I am 6 1/2 years out and need help and advice..

cindymissouri
on 6/20/14 4:02 pm
RNY on 01/06/15

I had good loss .. I lost 34 lbs before surgery and 99 after, but was stll 100 pounds from goal..  then i just stopped losing..  I have no idea why, and I have tried and tried all these years..  Yes i have slipped and been frustrated..  real life has happened..  This has been a very hard last year and I have gone back to simple carbs and have now gained back 30 pounds..  I want to stop this now ..  period.  MY mind is made up, i will not gain all this back.  I did not have the surgery to gain it back.  I have always been disappointed that I didn't lose more than i did..  I have never never understood that.. I tried so hard and i exercised and still do..  I asked my doctor what size pouch he made it and was told he did them by sight so I have no idea.. will the pouch test tell me now how much my stomach will hold and help get me back on track?

also does anyone have a structured back to basics plan i can follow..  I ate 0 carbs except veggies last week and lost 2 pounds of fluid.. then they came back..   

Lost 34 lbs before surgery

megawatt823
on 6/22/14 11:41 am - Denver, CO

Hi Ms Cindy!!

I feel your pain, sister.  I got down to 177, then regained 46 pounds!!

What I did to get back on track was cut out:  No MORE BOOZE! I had a BAD transfer addiction and realized that when real life gets in the way, we fall back into old habits.  We had a heck of year last year (the hubs and I) and we were both drinking too much. 

I cut out all sugar, all simple carbs - no rice, no grains, no breads, no potatoes, nothing white.  NOTHING out of a box.  No processed foods at all and I have never gone back to soda...last soda I drank was 1/8/2010, 3 days before my Gastric Bypass.

I had total hip replacement (at 44 YO!) on 4/1/2014 and lost 17 pounds in 2 weeks.  I have been keeping it up, now back under 200.

I use MyFitnessPal to log everything I eat, drink and every exercise I complete.  I am under megawatt823 if you want to friend me. 

It IS a struggle and if you look at my blog on this site, you can see I wrote a very long post about regain and how I am back on track.  I also posted in WLS Grads, 46 lb regain in the title. 

I did do the pouch test a few times but with my carbing it up and boozing it up, I still gained. 

Now, I have a renewed sense of commitment to my tool and ...the weight is coming off.

YOU CAN DO IT!!

HUGS!

Megan

cindymissouri
on 6/22/14 12:06 pm
RNY on 01/06/15

Thanks for sharing. Art least I don't drink. That makes it easier !  

megawatt823
on 6/22/14 12:49 pm - Denver, CO

It was so hard for me, due to family BS and I wanted to NOT deal with it BUT!! Drinking away ones sorrows is HORRIBLE.

I feel so much better that I am OFF the booze and trying to move past the family BS!! :)

Cheers!

Megan

jastypes
on 6/23/14 2:48 am - Croydon, PA

I got back on track by going back to WLS support group meetings, meeting with a registered dietician who works with bariatric patients, and working the 12-steps of Overeaters Anonymous.  I'm not sure why you only lost so much, although I have found that my body seems to have a comfortable, resting weight that is higher than I would have liked.  I've learned to live with it, as my surgeon and dietician agree that I am in maintenance phase, and I am eating in a way that fuels my body.  I don't really see any purpose to the pouch test.  I also think a lot of people run to revision surgery when it really is a matter of getting back on track, and the tool still works when you work it. 

I would discuss your concerns with your surgeon and his/her staff for their input.

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

cindymissouri
on 6/23/14 3:26 am
RNY on 01/06/15

Thank you Jill. I am doing what you suggested already. I have pushed the thought of revision away Obviously for many years. I am just beyond the point off frustration.  Ib have an appointment with the bariatric nutritionist the 15th then the Dr again after. 

devonnec
on 6/23/14 8:15 am - Paducah, KY
I am 6yrs post gastric bypass and I have gained weight like crazy. I started at 364lbs, then after bypass I had dropped to 220 and have never been able to lose anymore after that. Now, I weigh 260, I'm trying to eat right and exercise but I am disgusted with myself. I can't believe I have allowed the weight to creep up on me like that. I am thinking about a revision or something to get me totally back on track. I want to get down to about 180 lbs. That was my goal weight when I started but never made it. I am bound and determined to get this weight off for GOOD!! I just need some ideas as to what I need to do.
Time is of the essence....let's make the best of it!!

cindymissouri
on 6/23/14 9:13 am
RNY on 01/06/15

Or stories are so very similar but I had the sleeve.  Hopefully we can figure something out.  By the easy I live an hour abd a half from you!

sirenitycalling
on 6/26/14 3:05 am - OH

Regain and getting back on track was the support group's topics last night at the meeting I went to.

Here is my center's list to help:

Keep a food log, awareness and accountability

Meet protein goal every day

No more than 3 meals & 1-2 snacks per day

Meals are about 1/2 to 1 cup in size *I need to work on this one* 

Eating should take between 10 to 30 minutes, no longer to halt grazing

Stop drinking 15 minutes before and continue drinking 1 hour after

cindymissouri
on 6/26/14 4:46 am
RNY on 01/06/15

Thank you. The not drinking water for so long is the hardest fir me. I need to get back to that for sure.   Thanks so much for posting. I am not in a big town.  I wish we had an active support group

Most Active
Recent Topics