I can't do it!!!!!!

MarilynT
on 2/6/08 2:33 am
Just wanted to chime in as a long term post-op who is also dealing with the dreaded "small gain".  Firs off....{{{HUGS}}}. It is hard to feel as if you are doing everything RIGHT and not get the results you crave. I second the suggestion of getting together with the dietician/nutritionist. He/she will be able to help you tailor "the basics" (high protein, good carbs, etc.) to your specific cir****tances. But first, keep an HONEST and DETAILED food log for about a week; that way, the dietician will be abe to see EXACTLY what it is you're doing right or exactly what it is you are lacking.  Fortunately, I  have had great results getting back to basics....but I gotta be honest, it is a LOT MORE WORK than it was the first time around. Don't throw in the towel....work your tool, and use the stategies that worked the first time around, and avoid the temptation to starve yourself thin....use the professionals if you need them....AND GOOD LUCK.  
meltingmel
on 2/6/08 3:29 am - Grove City, Ohio, OH
Thanks to evreyone who has given me the much needed support .     Group HuG! I will get back up on my horse and ride again. I would like to go to my dietician, but she is at he Barix who will "sell" you a program to help you get back on track. Exploiting weight loss once again for money. That sickens me. But I do thank each and everyone of you for your help and support.
Peace and Blessings, Melinda
Starting weight 326
Lowest weight 145
Current weight 175
Goal weight 145
The taste of the bait isn't worth the pain of the hook
Tracy B
on 2/6/08 3:54 am - Erie, PA

(((((((((HUGS))))))) You've gotten some great advice already and I can hear in your words that you're feeling a little bit better already!!! You hang in there and come here every day~that always helps me!!!!

~*~Tracy B~*~

328/160 *** 5'9"
start/current

Diminishing Dawn
on 2/6/08 12:13 pm - Windsor, Canada
You might be eating too little.  I found that this was the case with me as the old starvation mode came into play. Once I bumped out calories/protein, I started to lose again. Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

(deactivated member)
on 2/6/08 10:20 pm - Cleveland Heights, OH
Hi, Mel - I'm sorry you are having such a hard time.  In one of your responses to another poster, you mentioned that you were doing 1200 calories, then backed down to 1000 then to 800, and still no losses.  It may seem counterintuitive, but you may actually need to eat more calories to lose weight.  Using the Harris-Benedict method of calculating your base metabolic rate and assuming you're age is 40 (not sure how old you are), you should be able to eat about 1750 calories and maintain at 160 pounds.  To maintain at 145 pounds, you would need to eat about 1650 calories per day.  These figures do not account for the calories you burn off every day through regular activities and exercise.  Here's a link to a website with more information about these calculations - http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/harris-benedict -equation/ If you regularly take in fewer calories than your base metabolic rate, your body may be really resistant to losing weight because it's not sure whether it's going to get enough calories to continue functioning like it needs to!  One of my co-workers - a non WLS person - was stuck about 15 pounds above her goal weight and was eating 1000-1200 calories per day.  She ran her numbers through this equation and bumped her calories up to 1500-1600 per day, and was able to lose the remaining weight.  She's about 5'2, probably weighs around 140 now, and is eating 1800-2000 calories a day to maintain.   I know, know, know it seems crazy to suggest that you may need to eat more to lose weight, but that may be what's going on here.  If you're willing to do so, try adding 100-200 calories per day to your diet and see what happens.  I'd suggest adding proteins or good carbs, especially if you are exercising regularly.  Maybe just one or two more small snacks during the day, or a good protein bar.  I think you'll be amazed and pleased with the results -  As for the other issues you mentioned, I think the other posters have offered some good advice.  As for me, I'll encourage to continue working on being able to love yourself.  It's not always easy, but you are worth it!!! Kellie
Beatrice C.
on 2/6/08 11:33 pm - Claremont, CA

I'm sorry you are so frustrated.  I find it really difficult too.  Have you tried backing off the cardio and adding strength training?  Doing weights to help build your big muscle groups, (thighs, abdominals, and arms) might help boost your metabolism.  Sometimes, just changing things up can jar your body back.  Your metabolism may have adapted to your routine.  Also, you might want to try eating 6 times a day, but really loading your calories towards the earlier part of the day.  You know breakfast like a queen, lunch like a squire, dinner like a peasant.  I'm not saying forever, but again, switching things up might help. 

