Any info on post RNY and HEART TRANSPLANT????

giggle95376
on 9/22/14 2:39 pm - Las Vegas, NV

I am 10 years post op RNY and now have heart issues. I need a heart transplant and was wondering if anyone has heard of anyone who has had gastric bypass needing a heart transplant and where I might find any information on the topic. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Bibo
on 10/23/14 12:25 pm

My friend had an aortic valve replacement ten years after his open RNY....he did fine. He had his bypass surgeon write a letter indicating his nutritional needs to the hospital nutritionist prior to surgery on his heart, so that everyone was on the same page. He was able to tolerate blood thinners for a while, carefully supervised. He had gained weight prior to his heart surgery, and was discharged at close to goal cause he was in the hospital for a month or so doing rehab. That was a few years ago, in about 2012, so I am sure the surgeries have gotten even better. his main issue was coordinating care. Bringing appropriate vitamins and shakes to hospital as hospital did not stock what he took. He was up and around just fine after that....lifting restrictions, etc.....unfortunately he regained again, and later had a massive stroke  (two years later).  He never could put the food down. But he went through the heart surgery no sweat

Bibo
on 10/23/14 12:26 pm

The University of Florida has a TON of research on this, I don't remember what, exactly, but we were looking for my friend a few years ago

Most Active
Recent Topics