Charlie Horse feeling in the stomach

Pandora2
on 1/18/14 10:40 am
On November 13, 2009 at 6:51 PM Pacific Time, danabky wrote:
Wow, I guess I should update!!!

After my last post on that link that the above poster linked to an old post, (http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/wls_grads/3044806/2-1-2-yrs-severe-stomach-pain/ )I went to a different surgeon who took me seriously. Unfortunately, it requires exploratory surgery. I was begging him to do surgery.

I suspected from research that I may have had a "mesentery hernia" in the Petersons space. He agreed with me. Sure enough when he got in, it was indeed the "hernia." I use the term Hernia in quotes because it isn't your usual hernia. It is more like a "void."  

When we lose a LOT of weight quickly, we also lose the fat that is cushioning your intestines. When you lose this fat, it allows the intestines to move around like snakes in a snakepit. Kink and unkinking at random. Mine was almost so severe that part of my colon was compromised and nearly without a blood flow. Luckily they got to it in time. Thank God they listened to me.

However... I still suffer from occasional "Esophageal Spasms."  They aren't nearly as bad as they were. Even though they are called esophageal spasms, they are more like in the pit of your new stomach. I still keep 2 mg of Valium on me at all times just in case. 2 mgs is a very light dose, you never really feel like you are "on" something. It is just a muscle relaxer. If I start feeling that tighness, I pop one immediately and it will go away pretty quickly. I maybe have them once or twice a year now instead of every month. Like I said, if I can just take the tiny valium at the first sence of tightness... I never get into the fetal position and can go about my day.  The hard part is finding a PCP who will give you Valium PRN. Luckily I have a great PA who listens to me.

Oh, they "fixed" my hernia issue by "tacking down" all my intestines so they wouldn't kink anymore. I have been doing great as far as that goes :-).

Just celebrated my 9 year surgiversary on November 10th.

First time poster here.  I, too, came upon this forum because I googled "tightening, twisting abdominal pain."  I haven't had WLS, but will this coming spring.  I find it interesting that both sides, (recipients of weight-loss surgery & people in general), are experiencing the same symptoms. 

Last night I was sitting on the bed talking to the dog when all the sudden I had the most gut wrenching pain in my lower abdomen. It was twisting and turning.  I could literally feel it move.  The dog looked at me like I was nuts, as I writhed in pain. I screamed out loud and I remember saying.."There's an alien trying to get out of my belly."   I can laugh about it now, but at the time I was serious.

In November 2013 my doctor told me that I had a hernia.  It'll get repaired at the same time I get WLS.  I can't wait.  I sometimes get those same episodes in my right upper abdomen just under the rib cage.

Thank you, danabky  for your very informative post about your experience.  I can relate to the feeling that my intestines are moving and twisting.  I see my doctor next week!

bellesicilia
on 11/15/09 6:01 am
I also get these spasms. The best way to describe them are charlie horses in my tummy, they usually start on the side & you can actualy watch them work themselves out across my tummy, They are very painful & almost bring me to tears. I dont get them a lot but maybe once a month. I have not had WLS but I did have an umbilical hernia repair sugery about 2 1/2 yrs ago. I think its veither scar tissue or a problem with my intestines being confined or bound is some way. Im going to call the surgeon that did the repair & ask if they have heard of this. My PCP did look at me like I was nuts, then did a rectal exam. lol! Funnnn!! Anyways I'm glad I came across this forum, i dont feel like a coocoo now!
brenda h.
on 2/9/10 9:04 am
OK, I was wondering if I am having the same type of attacks, that is what we call them. I am only 6 months out from my surgery, RNY, Laproscopic, and this all started when I was almost 3 months out, I noticed one evening when I bent over to put the sheet on the bed that I suddenly had this awful pain in my mid section, mostly right upper abdomen, and this pain is quite severe, and lasts for around 20 minutes, but before it leaves I kinda throw up, you know the way you do after surgery, and sometimes this goes on for 6 or 7 times before it completely leaves. I can not connect anything other than bending and maybe lite straining. I told my surgeon but he was not really interested, and I am getting a little concerned that this has went on for months now and seems to be no end in sight.  I don't want to go back to my surgeon, I don't seem to be of importance to him, I am really not happy with him at all. But am concerned about this pain, and wonder if any of you have noticed this pain regularly at or near that time of the month, just wondering and desperately trying to figure this out.......
Tammy N.
on 2/10/10 8:56 pm - Groveland, MA
Don't give up, keep on the subject with your surgeon....there is some reason for your pain. It took me 3 years of severe pain with several tests that were negative, few trips to ER by 911, saw several different doctors and nobody could find what was causing my pain. My surgeon was getting a little aggravated herself because she knew I was in pain but couldn't figure out what the cause was since every test possible came out negative.  She finally came to the end and tried exploratory surgery and if that was negative she would have put me on pain mangement.  Well she went in and found the scar tissue from my gallbladder surgery (years ago) was attached to my liver. Since my liver shrunk it was pulling on the scar tissue causing the severe pain...it's been since October and I have been pain free for the first time out of 3 years.  I guess scar tissue does not really show up on tests. What got me was that after my surgery my surgeon looked back in her notes, she read that when she did my gastric bypass she saw the scar tissue in there but I guess they don't touch it unless there are problems. Only if she went back and read my records from the beginning. Have you been checked for ulcers? Does your pain occur after you eat?
erh03d
on 8/26/10 5:31 am - Abilene, TX

yesterday i had the very worse Charlie Horse episode in my colon (abdomin). so i googled charlie horse in my colon and found this forum and site.

