Pregnant and fearing the glucose test!

Brandi F.
on 5/31/14 10:31 pm - Kissimmee, FL

Hi all, I am 11 weeks pregnant and doing well; I'm also 5 years post-gastric bypass.  At my last appointment (around 9 weeks) the doctor said that having had a gastric bypass makes me predisposed to gestational diabetes and she wanted me to take a glucose tolerance test now (instead of around 24 weeks when pretty much all moms are tested).  The test involves drinking a solution with about 50 grams of glucose in 5 minutes and then having your blood tested an hour later.  I am really freaked out by this.  I mean, a half cup of ice cream can send me to bed for an hour, let alone chugging 50 grams of glucose!  Surely there is another way to test me.  It seems to me borderline unsafe to ask a gastric bypass patient to try this test.  Also, have any of you heard that gastric bypass predisposes you to gestational diabetes?  I can't find any information on it.

Beckypooh
on 6/1/14 7:58 am - DeBary, FL

I think I ended up doing ok with it... just plan to have someone with you to drive you home in case you have cramps, etc.  As for the predisposition to diabetes... I'm surprised by that as I had no problems carrying my twins 2 years after surgery that "cured" my own existing Type II diabetes at the time. The only thing I think did affect me what so much breast tissue loss from weight loss that I couldn't successfully breast feed my twins. Other than that everybody was healthy and great by the time I delivered at 39 weeks. I had a hernia the whole time but waited about a year after delivery to have it repaired. Best wishes to you!

Becky

LiViAnN_mommy
on 6/1/14 8:09 am - Citrus heights, CA

I had not heard that before and did alittle reading and it seems that it would be the other way around....

when I was 3 years out I got pregnant and avoid the test as long as I could! I never dump but this made me so sick I couldn't even fini**** It showed that I didn't process it right.... Duh! And my doc said I had gestational diabetes. After that they allowed me to do the blood test but he didn't really seem to care about it. After talking to a NUT I found out my fasting was fine and he believed that I didn't have it and after normal numbers for a few weeks I thought so too....

Long story short, don't do it! You can do a fasting blood test, not sure of the name of it, and do your research. 

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/4/14 2:25 am

I would not do that.  You will be putting extra stress on you and the baby.. Hope they can find other ways. 

A1C is a good test to check that...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

cjonsite
on 6/11/14 2:14 am

I would question if it is really necessary.  Even at 7 years out this would make me dump!  A glucose tolerance test is getting to be pretty routine for many soon to be moms.....double check that is really needs to be done.  Can you show him/her what your eating habits consists of?  And no...I have not ever heard of gestation diabetes for gastric bypass. 

Most Active
Recent Topics