Low Ferritin Iron Saturation

boboma25
on 7/28/09 7:54 pm - Trinity , NC
Belinda,

I will keep you in my prayers that the appointment goes well.  Thanks for sharing what you've gone and are going through, it makes this a lot less scarey.  If you don't mind, post what happens, I pray that there is an easy and pain free fix for you!

Thanks and God Bless!
Bobbie
BelindaOBX
on 7/29/09 12:01 pm, edited 7/29/09 12:02 pm - Mount Gilead, NC
I will have 8 iron infusions starting on August 10.

Really the only annoying part is having the IV put in and then trying to work with it it my forearm. Last time it was 9 iv sticks for 8 infusions.

The iron will really pep me up.

Good luck with your upcoming hemetology appt.

Belinda

Anchor cut TT 9/27/2007

boboma25
on 7/29/09 7:24 pm - Trinity , NC
I hope things go well on 8-10, that it is painless and resolves this for you completely! 

God Bless!
Bobbie
pigletom
on 9/5/09 5:12 am
i am a little over 6 years post op and have struggled with anemia for quite some time.  recently my labs came back at 5.4 and 5.3 (retest because they didn't believe it) .  i had been getting biweekly b12 injections and taking chromagen.  they have now put me on 2 multigen capsules/daily. 

i am going back in on 9/21, but not testing before that.  my real concern is the fact that the dr's were REALLY concerned (called at 6;45 a.m) when they got the levels, but then when it appeared that i was functioning just fine they really weren't that concerned anymore.

i'm also wondering how i tell my doctor about the "new" b12 range.  i hate to sound like a know it all or say things like "i saw on the internet..." 

i haven't tried vitalady's iron yet.  i can see one downfall is that my insurance covers my chromagen now...but obviously that's not doing the trick.  what are the parameters generally to suggest iron infusions?

the biggest problems i'm having is chewing 5-6 44 oz glasses of  ice a day and when i stand up from having my head down i feel like  i could pass out.

i was going to put this as a new post, but since this was here...sorry to hijack ;0)
BelindaOBX
on 9/5/09 10:44 am - Mount Gilead, NC
I use carbonyl iron  . That's the same kind of iron has the Tender Iron. I was purchasing Perfect Iron from drugstore.com. These tablets are 25 mg of iron each. I was taking 4 to 6 a day with separate vitamin C. My dietician got samples of  the bariatric advantage iron. This iron comes in doses of 20, 40 or 60mg. The iron is feronyl. This is bariatric advantage name for carbonyl iron. This pill is also chewable and had the vitamin C already in it. It's sour but very much like a lime sweet tart. I take the 2 of the 60 mg per day and extra of the perfect iron at that time of the month.

My ferritin was 1 when I first saw the hematologist. I tried conservatively to get the numbers up with extra iron for 8 month. When I finaly had the infusions in Jan I was at a 6 or 7. He also looked at iron saturation as a indicator.

6 weeks after infusion 99
3 months after 70
6 months after 11

With a drop of that much I made an appt with hematologist. With history he opted to do infusion before it dropped any lower. I had the blood draw at the same time as a vitamin D blood draw. Gastric bypass office was not concerned with 11. But since I already have hematologist I let him handle it.

I due for 6 week labs early October.

Intersting note. The odrers for the infusions state the gaol of treatment is to maintain ferritin between 100-300.

Just because you are functioning does not mean it's not effecting you. The iron dropping sneaks up on you. I didn't realize how tired I was until I was back to normal.

Good luck
Belinda

Anchor cut TT 9/27/2007

OHAngel2006
on 9/28/09 5:42 am - GA
Vitalady Tender Iron (25mg Carbonyl Iron) 400 tabs/btl 1706 $15.99

Is this the one you're speaking of?

My iron saturation level is a 3 (doc said 20-50 is normal)
BelindaOBX
on 9/28/09 11:28 am - Mount Gilead, NC
http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=186912&catid= 32529  info re perfect iron. 200 25 mg tablets = $4.75

I now take 2 -3 of these a day. http://www.bariatricchoice.com/bariatric-advantage-chewable- iron-60mg.html  90 60mg carbonyl iron and vitamin C = $36.95

Belinda

Anchor cut TT 9/27/2007

Lissa Strombelline
on 1/12/10 11:16 am - PA
10 months Post-RNY. I had my CBC, TIBC and Iron levels checked yesterday (Jan 11th), so why they saying I have to get more labs done the 14th at the Infusion?

I have been taking 650 mg of Iron for the past maybe  3 weeks I'd say.  They said my Iron was 21 in October and now its 86....so why the Infusion??
http://facebook.com/Lissa2002
Text Me: 814 806 7861

cdt4668
on 1/12/10 11:34 am
I am afraid that I have no idea why.  I was always told that my ferritin level had to be below 11 to get an infusion.  I was suppose to see the hematologist on Jan. 8th and the whole city was shut down because of snow so now I don't see him until Feb. 8.  I know I am ready for an infusion...it has been six months and I am really tired.  I have never had surgery...my problem comes from celiac disease.  I also take massive doses of vitamin D....50,000 units a week just to keep it slightly above normal.....same with potassium.

If I were you, I would ask the hematologist why you need an infusion.
thunor
on 5/9/10 1:20 am - Villa Park, IL
Hi all. I haven't been on this site in forever but find myself coming back again due to problems. I previously had the Roeux-En-Y(sp) back in Dec 05. I have since had issues with a very hard to find stomach ulcer that they finally corrected after much blood loss/transfusions(back in 06). I have known that my numbers probably weren't very good as I have not had access to funds for the vitamins that I should be getting but finally got accepted for VA medical coverage so had a full blood work-up. Results are as follows:

Cholesterol 135        Ref Range 0-200

Triglycerides 105        Ref 0-149

HDL 47    Ref 40 - ?

LDL 67    Goal is <130

HGB: 10.3    Your result shows anemia

Iron    TIBC 486 H    Iron 21 L    4% Saturation    Result is abnormal

Ferritin    4    Results are low, indicating an iron deficiency

My doctor is very concerned with the bottom results due to my ulcer history...plan is to do another Upper and Lower GI to make sure I don't have another bleed going on. I am taking a Ferrous Sulfate 325mg pill 3/day now care of my doc but not sure just how bad these numbers really are and how panic'd I should be.

My surgery(WLS) was a huge success for me but I seem to be enjoying the less than favorable bad effects from it as well. Weight has gone from 325lbs to holding at about 165 for the last year or so. I previously had been on meds for Type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol...no meds for any of that post-op. I have also gone from a life of 30years in the computer field(deskjob) to highly physical work of caring for 30+ horses in a stable for the last
2 years. I know that the physical labor is helping my keeping fat low and muscle high but not sure how much of my being tired is due to the labor and how much is caused by incorrect blood lab numbers.

Any help or ideas that are nearly free(I am very close to being homeless so not the best of worlds) would be much appreciated.
Most Active
Recent Topics