Brachioplasty question

Debbie08
on 8/6/08 11:17 pm
Hi, I'm 3 weeks post op from having my brachioplasty done.  I wish I could say that my experience has been a good one, but it hasn't been.  My gastric bypass was a breeze compared to this.  My PS had me in a compression garment for only a week and later with a regular ace bandage.  I haven't had any swelling since the first week and haven't noticed any fluid retention.  A very small section at the top of my upper arm has seperated, but my PS said he wants it to heal completely before we address it.  Overall, he said he's very pleased w/the way they are healing, etc.  Here's the major problem I'm having: I can't put my arms to the side like a normal person.  If I do, my arms feel like they're going to rip open (even my forearms).  The pulling and tightness I feel is very very uncomfortable.  I walk around with my arms folded across my chest because that's the only way I feel comfortable.  The feeling is even worse at night.  Can someone tell me if this feeling is normal and if it will go away?  My doctor says it is, but I want to hear from people who have actually had the surgery.  Also, how long did it take for you to start driving again? My doctor gave me the okay to drive last week, but I still feel uncomfortable w/the the tightness I feel.  As of right now, I'd rather have my bat wings back <<>>.  Any reassurance will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks, Debbie
vi
on 8/7/08 1:43 am - CA
I had a modified brachioplasty and breast lift done June 3rd and I'm back to the gym as of two weeks ago with my regular weight training and cardio.  I chose to wear my compression garmet for 3 weeks (it was a combination for the arms and breasts) and then moved on to just a sports bra.  Other than the itching I have to say mine was a cake walk with very minimal scars to show for it.  The arms were a little tight and I had some numbness down the arm for about the first 2 weeks but it's to be expected.  Hang in there.
J.R. L.
on 8/7/08 3:01 am
Oh this is real normal - Tomorrow I will be out from mine 1 year. I know what you mean about the tightness to this day I have that at time. I use Bio-oil on mine to stop the tightness. And as far as the way you hang the new arms - that to will change - my hubby said I looked like a hunch back because the way I hung mine - it takes a while but you will beable to hang them the old way it's all new and your body is still adjusting.  Trust me it will be a year before you know it and you would never want those wings back!!!!
UI2th
on 8/10/08 4:47 am - IA
Debbie-
Your experience sounds similar to mine.

My PS referred me to a physical therapist to improve my limited range of motion.  It really helped.

I am still going to massage therapy to help loosen my muscle and fascia - to move my lymph around.  That is helping too.

I still having the tightness in my forearms - I have to stretch daily to keep things loose.

Ask you PS about physical therapy.

Hope this helps!
Most Active
Recent Topics