Weight gain after full hysterectomy???

Jessica285
on 8/5/14 2:41 am - UT

I had one heck of a long ride with complications, so long story short, I have no stomach and 4 feet of my intestines are gone. My surgeon built a stomach, equivalent to a small vertical sleeve made from my small intestin.  NOW, I have have to have a full hysterectomy due to early severe carcinoma insuti (spelling?), which is basically the beginning of Stage 1 cancer in my cervix/uterus.  I am doing my homework to make sure I take any extra supplements for bone density maintenance, hormone research, etc., but the most bothersome thing I have come across is that the average woman gains 25 lbs or more after a hystectomy!!  I have done well and did have about 15 pounds of regain, but I am terrified about the thought of gaining 25+ more pounds!  Anyone out there who has had their hysterectomy after their bariatric surgery who can give me some advice please???  Thank you so much.

Highest: 297 lbs/Lowest 127 lbs/Maintaining at 140-145 lbs

RNY Nov 2009/Perforated Ulcers Jan 2010/Revised to modified VSG Dec 2011      

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/5/14 6:26 am

I am am post menopausal.. and I am on Bio-identical HRT.  You can and will put on weight if you let it. I gained 25 lbs.. but finally had my "wake-up call"and I am in a process of losing that. 

I already lost 15 lbs.. 6 more to go... .. I am already in some of my 6's size pants.. 
But I noticed that almost any carbs can change my Blood sugar and cause gain. I eliminated starches, and sugars... I stll have my own treats, but,at this point in my life - being lighter means less back pain... = better quality of life... I can live with no starches.. hate my back pain and sciatica, and belly pains...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Jessica285
on 8/7/14 5:59 am - UT

Thank you for the input.  I gained 20 pounds after my breast lift/implants last winter and have only taken about 5 off.  I already have a closet full of clothes that I can't wear, yet along the thought of how horrible gaining anymore weight would make me feel.  Good motivation to keep myself in line. I am already nearly no sugars/starches/carbs, so I really, really hope things go well.  I guess I had better plan on working out a lot more. Thanks again!! :)

Highest: 297 lbs/Lowest 127 lbs/Maintaining at 140-145 lbs

RNY Nov 2009/Perforated Ulcers Jan 2010/Revised to modified VSG Dec 2011      

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/8/14 6:31 am

Jessica, Check BOTT group.  Sometimes it is what you eat and how much - to offset the gain.   

Good luck. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Bibo
on 9/7/14 12:39 pm

I have continued to lose after my hysterectomy. Good luck with your next surgeries and health.

Most Active
Recent Topics