I had VSG 3 years ago dropped 135 been gaining back and experiencing pain

jbskaggs
on 4/20/14 11:58 am - holt, MO

Well after 3 years  I have gained weight I dont know how much as I just bought a scale but not used it. I also find myself in some like I was in the beginning:  mentally hungry all the freaking time.  I somehow thought that my desires would change with time.  They did not.  I never lost the head hunger.  I have not had any type of carbonated drink in 3 ears and I did lose the desire for those.  But I never gained the to be full and not hungry-  in other words I had conditioned myself to gorge at every meal, so that even if I am stuffed to the gills my mind is not full just my gut.  

The first two years it was easy to lose weight as the pain of overeating  was too strong, but now I am use to the pain and so can eat more now-  but then later I am in real agony from the resulting reflux, the feeling of wanting to puke, and that weird feeling pressure in my chest when I overeat.

So today I grew tired of it.  I am going on a liquid soft foods diet for a week.  To give my poor stomach a chance to heal from the abuses of the past year and a chance refocus on my health.

Anyone  else gone down this path?  Any thing that worked for head hunger after years?

JB Skaggs

GreenGardener
on 4/23/14 2:27 am
VSG on 06/02/09 with

JB - you might want to try Overeaters Anonymous.  They have lots of tools that are useful for head hunger.  If you don't have any face to face meetings where you are, there are resources on line. 

SD:  6/09; HW:  263;  LW:  143; CW:  155; 5'5"; 62 yo
jbskaggs
on 4/23/14 2:29 am - holt, MO

Ill check them out.

White Dove
on 4/24/14 12:13 am - Warren, OH

As you know, surgery fixes our stomach and not our heads.  Dumb surgeons.  I could never do this without a scale.  I have to weigh daily to keep out of denial.  I also have to track everything I eat and drink.  I have gone to Weigh****chers and Overeaters Anonymous.   

I believe high protein and low carb is pretty essential to maintaining.  A liquid soft foods diet is OK if you are measuring and tracking the calories.  It is easy to drink a lot of calories.  A better plan for you will be high protein and high fiber with low carbs. 

Using that scale is going to be important.  You need to face up to where you are and then come up with a plan to get back to where you want to be. 

If you are going to stuff yourself, do it with protein.  Eat as much as you want of turkey breast, chicken, steak, pork.

Fighting regain is part of this journey.  Everyone goes through this at some point.  Just take a deep breath and realize that you are human, you still have a tool that you can start working again, and you can get the weight off again.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

jbskaggs
on 4/24/14 1:07 am - holt, MO

thank you! you encapsulated what I was already thinking:)  I did buy a scale and I am losing 1 lbs a day.  Im sure that will taper down after a week or so.  As far as diet this week has been mostly soft foods.  I am looking into what to buy for next week.  But you are correct high calorie drinks, carbs, and sugars are the killers:)  

JB

datachick
on 4/24/14 3:33 am - WA
VSG on 10/26/12

The main reason I did all of this besides the weight loss, was to not live with all that crap in my head any more. Get some help for that, or you'll have it forver. Maybe try a counselor or therapist for a while in addition to WW and/or OA. Can't hurt.

Also, are you regularly active? Being around others who are active makes that easier. Try meetup.com or some other similar thing to hook up with a walking group or something. You can build up a lot of good habits, one little step at a time. Good luck, let us know how it goes.

VSG 10/26/12 • HEIGHT 5'4"
GW = 140 lbs met Month 9
CW = 133
lbs
Loss per Month: 8 >  9 > 7 > SURGERY  > 15 > 10 > 10 > 10 > 7 > 5 > 6
  > 6 > 5 > 5 > 0

It works if you work it; it sorta works if you sorta work it; and it doesn't work if you don't work it.

jbskaggs
on 4/24/14 4:30 am - holt, MO

thanks

Jane E.
on 4/29/14 11:24 am - Lawrenceville, GA
VSG on 01/04/08 with

I had my 6 year anniversary in January.  I have kept my weight under control.  Last year it started climbing but only a little;

since the anniversary I am up 18 pounds.  I am just sick.  I can't seem to control myself, just like before.  I don't know what I'll do if can't stop eating.

Jane

jbskaggs
on 4/29/14 1:28 pm - holt, MO

Youll get thru it :)

Bliss149
on 5/6/14 7:24 pm

Jane, I right there with you. It hit very suddenly and suddenly every time I would weigh I would see a small gain. I told myself when it started that I would cut back/clean up/do what I had to do to put a stop to it but what I've done hasn't been successful. I'm really scared.

Most Active
Recent Topics