Better to taste and move on OR stay away and maybe feel deprived???

staceyp1105
on 8/27/14 2:53 am - Arvada, CO
VSG on 12/18/13

Anyone have any words of wisdom or experience here?

I am about 9 months post op and down about 108 pounds.  Doing great...3 lbs away from being in the 100's and havent experienced a stall yet.

Right around 6 months post op I started having fears about the return of bad habits.  I was losing a little of the discipline I had exhibited for the last 6 months diligently.  My intake was not bad but meals were less organized, snacking (even healthy snacking) was a little more frequent, I stopped logging food, etc.  I have been cursed/blessed with being able to tolerate all foods and I have incorporated some carbs in the way of bread/crackers/dessert, etc. on rare occassions back into my diet, but I am scared of them.  I wanted to NOT tolerate them so there was no temptation.  When I have indulged, it has been very small bites, tastes...nothing compared to eating habits a year ago.  I get concerned though about opening Pandora's box with a taste or is it better to experience than setting myself up to feel deprived.

Fine line that I have not quite mastered yet....

I am very good a rationalizing things and I guess I am just afraid that once I let some of those foods back in, the dam will break, so to speak....

Ladytazz
on 8/27/14 12:45 pm, edited 8/27/14 12:45 pm

Some things I can have a taste of and be alright, like a baked potato with my dinner.  After I finish my meat usually a few bites of the potato satisfied me.

But, there are things I can not eat moderately and having a taste or bite of them is cruel and unusual punishment.  A bite of a cookie or sourdough bread is just not going to do it for me.  Oh, I may get away with it and feel like I did good but my mind is already plotted my next bite and next.  One is never enough of some things.

I guess the only way to know is to be honest with yourself.  If you truly know that having a bite of something won't set you off into craving more then go for it.

My problem with that theory is that once I let the genie out of the bottle I have a hard time getting him back in.  I may find myself having those things in increasing amounts and frequency until I realize that I am just out of control again, and getting control back has never been easy.  So it is easier for me to just pass on that taste.

I do try to find substitutes for those things that I want but can't handle.  Like protein ice cream instead of regular ice cream.  If I feel like pizza I go for the cauliflower crust kind.  That way I can get whatever toppings I like and the crust doesn't get me wanting more.

Since I am hoping this whole maintenance thing will be lifelong I realize I have a long time to experiment and figure out what works for me as long as I keep an open mind and keep myself honest and accountable.

What works for some may not work for others.  It is all very individual.

For instance, I avoid sugar and gluten but there are many who are able to have those things in moderation with no issues.  I just know from past history that it wouldn't work out well for me and since every attempt in the past ended badly I just don't go there.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

jastypes
on 8/28/14 2:29 am - Croydon, PA

Ahhhh, at nine months things definitely start to get real.  You've lost a significant amount of weight, you feel good and look good.  The "rules" for real life eating aren't as specific as our direct post-op eating was.  You are right that it is a fine line.  So, my best advice (7 years out) is that you have to know yourself, and if you don't already, then you'll have to figure it out along the way -- like I did, an many other people do.  Today, I know that I cannot safely drink alcohol, or eat sugar-containing foods, certain sugar-free desserts or corn chips.  Everything else (including pizza and white flour products), I seem to be okay with -- I won't binge, graze or crave more.  The problem with trial and error, of course, is that if, for example, you have a sugar addiction, and you try a piece of birthday cake, within months, you may find yourself eating cake and cookies on a regular basis, including when you really don't want to.  Of course, hindsight is 20/20, and if I had to do it over again, I would have NEVER picked up a dessert containing real sugar, or alcohol.  So, again, know yourself - or learn about yourself - AND stay near support -- like here.  :-) 

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

Gwen M.
on 8/31/14 2:17 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I think it really depends on you.  So far, I have had zero problem allowing myself the occasional less than optimal choice.  I have sushi every other month or so, for example.  I had some of a piece of cheesecake when I was at GenCon a few weeks ago.  But those things do NOT release the kraken or anything.  For some people, they do.  

I do, however, journal everything, and that does help me to be mindful of the choices I'm making and it probably helps to keep me in check.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

niecey61
on 9/1/14 3:16 am

Really great responses on here. I concur!!  Definitely an individual type of situation. 

bikrchk
on 9/15/14 5:01 am
On August 31, 2014 at 9:17 AM Pacific Time, GwenMo wrote:

I think it really depends on you.  So far, I have had zero problem allowing myself the occasional less than optimal choice.  I have sushi every other month or so, for example.  I had some of a piece of cheesecake when I was at GenCon a few weeks ago.  But those things do NOT release the kraken or anything.  For some people, they do.  

I do, however, journal everything, and that does help me to be mindful of the choices I'm making and it probably helps to keep me in check.  

This is how I live as well.  I eat what I like in small quantities, journal all of it and work my faves into my day. Food journaling and exercise helps me manage the beast. Knowing I'm hitting my nutritional goals and not blowing over my calories for the day eliminates guilt and therefore cravings. I lost the weigh post-op living this way, I see no reason why I can't continue to maintain my success in the same way.

Sweat is fat crying

Most Active
Recent Topics