Had revision from rny and Dr did wrong surgery - help

Cowboy58
on 5/24/14 5:54 am

Hello folks,  this is my first post and I need some help support.  I had a RNY in 1997 that never worked that great.  I lost 50lbs but over the years it came back.  I got approved for revision surgery at the beginning of 2014 after waiting almost 1 year going Thur the insurance hoops. 

I got approved for the DS or specifically the BPD/DS based on recommendations.  I just got my surgery records and I found that the surgeon only did a BPD.  Basically just made the limb longer.  Why I am so frustrated is that besides the water weight I lost in the first 2 weeks, I haven't lost any weight.  I am so upset and can't I went thru this for nothing.  I haven't lost anything in 5 weeks and I am 7 weeks post op.   

I tried to ask the surgeon at the last visit but he just got upset and defensive and said to only weight myself every other month.  

I am also bummed that the insurance approved the correct surgery and I didn't get it, would they approve another one?  Any help would be appreciated.. Al

Tri_harder
on 5/26/14 8:11 am
gram247
on 8/6/14 10:15 pm

If your surgeon hid the fact that he did the wrong procedure you may have some recourse through the courts. Contact your local bar for advice and attorneys WH do medical malpractice.

Jackie T.
on 5/27/14 4:44 am - KS
VSG on 12/19/12

He is concentrating on the wrong issue.  You have two issues going on, 1 he did not do the surgery you were expecting and he needs to answer as to why.  He is probably hoping that you will go away.  You may have a lawsuit on that.  You might call the nurse and speak with her to see if she can get you some answers and then if you don't get anywhere, let them know you will be contacting the licensing board since they will not answer your question.  Hopefully they will answer and they can explain the medical necessity of not doing the entire surgery.

As far as not losing anything, you do need to be patient and I know it is very hard.  Your body is still recovering from surgery, you may not be getting all of your water and protein intake in and this will play havoc on the scale.  If getting on the scale is going to upset you and/or deter your progress then you need to stay off of it.  Also make sure you have taken your body measurements.  Sometimes when the scale is not moving your body shape will be and it will help keep you on track.  Make sure you are following your program so that if you do have to sue, you can say you have been 100% compliant.

I wish you luck!

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

gram247
on 8/6/14 10:12 pm

Cowboy, first things first. Make sure that you have all of your records from your surgery, including all insurance records, with the approvals for surgery. The get aii medical and treatment records.

once you have this information, you have 2 options. First writs to tour doctor's malpractice insurance company and make a claim for malpractice or the better option is to contact an attorney who pursues claims/ suits on behalf of patients fo malpractice. Since he did the wrong procedure, it is malpractice. More inpomtantlt he hid it from you. Act as quickly as possible - get an attorney on board to help you. Particularly if you want to have the correct surgery in the future..

Most Active
Recent Topics