CHECKING IN: Information for those who have had weight gain post

oceanwoodsangel
on 1/28/13 10:11 am

I'm checking in as I said I would in my original post ( I re-copied it at the end of this post for reference for those who can't find it on the message board)

I have been faithful to myfitnesspal entries everyday, and kept my calories near the 1400 mark.  I've increased my exercise too.  Tomorrow is weigh in and we'll see how I do.  I do feel better in control of my food, and am more conscious of what I eat and how I eat it.  How did you do this week?  Come on gang....check in.  Accountability is good for us!!

blessings,

Tamilynn

**repost from previous message on board**

I wanted to share some information I've found over the last few days to help myself and others who are persevering to to stop weight gain and understand their bodies and pouch.

First I have to give credit to the woman who wrote some posts at mybariatric life.  She has put up some fantastic information and one that I am very thankful for and want to repost a link to are"Pouch Rules for Dummies: 

http://www.healthcentral.com/obesity/c/276918/139125/bariatric-tools

I take no credit at all for this information, I am just passing it along to you because it was helpful to me.  I am 8 years post surgery and struggling with 5-10 lb regain that I need to nip in the bud.  After reading the rules for the pouch, I was reminded that needed to remember that weightloss plans and dieting would never be normal for me.  What works for "normies" will not work for me, hence, rules for the pouch.

Second, because the healthcentral site spurred me on, I discovered that though I was watching my calories, and eating little, I was not eating enough for my body, and my body went into "starvation" mode..  I won't explain it. Instead I will refer you to a great article I found at myfitness pal.com (which I use to log in my food every day. Its a free app, and is super easy to use)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

So with research, and I encourage you to research for yourself I found out a simple formula.  I checked several places and determined that this seems to be the consensus on this subject of finding out what amount of calories you must eat daily in order for your body to survive.  

formula: body weight x 14 =  # calories needed. then subtract 30-35% of that number for the amount of calories you should eat to lose weight.  .   I went to other websites, that had me put in my height and all this other stuff and came out to about the same.

so for example someone weighing 140 lbs x 14 = 1960 is the calories her body needs daily.  now if she wants to lose weight she subtracts 30% of 1960 which is 588. 1960-588=1372 is calories she needs to consume to lose weight.

Take this formula and apply this to the article with myfitnesspal and see what happens.  That is what I am going to do. Along with the pouch rules.  Anyone want to join me?  I'll check in daily or at least 3 times a week with my progress.

remember, our surgery is a tool. let's let is work for  us!

Blessings, Tamilynn

oceanwoodsangel
on 1/28/13 7:36 pm
Ok weighed-in. Up a pound. Ok I lost a lb last week when I was warned that at first I would gain. So this must be my gain week. I will keep doing what I know is right and checking in, keeping myfitnesspal and exercising. Though I don't feel too stellar with the scale today I won't give up.
Tamilynn
Deedles
on 1/29/13 1:59 am - Highlands, TX

After using your formula last week I adjusted my goals on MFP to 1700 cal a day from 1200. I never got anywhere close to that, I'd be grazing all day to hit it! I didn't do without, ate decent meals, although I could be better about planning meals, and healthy snacks. I think my highest day was 1400 and that was hard! That said...I lost 2 lbs. I think it's due to cutting out so much soft food and the mindless boredom eating more than increased calories. Now I just need to get my butt out of this chair and move!

I'll continue on this week and see how it goes.

Dee ..... ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>
My new G.O.A.L. ~~~~ Get Out And Live!

Includes 61lbs lost before surgery

Leslie P.
on 1/29/13 9:08 am - Yucca Valley, CA

Hello.  Doing well.  Keeping it close to my goal number which is 1750.  I have a couple of go to options for breakfast, lunch and dinner and when I am on target I really don't deviate.  I weigh once a month on the first so that doesn't happen until Friday.  One of the things I do that has been helpful is taking one weekend a month and doing a mass cook.  I make two batches of split pea/ham soup (high fiber, good protein), a white chicken chili that has a great protein count and a southwestern, quinoa chicken bake that also has a good protein count.  I also have other go to meals I make for dinner.  One of my goals is to add some other options and mix it up a bit.  I feel like I eat pretty whole food with the exception of protein powder in the morning, non-dairy/sugar free creamer for my coffee and protein bars that I do sometimes for snacks or breakfast on the run.  So that's me.  (Sorry if there are spelling/grammar errors - its almost impossible to edit on my iPad)

High Weight:  394                     Surgery Weight:  345

Here's to never forgetting where I came from so I never have to return...
oceanwoodsangel
on 1/29/13 10:33 am
Woo hoo! What I like best is that we all are trying and making good changes. That has to amount to something! Keep up the good work, I know I'm not giving up!! Today my husband bought me a treat. Wile I might have wanted to eat two, I looked at the label and ate one and was below calorie goal for the day!! It's all about choices isn't it?
Leslie P.
on 1/29/13 11:49 am - Yucca Valley, CA

Very much so.  Congratulations on your choice!

High Weight:  394                     Surgery Weight:  345

Here's to never forgetting where I came from so I never have to return...
JimsBrat
on 1/30/13 1:52 am

I'm so grateful for your original post Tamilynn I have used myfitnesspal daily  and I love it !  It couldn't be easier I use the bar code scanner and it take less than a minute to put in a meal.  I have been real close to my goal of 1,600. I have my shakes as snacks to keep from having my slider/carb filled snacks. I lost a pound and that feels great.  For the first time I am focusing on what I can and am eating and not what I can't/ shouldn't eat my goal is to have a healthy balanced wls diet every day for the rest of my life not get to the magic number and forget what I have done to get there like I did last time. Lesson learned for me my wls journey is a till death do us part kind of thing I will have to consider the fact that my choices and actions effect my wls and how successful it is or isn't.

Have a great day !

Kristi

Height 5' 7"   ~  HW 264  ~ SW 234 ~ GW 160 or less made goal with in 1 year ~ regain now back on track

oceanwoodsangel
on 1/30/13 9:27 am

woo hoo Kristi!!!!    Well, we do need each other.  , and you have encouraged me too.  We'll just keep in control by myfitnesspalling and make great progress!!!  Determination got us thru the surgery, and weight loss. Determination will help us maintain.

blessings, Tamilynn

MyBariatricLife
on 1/31/13 10:12 am

(((HUGS)))

Thanks for your very kind words of endorsement!

MBL

QponDealer
on 2/3/13 12:09 am

Hell-o all! I am new on here and am thankful to find those of you striving to get on track and like me kick these regained lbs. I am just over 2 years out and have put on 15lbs. I have already lost a few of them by trying to change things back slowly. Right now I am working on getting 1 protein shake in daily and drinking 8 glasses of water.

I use sparkpeople.com to log my calories in but have to be honest I am not the most diligent about it. Though that is surely something I can strive to be better at.

To be honest... I really never have dumped.. (I've foamed though... ouch) and not having any dumping makes it pretty easy to eat the stuff I know isn't good for me. I am thankful my surgery went as well as it did... I started at 249 and dropped to 155 in about 6-7mos... now I have regained a bit... and am at 167. Emotionally I am having a horrible time with it... but I am trying to pick up the pieces and move forward a few baby steps at a time.

I hope this finds everyone well.. and I look forward to us all picking up the pieces and losing again together.

Most Active
Recent Topics