Costs for plastics/skin removal??

lilkeea
on 7/22/14 1:59 am - Sioux Falls, SD

I am 6 years post op and initall lost about 100lbs.  I started gaining back some weight, approx 25lbs so I changed my lifestyle compleley and have now lost it again. (thank god!)  However, I run anywhere between 8-10miles per week and work out faithfully and just can not get rid of the excess skin so am considering removal on my legs and arms.  Has anyone had or know roughly the costs involved for something like this and how long the recovery time would be? I appreciate any info, advice or feedback even if there is an alternate to helping get rid of some of the excess skin that would be awesome too!  I am open to all suggestions! :) Thanks!

Susan S.
on 7/23/14 6:48 pm - Roselle, NJ

Congrats on managing your regain.  I'm there now after being ridiculously fit for a few years (2part time jobs and stress have derailed me).    No amount of exercise will address your skin.  And after six years its not likely that you will experience any further natural shrinkage.   Surgery is your only recourse.  I had the big three.  Lower body lift, brachiaplasty (arms) with breast augmentation and medial thigh.  Did them all within six months.  $$30,000. I'm in the northeast....prices are higher.  

Obesity Help Support Group Leader - The Woman Warrior
286/170/131 (starting/goal/current)
LBL - 10-30-08, brachioplasty/augmentation 2-26-09, medial thigh lift 3-16-09
Plastics - Dr. Joseph Fodero

286/170/140/131 (starting weight/goal/surgeons goal/current)

LBL 10-30-08 - Joseph Fodero
Brachioplasty/Breast Augmentation - 2=24-09

lilkeea
on 7/23/14 10:59 pm - Sioux Falls, SD

Thank you! Yikes so costly! I would love to have it removed, but the costs seems so extreme.  I have heard from some who say you can shrink the skin and some who say you can't after such extreme weight loss so I guess I will just keep working at it and if not then maybe down the road plastics may be a better option when I can afford it..lol  Thanks for the advice! :)

Laura in Texas
on 7/23/14 10:09 pm

Good for you for losing the regain!! Plastic surgery costs can vary greatly depending on where you live. Residency programs are the most inexpensive. I had my arms done in 2009 and it cost me $3900. I have seen them run as high as $15000. For my arms, I took 2 weeks off work. I was doing pretty well by day 10. Good luck!!

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

lilkeea
on 7/23/14 10:56 pm - Sioux Falls, SD

Thank you! It definately hasn't been easy maintaining it that's for certain.  Maybe I will just keep at working out for now as I have heard sometimes it can take a couple of years to achieve results.  The costs just seem so high unfortunately. I appreciate the info. :)

Sandra J.
on 7/30/14 5:15 am
VSG on 06/05/14

Try going to realself.com. You can see a lot of before and after pics. People post the price they paid, where they got it done at and who did it.

Sandra Johnson

Sleeved on 6/5/14

SassyItalian
on 7/31/14 12:13 pm - Basseterre, St. Kitts and Nevis

One skin has been stretched that much it loses elasticity,even if you are young, and it can't be fixed by working out, sprinkling water, or any topical agents. Appearance through toning and muscle can improve but there is a limit.

i didn't have the procedures that you are looking for, I had a tummy tuck, breast lift, and augment and it was around $18K from a surgeon familiar with bariatric skin.

the cost of not having to tuck my stomach skin into my underwear anymore? PRICELESS! 

HW: 258lbs  SW: 240   CW: 140  I am 5 foot 7 and 30 years old               
                 VSG 12/21/10  Plastics: Tummy tuck, breast lift, and augmentation 11/3/11
                                             Soon to be veterinarian!! xoxo

dr_spatula
on 8/7/14 10:11 am
VSG on 07/27/12

I had a tummy tuck/panniculectomy in late April ($5600) and just had brachioplasty (arm skin removal) and mastopexy with augmentation (breast lift and implants) two days ago ($11,000) and am very happy with the results thus far! Considering the thigh surgery, but I'm seriously okay as long as the other stuff is good. The recovery time for the tummy tuck was about 3-5 days and I was back to teaching 7 days after the surgery. I'm able to type and carry on pretty normally following the surgery I had the other day, but reaching is a bit hard (scars run from my elbows to armpits) and my chest is a bit sore as the implants were placed between my muscle and bone. I'm figuring this time next week I'll be back to normal-ish behavior. I run as well and did my second half-marathon 7 weeks after my TT. I plan to get back to running in about 4-6 weeks, or whenever my surgeon gives me clearance. Good luck!! :)

ak2wv2006
on 1/17/15 1:46 pm - Fairmont, WV

In 2008, I went to Panama and had an upper and lower body lift (abdominal and thighs), abdominal plasty, 16" of skin off the front and 8" off the back.   There was also some lipo done.  I also had breast reconstruction and lift. I was down there for three weeks.  The total cost for everything was under $20,000. This included my flight and hotel costs. When I came back to the states, I had another 3 weeks of recovery. I am so thankful that this was done. Dr. Picard-Ami. I have sent several others his info. They have went down and all went just as well as mine. Awesome job. 

Most Active
Recent Topics