I really sympathize with your frustration.  I'm battling a regain of about 10 pounds (I"m not very big either, so it shows) and I keep taking 3 or 4 off and relapsing on eating starchy carbs, then I gain it back.  Today I have 7 left to take off. I've been increasing my weight training, walking my dog (studies have found that moderate cardio is better to get weight off than very strenous cardio) and doing yoga to try to relax a couple of times a week.  I also don't eat almost any starchy carbs.)  I eat lots of plant and animal protein, fruits, nuts, vegetables and some beans.  As long as I stick to this, I feel better and the weight comes off. 

I know everyone's different, and if you've already tried all this, I'm don't want to frustrate you even more.  Just know I'll be sending good thoughts and that as long as you don't have any sort of thyoid problem (been to the doctor?) and you are in good health, you will eventually lose weight as long as calories in are less than calories out.  Don't give up!  A 15 pound regain is depressing, but you are still much thinner and healthier than when you started.  Don't beat yourself up.  You can do this!

Beatrice HW223/SW217/CW121

It's great to live on in my work, but I rather live on in my apartment. ~ Woody Allen

jade1941
on 2/9/08 6:06 am - Battle Creek, MI

Hi everyone -  I can really empathize with everyone on here.  I quit checking out this forum a long time ago as I was disappointed in myself and despaired of ever finding help.  I had open RNY in February 2000 by Dr. Rumsey in San Diego.  I moved back here to Michigan 8 months later.  My surgery went fine but my recovery was awful.  I was very sick, and gave up following guidelines.  I lost from 305 down to196, had two more surgeries (incisional hernia, and failure of occlusion causing small intestine to herniate on itself).  Since then family problems, marriage, divorce, death, stress - you name it, I've had it.  My weight went back up to 270 and is now at 250 - don't ask how lost that 20 pounds cause I don't know.  I have eaten whatever, whenever I wanted, Coke, chips, just like before surgery because I had given up hope.  None of the doctors I've seen in Michigan (or dietitians) want to tell me what I should or shouldn't eat.  Diabetes is back, blood pressure back up.  Eric sent me a "Happy Anniversary" email and I wrote back describing my problems and hopelessness.  The staff wrote me back and told me to get on this forum--so here I am.  After reading your posts for two days, even with your problems, you are an encouragement to me.  I started the 5-day pouch test today - not putting it off, and I WILL get back on track.  I was so hopeless, and I felt at the age of 66, why even bother.  Thank you all so very much for being here - I have renewed hope for losing the weight and I am not going to give up any longer.  God Bless  you all.

meltingmel
on 2/9/08 11:47 am - Grove City, Ohio, OH
Welcome home Jade. This is a place for unconditional love and encouragement. Everyone here knows the battle all too well. I have not been able to make it through 5 days of the pouch test. But i am okay with that, as i have been able to get my body in ketosis when i have wanted to.This is my opinion is a much more effective ay to rid the carb craving. Mypoint is even if you fail at the 5dpt, it's okay that isn't the only option. I am posting daily a mel's daily diary to get myself accountable. So feel free to glance anytime you like. I am sure it will make you feel much better about your own diet. :)   Good luck, I'm glad you are here
Peace and Blessings, Melinda
Starting weight 326
Lowest weight 145
Current weight 175
Goal weight 145
The taste of the bait isn't worth the pain of the hook
jade1941
on 2/9/08 11:51 am - Battle Creek, MI
Thanks Melanie - I appreciate the encouragement, I've been starving all day, finally broke down and ate a slice of lunch meat!!  BUT - I'm gonna get right back on that horse tomorrow and keep on riding.  Good luck to you also, I am glad to be back.
Most Active
Recent Topics