4.5 years out and my body is getting more sensitive to sugar

Emily D.
on 4/21/14 1:23 pm - MD

I had my rny back in 2009. I have been aware that I have been sensitive to sugar since about a year after surgery. I have experienced a number of hypoglycemic episodes. I have mostly dealt with it by just finding out what food caused it and avoiding it or only eating a small amount. The past one or two months have been different though. I seem to dump (rapid heartbeat being the most obvious symptoms)  due to sugar sensitivity much more than usual. This all can be controlled by diet still, but I am worried that it seems to take less sugar to cause dumping or experience hypoglycemia. I been steady in weight for two years now and there has not been any major changes the past couple months. Going to my primary tomorrow and probably setting up an appt with my surgeon after my next paycheck, but any insight as to why this happening now would be helpful. 

Emily D.
on 4/21/14 1:27 pm - MD

I also try to eat protein when i have higher sugar food. just fyi

White Dove
on 4/24/14 12:18 am - Warren, OH

It helps to eat the high sugar food on a full stomach for me.  Obviously it is best to avoid it altogether, but my dumping episodes have always been eating sugar on an empty stomach.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

GinaDC
on 5/13/14 7:25 am

I'm 13 years out from my RnY and the sugar sensitivity/dumping has getting worse in the last 6 months. I just saw a G.I. doctor yesterday since there are no bariatric surgeons within 150 miles from me. He mentioned that the opening from the stomach to the small intestine may be stretched and the food is dumping faster, plus I drink a lot of water with meals. I am going back to small meals, no liquids, watching what makes me sick and seeing if that helps. The doctor ordered a CT scan of my insides also. I asked about revision surgery since I have also gained back 50# and he said it would be last case scenario after I go back to eating the way I'm "supposed to".

Hope that helps a little...

Most Active
Recent Topics