Low Ferritin Iron Saturation

BelindaOBX
on 4/21/08 12:40 pm, edited 4/24/08 11:30 am - Mount Gilead, NC
Just got my labs back from my 2 year post-op visit. My Ferritin Serum level was 1. The reference range is 10-291. I have an appt scheduled with a hematologist for possible IV iron supplementation. Any one have experience with iron infusions. I'm curious as to what I should be expecting.  Previously I have been anemic, but have not needed supplemental iron. I take my vitamins  and iron faithfully. Thanks for any info. Belinda

Anchor cut TT 9/27/2007

Butterfly Reborn
on 4/21/08 6:43 pm
1? One? Someone should be contacting you ASAP for a blood transfusion and/or iron infusion stat! What is the reason your Ferritin is so low?  What is your B-12 level? Do you take iron supplements?  If not, why? Once anemic, I'd take for life.  I do. I will say that I have taken prescription iron pills from a hemotologist and they did NOTHING for me but raise my low level by 2 points in ONE YEAR of FAITHFUL supplementation!!!  Huh? I switched to TENDER IRON by VITALADY and my Ferritin level went up 10 points in 3 months.  That's more like it!   If the appointment with the Hematologist is not very soon, I'd call and ask to speak to the nurse.  She can get you in faster in the blocked times than the appointment desk.   In the meantime, it won't hurt you to supplement your iron. Once you get this resolved, you are going to feel so much better!  You may not even realize that you feel bad until you start to feel good again!  :-)  I hope this helps and you are on the road to excellent health very soon!

I have two sides to my brain - a right side and a left side.  The trouble is sometimes there is nothing left in the right side and nothing right in the left side.
Post-Op RNY 6.5 years
HW 252  GW 140 CW 140

BelindaOBX
on 4/21/08 9:17 pm - Mount Gilead, NC
The MD office sent me a letter on the 14th. I thought it was a survey and didn't loo****il last night. My appt is the 28th. So not much of a wait. I take 30mg of iron daily that is made for post bariatric surgery pts. At the time of my TT I supplemented my iron with vitamin C as that helps absorption, but have not done that lately. This is the first time my levels have been so low. My B 12 is in the normal range 382 with the reference range being 211-911. Your right I know idea that I felt bad. I have been tired but I thought it was from working to hard and staying up too late. Thanks for your advice. Belinda

Anchor cut TT 9/27/2007

Butterfly Reborn
on 4/21/08 10:09 pm

Hi, Belinda! Thank you for replying.  Of interest to me are several things from my own personal experience with pernicious anemia..............Of course, you may not have PA so this is just an FYI as you learn more about your blood levels. Iron MUST be taken with Vitamin C for adequate absorption. While your B12 is "in range" it may not be a good range for YOU! (Don't forget we can no longer obtain B-12 from food sources and or typical vitamins.  My anemia was caused by lack of B-12 (discovered through testing) yet my B-12 was "in range" at 424.  My surgeon wants my B12 at 1000 or more!   I used a highly aggressive B12 replacement regimen yet after 14 months my B12 is at 904.  I have never been able to get it higher than 904.  I have the treatment plan that I used (I believe on my profile) that I could dig up for you.  The treatment to replace the B-12 was after 100s of hours of research.  And, as I mentioned, it still doesn't get higher than around 900.  I used the sublingual and still tanked as it did not work for me.  I went to injections and this is how I got my B-12 level to rise.  I've heard that some people like the nasal spray and others like the patch or do fine with the sublingual tablets. The good news and bad news for me was that while I was taking the prescribed FE C Plus, my Ferritin levels didn't increase and my H & H never recovered to the high numbers I've had in the past.  Also, iron saturation wasn't "up" which indicated that I was not absorbing the iron from the prescription.  Interesting!  So, I switched to TENDER IRON from VItalady having heard such good things and as I mentioned in the previous post, not only did I increase 10 points in 3 months but my iron saturation levels were UP indicating that I am now absorbing iron.   This is just MY story and what works for you may be very different but these are some things to keep in mind as you restore your health!  Please let me know if I can assist you further!   I hope you have a great day!

I have two sides to my brain - a right side and a left side.  The trouble is sometimes there is nothing left in the right side and nothing right in the left side.
Post-Op RNY 6.5 years
HW 252  GW 140 CW 140

Schmeesa
on 4/22/08 9:01 am - Portland, OR
Hi there, I am on 150mg/day of Niferex, taken with vitamin C, separately from my other supplements, and I'm still anemic. May I ask, how much Tender Iron were you taking? I'd like to try it but am unsure of the dosage. Thanks, Lisa
Butterfly Reborn
on 4/23/08 11:49 pm
Hi, Lisa! I take six per day along with Vitamin C. I have heard some people start with two and slowly increase up to six but I started with six and did fine.  They can be chewed as well.  I love this product and my doctor is even looking into it now since my results were changed so quickly.   If you have any questions, Michelle is fantastic!  She is MORE THAN HAPPY to help.  It's her mission in life.  She developed this along with scientists (lab) specifically for post-bariatric patients as she is 12 years out herself.  You can reach her at [email protected] www.vitalady.com I hope this helps!

Post-Op RNY 6.5 years
HW 252  GW 140 CW 140

BelindaOBX
on 4/24/08 11:32 am - Mount Gilead, NC
How does this iron taste if chewed? Belinda

Anchor cut TT 9/27/2007

Butterfly Reborn
on 4/24/08 11:42 am
http://www.vitalady.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&k ey=1705
Vitalady Tender Iron (25mg Carbonyl Iron) 400 tabs/btl ( 1705 )

Although not intended to be chewable, Tender Iron has a slightly sweet flavor, so you can dissolve it smaller or chew it. There is a tiny bit of grit, but no unpleasant flavor. They can, of course, be swallowed, if preferred.

Post-Op RNY 6.5 years
HW 252  GW 140 CW 140

Lissa Strombelline
on 1/12/10 8:58 am - PA
10 months Post-RNY. I had my CBC and Iron levels checked yesterday (Jan 11th), so why they saying I have to get more labs done the 14th at the Infusion?

I have been taking 650 mg of Iron for the past maybe  3 weeks I'd say.  They said my Iron was 21 in October and now its 86....so why the Infusion??

http://facebook.com/Lissa2002
Text Me: 814 806 7861

Thanks so much for this info. Im going to look into the Tender Iron.

Melissa

Most Active
Recent Topics