information for those who have had weight gain

oceanwoodsangel
on 1/15/13 9:08 am

I wanted to share some information I've found over the last few days to help myself and others who are persevering to to stop weight gain and understand their bodies and pouch.

First I have to give credit to the woman who wrote some posts at mybariatric life.  She has put up some fantastic information and one that I am very thankful for and want to repost a link to are"Pouch Rules for Dummies: 

http://www.healthcentral.com/obesity/c/276918/139125/bariatric-tools

I take no credit at all for this information, I am just passing it along to you because it was helpful to me.  I am 8 years post surgery and struggling with 5-10 lb regain that I need to nip in the bud.  After reading the rules for the pouch, I was reminded that needed to remember that weightloss plans and dieting would never be normal for me.  What works for "normies" will not work for me, hence, rules for the pouch.

Second, because the healthcentral site spurred me on, I discovered that though I was watching my calories, and eating little, I was not eating enough for my body, and my body went into "starvation" mode..  I won't explain it. Instead I will refer you to a great article I found at myfitness pal.com (which I use to log in my food every day. Its a free app, and is super easy to use)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

So with research, and I encourage you to research for yourself I found out a simple formula.  I checked several places and determined that this seems to be the consensus on this subject of finding out what amount of calories you must eat daily in order for your body to survive.  

formula: body weight x 14 =  # calories needed. then subtract 30-35% of that number for the amount of calories you should eat to lose weight.  .   I went to other websites, that had me put in my height and all this other stuff and came out to about the same.

so for example someone weighing 140 lbs x 14 = 1960 is the calories her body needs daily.  now if she wants to lose weight she subtracts 30% of 1960 which is 588. 1960-588=1372 is calories she needs to consume to lose weight.

Take this formula and apply this to the article with myfitnesspal and see what happens.  That is what I am going to do. Along with the pouch rules.  Anyone want to join me?  I'll check in daily or at least 3 times a week with my progress.

remember, our surgery is a tool. let's let is work for  us!

Blessings, Tamilynn

oceanwoodsangel
on 1/16/13 8:28 am

My calculations turned out to need  1400 cal  a day.  Lots more than I have been used to eating. I have been faithfully inputting on myfitness pal. super easy to use.  I have been having 3 protein drinks a day (increased from 2 a day) . one is projoe ready to drink, and two my mocha coffee mix.  I have gotten my butt up and am walking 3-4 times  a week. 

I expect to have initial weight grain as the articles above said.  I am working on getting my body out of starvation mode and back into losing.  Anyone want to join me on this adventure?

Tamilynn

arnoldcd
on 1/18/13 12:00 am - TX

I am in! Have had a regain of 30 pounds since my lowest a few years ago.  I am five years out and my doc is not happy, nor am I.I just did not know how to do it as I know I am not normal and cannot consume the calories like others. Thank you for the post!! I am looking forward to trying this and have my fitness pal on my mobile app and ready to go! Please keep me posted on your journey!

oceanwoodsangel
on 1/18/13 7:44 am
Great. I'll try to post at least three times a week . Any else is welcome to join us too! Ok I'll start today's update here .
My fitness pal is so easy to use.
I have drank 3 protein drinks a day and averaged 90-100 gms of protein a day. Goal was to keep carbs 150 and less. Did good with that.
Took stalk of celery to work cut into 4 pieces. got some healthy peanut butter and munched on that for breakfast. I haven't been hungry. I have tried to implement the pouch rules. Having hard time not eating smaller meals. Started eating sugar free blueberry. Applesauce and that has been good too. Been walking 3 of 4 days.
I have not seen a weight loss,but was forewarned that my body was adjusting to the higher calories. Almost ate 1400 cal each day. Fit pal says that if I keep eating this way ill be down 5 lbs in 5 weeks. I did have my dark chocolate espresso bits for a snack and counted out one serving 25 pieces. ( they are small). It's week I felt in control of food without being hungry. I'm excited! How did you do Arnoldcd?
Blessings,tamilynn
charlene1
on 1/18/13 8:24 am - Wilmington, NC

I need to start this as well.  I'll be 4 years post op in May and have gained 20 pounds.  I know I'm not eating right and have fell back into some old habits.  I keep telling myself I didn't go through gastric bypass for nothing.  My highest weight was 317, currently at 175 (up from 155).  I'm going to sit down and use this information to figure what my calorie intake should be and start writing down everything I eat.  Wish me luck. 

oceanwoodsangel
on 1/18/13 10:00 am

woo hoo!  Welcome Charlene!  The more the merrier.  I am at 146 up from 137 but my goal is 130.  There, like you I put it in writing.  I weigh myself every day, but I'll count my weight loss  from the day I started which was last tuesday.  Next tuesday I'll post my 1 week weight .   

arnoldcd
on 1/18/13 10:54 pm - TX
good morning! did my calculating per your formula, and was shocked to see i need 1600 calories to lose!!i was using the basic 1200 and want losing a thing. i havealso given up diet soda completely, and dunk 8-10 glasses of water per day. i feel so much better! walling is on the list next week. and I'm one pound down. i have gained 30 since my lowest, but feel comfortable losing 15. i feel i look great at that weight. I pledge to try my best to check in at least 3 times per week too! lets keep this thread going! and, thank you again, for helping me with that formula. starving is not fun!
oceanwoodsangel
on 1/19/13 10:10 pm

sounds like a plan to me. thank you for being an encouragement to me in this quest as well!  Three of us so far...anyone else want to join in?

_aprilh_
on 1/20/13 11:15 am - OK

I'm in... I am almost 2 years out and have found myself falling back into old habits and eating/drinking around my pouch. I am up about 10 pounds from my lowest. I would like to get into a routine that works and that I can live with. It looks like I need about 1900 calories for my size - I am a 6'0" woman and right now I am at 198 pounds. I got down to about 188. I really need someone to be accountable to so I think this group will be great! I will start tomorrow morning and follow the pouch rules. I also plan on starting an exercise regime - I had knee replacement last May and it is time to put it to work. :) I will walk on a mini trampoline and use a stationary bike with weights. Wish me luck and talk to you soon!

"I can do all things through Christ who strenthens me!"
 April ~ 39y/o, 6'0", HW 292, SW 268.4, CW 188, BMI 26.7

oceanwoodsangel
on 1/21/13 9:49 am

Welcome April!  We have to encourage each other!  It sure does help!!! Sounds like you have a good plan!!

Blessings, Tamilynn

Most Active
Recent Topics