Eating every 3 hours?

mxm622
on 9/1/14 12:00 am

So I have Reactive Hypoglycemia, I'm 5 years RNY post op. I'm told to eat every 3 hours which stinks because I usually feel like I'm force feeding myself. But, I do it because it's needed. With that being said, if anyone else is going through this, do you make sure you have a specific amount of protein every 3 hours, or do you just grab a handful of something like nuts or have a string cheese? I'm just wondering how each person goes about it. Thanks!

Tri_harder
on 9/2/14 9:56 am
jastypes
on 9/2/14 10:39 pm - Croydon, PA

I also developed Reactive Hypoglycemia at about 5 years out.  (I am now 7 years)  I absolutely eat 6 times a day, even if that "meal" is a piece of fruit, a nsa greek yogurt, or string cheese.  I've learned that certain foods trigger hypoglycemia in me (pancakes, in particular), and I can truly avoid it if I do not eat "too many" carbs at one meal.  To me, that means no more than 1/2 cup of pasta/rice, 1 slice of bread, 1/2 bagel, etc.  The fact that it is "reactive," means that it is in reaction to something -- and I've found that to mean it is in reaction to my eating too much at any given time.  It takes a while to figure out what exactly is causing it for you, and what you can do to avoid it.  And you definitely want to avoid it!!!  Not only does it feel horrible, but many of our friends have passed out and gotten seriously injured. 

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/5/14 10:31 am

I have severe RH and I do eat often.. but I finally figured it out what works for me and my RH...That may not work for you - but you may try it. 

My diet is very restricted due to food allergies and IBS_C .  That plus RH really limits my options.  However it is now working great and I am learning to adapt. I still have my "moments" when I say "heck with it", and eat food that I know I should avoid... but any "bad choices" and I may be sick -or in pain for 2-3 days after... so my food indiscretions better be worth it.. 

I follow low carb paleo style diet - with no dairy (allergies) , soy (allergies) and no grains (that is my IBS plus RH) Eliminating grains really helped me a lot.  I may have some quinoa - maybe once every 3-4 months.. 

Due to my RH I had to eliminate starchy carbs and veggies..(potatoes, cooked carrots,  beets, etc). DUe to RH and IBS- the only fruits I eat are berries..  yea-I told you it is a very restrictive diet... 

but it works for me.. for my RH and my gut issues... 

I eat eggs, meat and fish, non starchy veggies (so many of them); nuts and seeds (some of them ) are great addition..  I almost always have them around. They are my "go to food" to balance my RH.. 

I even eat LNS - just before bed - typically a handful of nuts - 5-6 brazil nuts with 5-7 macadamia nuts.. (or more). Nuts digest slowly and keep my BS very stable all night long... and even longer.. And they do not give me sour stomach by the morning. .

If I eat carbs (fruits or more veggies)   - I try to eat them in mid day - that way I can control my BS... 

My diet follows: for every 10 gr of proteins I need to eat at least 5 -10 gr of good fats (bacon !!!, mayo-soy free; avocado, coconut oil, seeds and nuts.) etc, and no more than 5 gr of carbs.. 

ratio: 10: more than 5-10 : less than 5 (protein + fat + carbs ) 

The fat helps my body maintain steady BS. 

If i eat fruits (berries) _ I always eat them at least 3 -5 hrs before bed..and always with fats and proteins (nuts, coconut cream,  etc)

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active
Recent Topics