High B6 levels

Elgin
on 12/13/08 6:37 am - Thunder bay, Canada
My lab results just came back and I am off the charts on my B6.  Any one else expereince this? Can't seem to find out why.\
Thanks
vitalady
on 12/14/08 9:34 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
Both Don and I have been. In our efforts to push up the other B's, it's kinda hard to pluck the B6 out of the mix.

We take a b complex 6 months on, 6 months off. The other option would be to take all the B's separately. There are 17, so no thanks, not me. We do our B12 via shot, since it tends to act like iron, not a B.

You could also do your B complex 30 days on, 30 days off or 7 days on/off, whatever your pill schedule works?

Generally I'd say we DO run high in B6, if we've got enough B1. When I suggest a plan, it's 1 B complex and a single B1. That poufs up the B1 without poufing up the B6 so much.

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

Elgin
on 12/14/08 8:29 pm - Thunder bay, Canada
Thanks for the suggestion.  It is a relief to know one is not alone when we go through this process.  I appreciate your response.
Merry Christmas
josully
on 12/30/08 1:08 pm - San Juan Capistrano, CA
HI Michelle,

My labs just showed B6 @ 55 as High but gave no reference range. Do you know what normal is? HOw high am I? I take B complex daily.

Folate @ >24 and B12 @ 965

I am RNY on 11-21-07

Thanks, Jo

LynW
on 12/15/08 9:22 am - Central IA, IA
You need to be really careful about B6.  It can be toxic.  Mine was high and I was having neuological symptoms that mimic MS or ALS.  Pretty scary.  Thousands of $ later, turns out it was an elevated B6.  My WL doc had ordered a B6 many months ago which was high.  He never bothered to tell me.  I thought B vitamins were all water soluable and an elevated one was no problem.  WRONG! 

Needless to say, I'm looking for a different WL doc.  I spent 5 months in hell thinking I had some incurable disease when all it was was too much B6.  I was taking Opitsource vitamins and a B complex liquid.  I've since stopped the B complex. 

Elgin
on 12/15/08 6:35 pm - Thunder bay, Canada
Thank you for your responses.  I am taking Optisource and a B complex as well.  I will remove the B complex  How many Optisource do you take a day?
LynW
on 12/16/08 12:57 am - Central IA, IA
I was taking 4 a day but dropped back to 3.
josully
on 12/30/08 1:02 pm, edited 12/30/08 1:10 pm - San Juan Capistrano, CA

Hi Lyn, how high was your B6 level to cause such symptoms & what should our B6 level be? Thanks, Jo

LynW
on 12/31/08 1:46 am - Central IA, IA
It was 37 with under 30 being normal.  I suspect that it was actually much higher when I was having the worst symptoms as I had started taking B complex instead of just B12 around that time. 
josully
on 1/1/09 3:32 am - San Juan Capistrano, CA
yikes! mine is 55, but I am not having any negitive symptoms. I do take a b complex, maybe I need to stop?

Most Active
Recent Topics