* Losing Many Teeth!! *

lisashe
on 7/5/14 3:59 pm - Cary, NC

Anyone else that had RNY losing teeth?! I had RNY 11 years ago. Started at 341, got down to 117. Was between 145-165 for years until this past fall. Gained 25 lbs due to mom's passing.... now weigh 183....fell back in old habits. Anyway... As of ten days ago, I have lost ELEVEN teeth!! OMG I am lactose intolerant since surgery, and all I have taken for calcium is Tums. That was per my doc at the time. I have not seen him in 9 years... 

~ Lisa ~

Meredith K.
on 7/6/14 11:32 am

I have not lost any teeth, however the health of my teeth have declined rapidly. I can go in for a cleaning and get teeth filled and a year later have to get more fillings from cavities!-- i swear I brush my teeth and quite effectively. I am 6 years out, like you I have fallen back into old habits too. I was down to 140 and right now am at 165ish. I have def heard from my dentist they are seeing more gastric bypass folks with teeth issues. I am not lactose intolerant but I don't take my supplements as I should.

NorthernGem
on 7/7/14 9:30 pm, edited 7/7/14 9:31 pm - Sudbury, Canada

26 years since WLS and I have no molars left in my mouth and I too am Lactose Intolerant. 

sp1209
on 7/8/14 2:57 am - AL

Yes!! I have lost plenty. Now have 2 bridges! I have been very much taking my calcium every day. Maybe this would have happened anyway but guess I'll never know. No milk for me but I do eat cheese, yogurt and other good for me things.

Diminishing Dawn
on 7/10/14 12:01 am - Windsor, Canada

I'm so sorry this is happening to you. 

On the various boards I read, I do see this happening to many.   Part of the issue is the "tums" since back then many of our surgeons didn't know that citrate was a better form for us and that bone mass density should be tested along our journey.  I'm so sorry that this is happening.   Please pass on your news to the newbies who insist on listening to surgeons that don't share best practices with their patients.

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Nay7529
on 7/11/14 10:52 pm - Westbury, NY

I have lost almost all of my teeth. I am also 10 years out and it is because of the extreme vitamin deficiency this surgery has done to our systems. The teeth that I do have left are severely deteriorated and will need to be replaced also. Probably looking at full dentures before I'm 45.

H8TheW8 K8
on 7/17/14 5:58 am

I am so sorry. It sounds to me like a few things, eating throughout the day (causes more of an acidic environment in your mouth), malabsorption of D (likely from the surgery--well definitely from the surgery), and acid reflux. Acid is the absolute worst thing for teeth, it will break down your enamel and cause weak teeth, that is exactly what causes cavities. Acid + Teeth = Cavities (and cavities are simply weakened enamel). I am currently going to a consult this Friday, and this is something that scares the bejeebers out of me. I am a dental hygienist. When I went to the seminar last night there were two vsgers (unfortunately because of my profession, i am just a teeth person), One had missing teeth on the side, the other looked like they had major perio issues. I didn't want to be rude and ask if they had reflux issues. I will be talking with the doc Friday and will try to find out as much info as i can on the results of this after surgery. Get your calcium in, keep your reflux at bay, if it is a problem, go see your doc for something that will lessen the acid (there are ligaments in your mouth that connect your teeth to your gingiva, increased/constant acid will weaken your teeth.) Maybe go to trying to eat only 3 meals per day (snacking all day means that the ph in your mouth is acidic most of the day). That is likely the "why" of it anyways. Best of luck, after meals swish with water, floss daily, and try to lower the ph in your math with less frequent meals and reducing reflux (talk to your doc!). Get those supplements in! 

cmp067
on 8/25/14 3:24 am
VSG on 03/23/12

My teeth weren't great before the surgery - I go for cleanings once every 3 months and see a gum doctor each time. If you have dental insurance your dentist can make them pay for the extra cleanings, if you have periodontal disease which it sounds like you do. My surgeon recommends 500mg of Calcium Citrate 3 times a day. I try but 2 is usually the best I do. 

inspector-girl
on 9/16/14 12:44 pm - Somewhere, AK

I just lost (well pulled) 1 year ago and I'm 11 years post op. I never had issues until this last year and a half. Good luck 

Most Active
Recent Topics