5 years post-op starting to get nausea and gagging when hungry

Kelli M.
on 8/11/14 5:02 am

Hi all, I am 5 years post op.  I originally lost over 100 lbs. and have maintained a 70 lb weight loss.  About 3 months ago I started getting very nauseated and gagging when I am hungry (which seems to be every couple of hours).  I think if I were able to vomit (haven't been able to since surgery), I would.  Has anyone else experienced this and do you know why after this long would this start?  By the way I had the Roux-en-y.

Kelli M.
jastypes
on 8/12/14 1:07 am - Croydon, PA

I am 7+ years out.  I don't know why it happens, but it happens to me as well.  I rarely get hungry, but when I do, it manifests itself with nausea and dry heaves rather than tummy rumblings, for example.  I eat 6 times a day, so, again, real hunger happens very rarely for me.  It's weird, but you're not the only one.

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

Kelli M.
on 8/12/14 1:55 am

I feel bad because they say to ONLY eat your 3 meals a day, but I can't because of that.  Good to know I am not the only one.  I was wondering if it was maybe one of the meds I am on.

Kelli M.
jastypes
on 8/12/14 3:28 am - Croydon, PA

Wow, my surgeon and his dietician NEVER recommended 3 meals a day.  Between eating reduced amounts, hunger, and reactive hypoglycemia, I cannot imagine not eating every couple of hours!

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

Ken S.
on 8/22/14 12:30 am - Hanover, PA

I had that issue about two months Post-OP (roux-N-Y).  I would get hungry, but when I put anything in my mouth, I would gag and almost vomit.  It got so bad, I was losing too much weight too fast.  I had to have a shunt put in and go on liquid nutrition.  I praise God for my wife who kept after me to keep trying and eventually I got over it.  I lost a total of 285 lbs in 14 months and actually had to gain about 30 lbs back, but have maintained it and I am still below my marriage weight for the last 10 years (BTW been married 41 years)

mmoritz80
on 9/16/14 8:18 pm - NC

I'm three years out from Roux-en-Y gastric bypass.  The first few months after surgery I vomited a lot.  Then it stopped and I hadn't been able to actually vomit since.  Some days I can almost eat normal portion sizes (not over eating) and some days I can hardly eat at all.  There were times when I dry heaved like crazy but no vomiting.  This last weekend I started to get very nauseated and actually vomited.  Suddenly foods that were "safe" before are making me sick.  It's like someone hit a reset button on my surgery.  :/

I had a Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass Procedure in the Raleigh area on June 9th, 2011 by Dr. Moran.  www.alasurgery.com            

Most Active
Recent Topics