smoothies/juicing

jojogirl
on 2/6/14 6:51 am

I am 12 years out. Everything was fine with my weight until I had my leg crushed which slowed down my exercise a little. I gained about 10 lbs in 1 year. Then I get breast cancer, hypo thyroidism, chemo induced menopause, chemo & rad. by the time I was done in April '13 I'd gained 40 lbs.  I've been eating lots of fruits and veggies, no red meat. I cant lose 1 pound. I've been told to juice or do smoothies. Whats anyones advice on that to lose weight?  I'd think juicing would be too much sugar from the fruits. I don't know, I  just know I hate feeling this big and swore to myself I never would be and now I am. Thanks for any advice.

Jessica285
on 2/6/14 7:44 am - UT

I'm sorry you've been though so much.  I hope you are in remission now.  I has been my experience with family and friends that lots of people like to advise cancer patients to go on vegetarian type diets, but you really, really, really need the protein.  Those who keep the most protein in their diets seem to do well on dropping the weight and maintaining their strength.  I would advise against juicing, as it just gives you the fruit/vegetable sugars with no fiber to slow down the absorbtion.  Being so many years out from your initial surgery, and having been through so much, I would recommend going back to the basics.  The guidance has probably even changed since your surgery, so the basics I was given include: 1) Eat real foods (stay away from processed/pre-made/boxed food), 2) Cut out sugar (it sneaks in everywhere, so when you need sweets, stick to a few bites of something you really want, or something made with REAL food ingredients.  Go for a couple squares of dark chocolate and berries rather than a processed candybar), 3) Proteins first!! Fish, chicken, turkey, beef (not sure why you aren't eating any beef above, but you can leave it out if you are getting your proteins from other sources).  The recommendations from my surgeon is 80+ grams of protein per day.  4) Hydrate... if you aren't getting enough fluids, your body cannot do everything it is supposed to... from absorbing your nutrients to helping your body cleanse the blood. 5) Move... Even if it's just walking, taking the stairs, etc. Keep your body moving.  And last, but definitely not least, remember everything you have been through and give yourself a pat on the back!!  You are a strong, amazing woman, and you can do this.  Just take it one day at a time. ;)  Best wishes to you on your success and your continued good health!

Highest: 297 lbs/Lowest 127 lbs/Maintaining at 140-145 lbs

RNY Nov 2009/Perforated Ulcers Jan 2010/Revised to modified VSG Dec 2011      

jojogirl
on 2/6/14 9:05 am

Hi, Thanks for the reply and info. I try to stay active but the leg injury is a problem. I don't like red meat so I don't eat it. I eat chicken, turkey and fish. I don't keep track of my protein anymore but guess I should start. I never had to worry about regaining, I was very active and the weight stayed off. Congratulations on your weight loss !!!

Colleen

Jen Lyn
on 2/8/14 12:04 pm
RNY on 11/11/13

Jessica gave a great answer.  You have been through a lot and I am so glad you are recovering.
Protein really has made a difference in my health. I was told to eat more protein even before surgery but I now get enough.  I feel healthier than I did in college.

Most Active
Recent Topics