Low Ferritin Iron Saturation

Ro Smiley
on 4/22/08 11:06 am - Charlotte, NC
Thanks.  I think i will email both Dr. B and Dr. P.  They will actually respond directly to emails.  If you are getting nowhere with Diane, you may try that route.  Thanks for the input. Roberta
Thanks for letting me know. I have never tried to email them. Thanks a bunch.

Melissa

BelindaOBX
on 4/22/08 11:10 am - Mount Gilead, NC
I agree call your surgeon. I had all my bloodwork done at my RNY doc's office. I got a very formal letter in the mail with the results and the hematology appt already scheduled in about 2 weeks. That's pretty fast by in the medical world. Belinda

Anchor cut TT 9/27/2007

Butterfly Reborn
on 4/23/08 11:54 pm

B12 @ 382 is way too low.  New numbers are 800+.  Even with an agressive B12 injection treatment plan, I can't get above 904 BUT I'm no longer in danger as I was since my B12 has increased, my H&H is good (not as good as it was) and my Ferritin in on the rise.  Ferritin is your STORES of iron and we don't want to "tank out" so I prefer a good range. I hope all this information has been helpful to you. If you have any questions about B12 treatment plans, I have 1000s of hours of information!  LOL 

I have two sides to my brain - a right side and a left side.  The trouble is sometimes there is nothing left in the right side and nothing right in the left side.
Post-Op RNY 6.5 years
HW 252  GW 140 CW 140

vitalady
on 4/24/08 2:01 pm - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
WEll, when my ferritin was 800, not one doc of 6 coulk tell me why it was or even if it was important! It took me awhile to find someone to explain it. And THEN, it wasn't a doc who sent me for tests, but somsone whose mom is dying from hemachromatosis. Had she been dx 20 yrs ago, it's easy to treat. So, she was all over me to be tested RIGHT NOW, so I was and it wasn't, but docs don't seem to know much about it, in general. Getting referral to a hema was a trick!

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

cdt4668
on 5/22/08 1:51 am
I just ran across this post...I am new to this.  I have been having iron infusions for years.  I have Celiac disease and do not absorb iron or B-12.  I also get B-12 shots every month.  you need to find out the reason for the low iron. As for the infusions, it depends on how much iron you need and how your doctor gives iron infusions.  Mine usually takes 4 hours but my doctor gives me pre-meds first.  I get an infusion every 6 months.  I will be getting them the rest of my life.  If you still need any questions answered, feel free to contact me. hugs, Cheryl
Big B.
on 5/28/08 4:48 pm - Palo Alto, CA
This is such an interesting thread to me.  I am going to have DS within the next 3 months or so.  Did tons of lab tests in preparation.  Even before DS, my iron is around 22, with iron saturation at only 15%.   Will this be problematic for the surgery?   I figure I should get my iron up now.  Since I haven't yet had the DS, I assume I should not take as much iron as those who are post-op.  Any thoughts on this? Julie
BelindaOBX
on 5/28/08 9:23 pm - Mount Gilead, NC
I do think people that have some issues with anemia pre-op have more issues post-op. I had some minor pre-op issues. I'm 2 years post-op RNY. It took about that long to manifest. At my lab work at 1 year 18 months etc. I was only slightly anemic. I just continued to take my regular dose of iron.  I wouldn't had additional iron supplementation for you now without first talking to your surgeon or primary care physcian. Belinda

Anchor cut TT 9/27/2007

boboma25
on 7/27/09 3:58 am - Trinity , NC
Belinda,

How are you feeling now? 

I had been anemic last year, hemoglobin went to a 6, I got 4 units of blood, they found an ulcer, got that fixed, all was good until last week, stomache pain and weakness, my hemoglobin is good, 12.3 but ferritin is 12.3 and my iron saturation is 6, so they put me on PruVate instead of my normal iron, keeping the monthly b12 shots, and for the ulcer possibly flaring they started me back on prilocec 40 mg daily.  I go to a hemotologist 8-24-09. 

I wanted to see if your all good now and what had the best impact towards getting you there.  I'm tired of being tired!  I'm 5 years out and still glad I had the surg. My blood anemia would flare up from time to time with any child birth or surgery I ever had, and the ucler-well, I knew better than to take excederine for headaches and ulcers are common in my family.  lol Dumb me! 

Take care!
Bobbie
BelindaOBX
on 7/27/09 9:01 pm - Mount Gilead, NC
I had iron infusions in January. I felt great after the infusions.

One month after the infusions my iron ferritin was 99.
Three months after the infusions my ferritin was 70.

Great numbers!

But now at 6 months after the infusions my ferritn is 11. The very bottom of normal range. I actually have an appt to see my Hemetologists tomorrow.

It will interesting to see what his plan will be.

Thanks for asking.

Belinda

Anchor cut TT 9/27/2007

Most Active
Recent Topics