Has anyone had their gatric bypass come undone? HELP!!!

Peggy Woodson
on 9/30/14 3:37 am

My gastric bypass worked very well for me until 2011.  I had it done in 1995.  Following this accident, I noticed I started gaining weight.  So I got on a diet and tracked it online on one of the online weight loss programs.  Logged every bite I ate for a year.  I know.  But I was obsessed with trying to lose weight.  Nothing worked and I continued to gain weight while on the diet.  Switched diets and nothing helped at all.  I'm sitting here 70 lbs heavier than I was when I had this accident in 2011.  Needless to sey, I'm certainly not a happy camper.  I eventually underwent an upper GI which showed there was a breach between the stomach pouch and my stomach.  Had an endoscopy and there it was.  Gastro Gastric fistula.  The surgeon who did the endo said it could not be repaired as it would be way too dangerous.  I sought a second opinion and this time went to a bariatric surgeon.  He said the same thing.  Too dangerous to try to repair so I'm stuck.  And I can't lose the weight.  In my research, I found one place that said that they didn't advise repair of gastric bypass since they were not that successful.  I am wondering if there are others out there who have met with this issue and what are you doing about it.  I'm now diabetic again.  HELP

Ladytazz
on 10/2/14 11:12 am

I'm not understanding.  I have heard of many who have had a fistula, which is what it sounds like you have.  You can find a surgeon to repair it, unless there are complications that I don't know about.  Do you have a lot of scar tissue?  I know that I have so much that they are hesitant to do any kind of surgery on me unless absolutely necessary.

Also, while a fistula would make it possible to eat more I don't know how it could cause weight gain if you aren't overeating.  Maybe I am missing something.  If that were the case then fixing the fistula wouldn't help you lose weight if you aren't eating too much now.

I would find a top bariatric surgeon to discuss all your options.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

cindymo
on 11/23/14 5:34 am - Ellsinore, MO

I finally got to see a surgeon re. poor weight loss and cannot tell when full never from day one

Had EGD done doctor said he passed the camera right into my old stomach he said my pouch was the size which stated in my op note

He didn't think my insurance would ever approve of a revision he said my old stomach re attached itself to my pouch and when my pouch gets full then it overflows into my old stomach that is why I never felt full couldn't tell anything had ever been done other than the huge incision scar

My most weight loss was in the first 3 months by that time I was starving it was unreal

Ladytazz
on 11/23/14 12:44 pm

That is BS that your insurance wouldn't pay for a revision.  Unless your policy has a strict no WLS or only one WLS per lifetime clause there is no reason they shouldn't pay to fix a problem.

It's not like you did anything wrong.  You just had the bad luck to have a complication and I think your surgeon should at least try to submit to the insurance company, unless he knows they have an exclusion and it won't do any good.

Are you having any physical issues due to the fistula?  Maybe that can be used to get it fixed.

I am sure that even if your insurance company said they wouldn't pay it could be challenged.  There is an attorney that advertises here named Walter Lindstrom who I have heard works miracles in getting insurance companies to cover the surgery. Obesity Law is the name in case you want to check them out.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

thekatinthehat
on 10/23/14 2:04 pm

I recently had a fistula repair along with a marginal ulcer repair.  The complication risk is higher but there was never a question in my surgeon's mind to fix it. 

Most Active
Recent Topics