Out of Control Weight Gain

Ellen C.
on 2/25/12 3:08 pm - Charleston, SC
I had surgery in 2004.  Went from 328 to around 150.  I have regained around 50 pounds.  I need any and all suggestions so I won't end up back at 328.  Has anyone else gone thru this?  Is there life after a regain?  God help me!  Thanks
dawn4511
on 2/26/12 6:16 am - Niagara Falls, Canada
I get where your coming from, don't have any suggestions since I'm going thru it to. I'm glad you realized before it was too late like me and you are doing something about it now. The 1st step is realizing it and the 2nd step is making a plan. Best of luck I know you can win

dawn

10/18/07 RNY ( hw 305 sw 290 lw 189ish) St Joe's 08/14/14 RNY reversal to sleeve. I survived 3 leaks,4 operations and a feeding tube.

Not the Same Dawn
on 2/26/12 10:10 am - BEE EFF EEE, CA
Seems the two of you need the same message..Here is what I posted for Dawn just a moment ago:

"First..you did not waste your opportunity..you had a baby come from that opportunity and that is never a waste!

Second, all of us have the capability to fall like you did..There but by the grace of GOD I go too! But just because you fell, doesn't mean you are a failure..you are not..

Third, you can re-lose all the weight you have gained but you have to do it. There is no magic pill, diet or surgery that can do that for you..Your pouch can be retrained, your brain can be retrained..but you have to do it..

Last of all, you only fail if you give up. Don't give up. Keep trying. All of us have to keep trying. Each and every day that we are allowed to walk on this planet is a second chance..third chance..another chance to change our ways..

Now..you're tracking your food. What are your numbers like? Protein, carbs, AND WATER..not diet pop..that stuff is crap..don't drink it..drink water! diet cola has alot of sodium and that alone will cause water weight gain making the scale number higher than it should be..

Are you eating good carbs? I mean vegetable or fruit carbs..not bread, pasta, rice and to a lesser extent, potatoes? White carbs make you more hungry when you're done than you were when you started. They take up too much room in your stomach for stuff that should be in your stomach.

Are you exercising? No excuses..walk, run, ride a bike..only you will know so no excuses..park further from the store, walk the long way in your job..take the dog out for a walk, take the kids to the park..get the family out on bikes or just walking..it's good for you and good for them..

You are welcome to come and join our accountability thread every day..We don't ever say we're failures..we are not. You're harder on yourself than you would be on your best friend..so quit doing that. You're the best friend you can have because you know what you are going through..cheer yourself on..reward your successes and over look your failures..but not with food..

Seek your local support group and go to meetings..there you can look each person in the face and find a kindred spirit or two..

Good luck to you on your journey."

You've recognized the error of your ways before it got too bad..Yes, we all go through it each and every day. You can't see yourself from yourself..you can do it and we can cheer you on..Please don't give up..we're there for you!
Yes, RNY worked for me but it also requires a lot of work from me!

Before Surgery: 214
Highest Weight: 240
Now: 125.6
Goal: 130
Kari44
on 2/26/12 10:50 am - buffalo, NY
I am in the same place, I had surgery back in 2006 and I have gained about 20 lbs and I am very frustrated.  But, this post was really something that I needed to read. We all went through a life changing experience to get to where we are and we should not give up. I think in my case of gaining weight back, I need to start with the basics.  I did it once I can do it again. I am willing to be support to anyone that needs it.
Marcia D.
on 2/26/12 11:16 am - Norman, OK
Hello all,
I have been feeling this same guilt and anxiety.  I had my surgery in 2004 and went from 250 to 109.  That was too low so I didn't mind gaining some back.  However, I am now up to 170 and need to immediately get on a plan.  I appreciate all your encouragement and offer you encouragement as well.  Does anyone have any really good protein supplements they use or are you all doing it with regular food?  I feel a need to start some drastic movement in the right direction.
Not the Same Dawn
on 2/26/12 11:24 am - BEE EFF EEE, CA

I highly recommend theworldaccordingtoeggface.com because she cooks with protein powder..I've been making my protein waffles for some time and it's the mainstay of my breakfast each and every day..I've played with making them higher in protein like last week but they are just so heavy and filling..that I didn't really like them.

With my protein waffles and occasionally eating fish..I get more than enough protein each day.

If you feel a need to move..by all means, move in that direction..and if you veer off, recompute and get back in the right direction..

This is a journey, all the same!

AlaskaArizonaGirl
on 2/27/12 8:04 am - AK
Could you please post your recipe for protein waffles,please?  Thanks!!
Not the Same Dawn
on 2/27/12 9:46 am - BEE EFF EEE, CA
2 eggs
1/2 cup cottage cheese (I use non fat)
1/2 cup soy milk (I use plain, not vanilla)
1/3 cup low carb biscuit/pancake mix - I use CarbQuick that I buy from netrition
1 scoop soy protein baking mix - I use Carb Thin Soy Protein Baking Mix..I think you can use just about any protein powder

And then for me I add 1 Tablespoon Flax Oil and 2 Tablespoons Flax Seed that I run through the grinder until it's smooth.

I blend the liquids until they are pretty whipped up and then add the powdered stuff all at once and mix just enough to get it blended.

This recipe makes four good sized waffles that fit in the toaster when I'm ready to eat them..I toast up one and put a piece of fruit (usually half an apple or half a pear, microwaved for a couple minutes) and a half a serving of sugar free pancake syrup..a serving is 1/4 cup and that's just more than I can handle..then I put a sprinkle of butter buds..

That's breakfast..

Marcia D.
on 2/27/12 12:49 pm - Norman, OK
Thanks so much for sharing your recipe.  I will definitely try this.

Not the Same Dawn
on 2/26/12 11:25 am - BEE EFF EEE, CA
What ever you do to get and give support is a great thing..You deserve the support and giving is the best way to get that support..

You are worth it!

Most Active
Recent Topics