this has been happening to me for years.

and YES i have had a gastric bypass. i thought maybe it was connected.
i am glad that i am NOT the only one who experiences this...only because
i felt so weird that this was happening.

it happens to me the most when i crawl in and out of bed too fast. and when the EARTHQUAKE inside hits. i have to lean over something and press everything inside. i scream and pray out loud.

i do have a med that a doctor gave me for muscle relaxation. i have a few left. i need to get it refilled.

at first i thought it was a colon problem. so i did have my colon checked and had a colonoscopy. i am glad i got that done. but he found no reason i should be having charlie horses.

he sent me to another doctor and he said i do NOT have a hernia.

and i called 911 and went to the emergency room once...but of course the episode was over by the time i got there. they could find anything. i just remember thinking i was dying.

thanks to all of your posts. now i know to keep looking until i find a doctor/surgeon to help me.

it feels like my colon and stomach are going to EXPLODE inside. very scary.

and YES, i have been driving when it happened. luckily i was able to pull over. this has happened twice. and i leaned over my car....gyrating unti the episode was over.
LOTS of people saw me, but NO one stopped to see if i was ok.

i hope to hear more from others experiencing this.
thanks, E

leslielighter
on 11/28/10 12:18 am
I am not glad we all have this symptom but I am glad that I am not the only one as I thought I had several hernias because this happens in multiple sites in my abdomen every time I sneeze, laugh, cough, bend and on and on.  It is very uncomfortable, but I am relieved that the surgery is a common denominator.  If anyone goes to the doctor, I would print out these posts and show them that we are not nuts.  I am currently uninsured so I have to tough it out.  It is obviously a result of the Laparascopic RNY procedure and/or associated vitamin/mineral deficiency.
kittecatt
on 10/18/10 5:17 am - Bartow, FL
I have not had any WLS but I too feel that charlie horse feeling ALL THE TIME.  It is usually on my left side right under my breast.  It hurts soooo bad I want to cry.  I just try moving around and rubbing it.  It happens when I cough, laugh, stretch, bend, strain or even when I'm just driving.  I have never been to the doctor for it and I am not any pain meds.  I found this post by searching for charlie horse feeling in stomach.  So although it may be related to WLS, that is not the ultimate cause.

I am 5'2" and around 190lbs.  I want the lap band surgery soooo bad.  I have fought being overweight all my life.  I gain weight if I smell food.  But I don't know where to start...
(deactivated member)
on 10/4/11 12:40 pm
OH MY GOODNESS...im starting to get scared. I just started getting these charlie horse pains in my left side. I may need to get to the doctor soon. I hope I dont have to be cut open again. Im tired of going under the knife. First the open roun-y then a massive hernia where they placed a big piece of mesh across my entire stomach, then gallbladder issues, now this. hoping my intestines are not being kinked where they are not getting blood to them..ugh..
also what vitamins is everyone out there taking that had the roun-y...im so extremely anemic that i had to get iron through an IV, and that didnt help much. I dont remember who my surgeon was.
debra72
on 2/15/12 9:01 am - hagerstown, MD
I had gastric bypass in 2002, lost 150 lbs and have been succesful in keeping it off, gain up to 20 lbs a few times but always take it off again. I started having "attacks" as they have been named by my family around two years out.  It starts with a slight pain in my stomach....it worsens until I am doubled over, breathing becomes difficult, feels like I am being squeezed and I cannot get air into my lungs.The pain is unbearable...it resembles a heart attack. I somtimes turn so pale and sweat. It scares anyone who is around me, have had people call an ambulance on more than one occasion. It passes and I never get in the ambulance. It happens randomly, early morning, late night, awakens me from sleep. I never know, I try to find a ryhme or reason, but can't. Have been to a gastroenterologist, and a cardiologist. My bariatric surgery doctor seemed unconcerned and was clueless as to the cause. I do have a very small ulcer and take nexium. I have had two in the past three weeks, one when I was at Best . I quickly left and got into my car so nobody would call an ambulance and drove home, and almost collapsed before I could get in my house. My husband was so scared, he thinks I will die while having one of these "attacks."  I wish I could stop them....they are terrible. I take care of my aging mother, and I do have stress, but I started having these long before I took on this resposibliity. I don't know what to do.   
LSpiral
on 3/5/12 1:39 pm
 Just to let you know that I stumbled upon this discussion by asking the search engine about "charlie horse in the stomach." So I'm glad to read about your experiences & to recognize that it's not a tumor or hernia, but may just be a tangled gut.

I'm not obese, but a little chubby in the belly & I don't take pain pills, nor ever had a gastric by-pass. Although, I do take Calcium, Sulfasalizene & 5mg prednisone.

When this happens to me, I can reach in there & feel a baseball size lump with muscles wrapped around & constricting it, but as I massage & knead it like dough to relax those muscles the baseball falls flat & simply disappears, nowhere to be found.

Forty years ago, I had my appendix removed & the baseballs location is between the appendix scar & my belly button in the middle of my body. I can dig around right now & it's not there, but cough, lean, crouch or let gas put pressure on it & then it forms into a ball  that rears up to spasm like a roaring lion.
Most Active
Recent Topics