Vegan or non dairy protein drinks that AREN'T gross??

mxm622
on 5/25/14 2:02 am

I am so bloated & gassy ( sorry if it's TMI ) from protein shakes. Does anyone know of any at all that aren't milk based & aren't gross?? I had my RNY in April of 2009. I'm pretty much where I want to be, give or take 5 pounds or so. I have developed Reactive Hypoglycemia & am doing ok with it. My surgeon wants me to have protein every few hours. I saw the nutritionist and explained to her that I'm never hungry. She said I could use protein drinks / shakes for meal replacements, & that I didn't have to force actual food down my throat if I'm not hungry. So, I've yet to find any that are edible that AREN'T milk based. Any ideas??

Eggface
on 5/26/14 8:37 am - Sunny Southern, CA

I taste tested one the other day (mixed with Almond Milk) it was one of the better ones I've had: Nutra Summa Pea Protein not bad... it was being sampled at my local health food store. I believe it was 20 grams of protein a serving, might be wrong on that but I was surprised at how tasty it was... I always get asked about that (being a wls food blogger) you are not alone.

Hope it does the trick.

~Michelle "Shelly"

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Jackie T.
on 5/27/14 4:46 am - KS
VSG on 12/19/12

I used Unjury.  They have a chicken broth and then they have unflavored or strawberry that I mixed with crystal light.  They are on the sweeter side but I do not like milk shakes so I couldn't handle the other protein drinks.

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

Eggface
on 5/27/14 10:02 am - Sunny Southern, CA

Unless they have a new version? Unjury is a Whey Isolate so not vegan though.

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Jackie T.
on 5/27/14 12:12 pm - KS
VSG on 12/19/12

Sorry missed the vegan part. 

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/28/14 3:14 am

I need dairy - soy free drinks. 

So many I tried - I could not handle.  

But I think I found 2 brands that may work for me:

Vega brand

About Time -Vegetarian... (I just got samples of chocolate and vanilla - and so farI like the chocolate - have not tried vanilla yet)

Also Hemp protein is "drinkable" ... has earthy taste - but not too bad... 

There are also egg white proteins shakes...

Soy proteins maybe be an option - but even if I were not allergic to it- I would not use that.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

AdeanaMarie
on 6/3/14 4:29 am - MI
VSG on 03/08/12

I really like Plantfusion, chocolate flavor.  I get it on Amazon.  About $30 for 30 servings.  It is an acquired taste, but I have been drinking it for over 2 years now, every day.  It is vegan, soy free, dairy free and gluten free.  Check it out.  

http://www.amazon.com/Plant-Fusion-Supplement-Chocolate-Pound/dp/B0021FAITU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1401820136&sr=8-1&keywords=plantfusion+chocolate

“Not many of us are living at our best.  We linger in the lowlands because we are afraid to climb the mountains.  The steepness and ruggedness dismay us, and so we stay in the misty valleys and do not learn the mystery of the hills.  We do not know what we lose in our self indulgence.  What glory awaits us if only we had the courage for the mountain climb.  What blessing we should find if only we would move to the uplands of God.?  JRM

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/7/14 12:09 am

Acquired taste for the plant fusion is right.   I can't get used it it. Also the Sun Warrior brand makes me choke after just a few sips.  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

squirlyboo
on 7/2/14 9:01 am - GA

Green smoothie girl has some decent ones . also her chocolate green light drink is REALLY good. 

Most Active
Recent Topics