Caffiene

Ellen C.
on 4/27/11 9:52 pm - Charleston, SC
What about caffiene...is it ok to have?
niffer1283
on 4/28/11 12:43 am - Richmond, IN
My doctor and nutritionist okayed it after about 5 months. As with just about everything, it can be overdone, but I drink a sugar free vanilla latte every day and have Click every morning, and I'm doing just fine.

Jenny
He is ill clothed that is bare of virtue. ~~ Benjamin Franklin

RNY 05/29/2008
http://www.jensgyrations.blogspot.com

severman
on 4/28/11 4:42 am - Indianapolis, IN
This is just my opinion.  If your asking about cabonated caffienated beverages, I say don't do it!  Caffiene dehydrated you.  I made the mistake of trying them at one year post op and wish I never would have.  I am prone to ulcers and they only make them worse!  I recently gave them up because I have another ulcer.  The only time I drink coffee is when I am in the hospital on a liquid diet and that's only because it's one of the few things they will give you to choose from.

Stephanie E
Not the Same Dawn
on 4/28/11 4:57 am - BEE EFF EEE, CA
According to several studies by the Mayo Clinic, caffeine does not dehydrate you. Also, Dr Blumenfeld on Fox News on Sunday mornings says that is a myth too..But, that being said, if you have even the smallest of ulcers or an acid problems, caffeine, especially in coffee, will hurt.

Carbonated beverages are a completely different deal. Even the decaf/sugar free ones are very hard on your stomach/pouch..also, I consider them a gate way *drug* and it only leads to problems later..I stay completely away from anything that is carbonated..

I've been drinking caffeinated beverages (coffee and some drink mixes-including Crystal Light Energy) since a year out, with the blessing of my surgeon..although, he said that the minute I have any discomfort, they are probably going to go away..
Yes, RNY worked for me but it also requires a lot of work from me!

Before Surgery: 214
Highest Weight: 240
Now: 125.6
Goal: 130
seashell6417
on 4/29/11 11:14 pm - Gaylord, MN
I have been drinking one to three cups of coffee per day for quite some time and have not had any problems.  Jus****ch out for anything that you add to your coffee.  It is easy to increase your caloric intake quickly with creamers and other additives.  I do stay away from anything carbonated.  More than a sip of soda is quite painful for me and I know drinking them would start something that I might not be able to stop.
Tami

JEllen
on 4/30/11 11:35 am - Capital Region, NY
Before my surgery I used to enjoy my coffee BLACK no sugar. Immediately after surgery... I couldn't even tolerate the SMELL of coffee. As time passed, I started to really miss my morning coffee. The only way I can drink it now is with some plain Half & Half. 

It is a little thing I allow myself. NO MORE Starbucks Carmel Machiato's for me... and I don't miss them. 

MODERATION is the key for me on MOST things.
Complete avoidance on others. It works for me.

qnmimi
on 4/30/11 8:10 pm - Cottage Grove, MN
I love coffee, so I stick to one cup of caffeinated, then switch to decaf. I found I am more sensitive to caffeine post op, but I do love the protein powder in my coffee. I don't count the caffeinated coffee towards my fluid intake, according to my plan, but I know that coffee is merely a very mild diuretic.

JEllen
on 5/10/11 12:34 am, edited 5/10/11 12:39 am - Capital Region, NY

Hi... I have a question... what kind of protein powder do you add to your HOT coffee that doesn't get all Clumpy? Early out I tried adding protein powder to hot foods and it was disgusting... This morning I added some TVP to my oatmeal and that was fine... but the powders I've tried just CLUMP in hot foods & drinks.
Any suggestions?

Thanks..

JEllen

JEllen
on 5/10/11 12:38 am - Capital Region, NY
Kim S.
on 5/5/11 4:50 am - Helena, AL
I'm a coffee junkie!  I drink mine black and have several cups a day.  I'm not sensitive to caffeine--I can drink a pot and sleep like a baby.  I don't do sodas, so the only way I get caffeine is in coffee and tea (oh! and in the ocassional indulgence of dark chocolate!)

I had my coffee from day 2 after surgery.

Kim

Most Active
Recent Topics