HYPOGLYCEMIA

mxm622
on 3/22/14 1:03 am

I'm scared!! Has this happened to anyone here? I know what I need to do, but it's still scary and need some reassurance....Thank you....

SMR09
on 3/24/14 4:37 am

I am 4 1/2 years out from VSG.  I can get hypoglycemic if I go for more that 4 hours without eating.  Or if I eat a high sugar snack on an empty stomach.  (reactive hypoglycemia) The best thing to do if you get it is to drink some milk. or eat a couple of crackers with peanut butter on them.  And don't skip meals.  Or eat a high sugar snack. Balance the carbs with protein at all times.  Does this help?  If not be more specific on what you need.

jimjayhawk
on 3/24/14 6:22 am
RNY on 02/10/13

I'm a little over a year out from RNY and have had 3 hypoglycemic episodes. 2 when I went too long between meals (with relatively heavy exertion - snow shoveling) and one after eating carbs without protein. Discussed with my NUT - her advice parallels SMR09 - protein with ANY carbs, avoid high sugar snacks (she recommends less than 8 grams sugar/serving); be sure to eat meal before exertions... 

Diminishing Dawn
on 4/13/14 11:53 am - Windsor, Canada

Been living with it for 5 years or so. 

Keep your carbs under 25 grams per meal 

never eat carbs without proteins. 

If I can help, message me

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

jastypes
on 5/5/14 3:33 am - Croydon, PA

Reactive Hypoglycemia is a not uncommon side effect years out from surgery.  You can research and learn.  My best advice is to stick with the plan of 6 small meals a day.  It happens to me only if I eat too many carbs at one time.

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

Most Active
Recent Topics