good. I have to agree with you~support is the key to long term success!

~*~Tracy B~*~

328/160 *** 5'9"
start/current

Susan B.
on 3/24/08 10:19 pm - Bergen County, NJ
RNY on 09/09/05 with
Hi there - started the 5 DPT today, Easter took me by surprise- few too many dips into my son's Easter Basket!  Hoping to gain control after 5 strict days....  How's it going for you?
Tanny
on 1/30/08 12:49 am

I know I'm very pleased. Did the 5 dayer a couple times myself & I am more in control than ever. Didn't exactly lose weight while on it however, now that I'm exercising & staying on track better I'm pleased to say I've lost 5 pounds. GOOD JUMPSTART ! Good luck !

Susan B.
on 1/30/08 1:03 am - Bergen County, NJ
RNY on 09/09/05 with
Very encouraging -  thanks for sharing.  The power of support is so critical...it's getting me through a tough moment right now! 
Tanny
on 1/30/08 1:17 am
I must add... Even if you're not perfect on it, atleast you're making a change for the better. And trying. The first day I even pureed lentil soup & chili. Got myself into that mind-set. Take care 
Most Active
Recent Topics