Gained almost all my weight back...10 years out

Larry J.
on 8/3/14 7:59 am

Just as a reminder to many please watch your weight gains.  I am almost 10 years out and I have gained back almost all my weight.  I won't bore you with the details but I'll tell you please watch your food intake, take your vitamins religiously and let me be an example to you that it can happen.  I have not gained all the weight back but at least 85% so take the warning.

Jen D.
on 8/3/14 11:53 am - Central, FL

Great advice, Sunshine.  I'm 7 years out, and have put back on 35 of the 70 I lost.  Trying really hard to get this train back on the rails.  Starting back up with vitamins, lots of protein, no more diet sodas, and no more slider foods.  I don't think we have to resign ourselves to going back to where we were.  We have tools we didn't have before.  :)

Tink365
on 8/8/14 9:43 am

I am 10 years out also and have almost gained all my weight back.  I went to a bariatric dr. recently because I was having so much trouble with GERD after eating and drinking.  I went for the Upper GI and they found that my pouch had reattached itself to my old stomach and a fistula had formed.  The pouch is leaking in to the old stomach.  My insurance approved it in a days time and now I am being scheduled for a revision.  Please make sure you have everything checked out just in case you you may have something going on inside! I am very happy and feel blessed to get a second chance. This is considered a mechanical failure and wouldn't be anything that was done to make it happen.

cindymo
on 9/10/14 2:32 am - Ellsinore, MO

Your story sounds just like mine

I did find a physician he did an EGD found the same thing

I had no restrictions from the get go

This new doctor told me my insurance will only pay for one bariatric surgery in a life time

How did your procedure go

Kittylover56
on 8/21/14 5:23 am - Falling Waters, WV

I am 12 years out and have gained back about 75 out of 100 lbs lost.  My original bariatric dr. no longer does the surgery.  I went to him about 2 years or so after my surgery and he said "Sorry it didn't work for you."  He shook my hand and said "Good Luck".  Had an Endoscopy done recently by another bariatric dr and he said my pouch is fine.  I asked if I had stretched it out and he said not much. So, at this point, all I can do is go back to basics. 

manders7
on 8/24/14 1:56 am

I'm 8 years out and regained 38 lbs back. The doctor told me a regain of 20lbs over time isn't a big deal, but I think it just opens the door for more weight gain to creep up. I had a checkup at my PCP the other day for my allergies, and my blood pressure was great, lab work all great except for low iron (which I'm taking new supplements for that too.) but he told me if I could lose 15-20 lbs I would be better off for it. So I'm not going on a diet, I'm going to follow the DASH nutrition guidelines and get more exercise. Right now is a great time, start of new semester and working less hours, will give me a lot of time to focus on me!

Amanda  
Gastric bypass RNY
5/8/2006 - Dr. James Koren
290 initial/165 goal

mt2008
on 8/28/14 5:56 am
RNY on 09/02/14

You are not alone Sunshine!  I have a very similar situation as Tink--my pouch and stomach are overlapping.  I'm scheduled for my revision on 9/2.  I've kept about half of my lost weight off.

The other thing my new surgeon told me (my original is in FL and I'm in PA now) is that back when I had it done (13+ years ago), the pouch was made bigger and the limb was shorter--that was the norm.  Now they make a longer limb and smaller pouch. 

Good luck with everything!!

Most Active
Recent Topics