7.5 years out, 25 pound regain but still satisfied

JinPA
on 10/5/14 8:19 am - PA

I am 7.5 years out. Highest weight 290, lowest 165, current 190. I had a weird year 5 and regained 25 pounds. During that year I also developed a transfer addiction to alcohol and went to rehab. I was amazed at how many other women in rehab with me had RNY and had developed a transfer addiction to booze. Anyway, I am trying to lose the 25, but I have to say that I am still pretty happy with my result. I have made some eating changes and have not gained any more weight for 1.5 years. I just stay stuck at 190. I wonder how much of this is middle age. I don't think that the RNY has failed me, I just think that I am now an average middle aged woman dealing with weight issues. Can anyone relate?

TinaMillerJohnson
on 10/7/14 3:19 am

I can relate.  I am ten year out.  Highest was 339.  At time of surgery was 265.  Currently 193ish.  I keep remembering that the stats say that bypass patients keep an average of 60% of their excess weight off in the long term.  At 190 pounds, you are not trashing your joints.  You are not at huge risk for blood pressure, cholesterol and diabetes issues.  You and I may not be model-perfect but we are at a decent weight that does not put us in danger.  I see that as a success.

JinPA
on 10/11/14 10:31 pm - PA

Those are my feelings exactly. I don't think I will ever be picture-perfect, and I need to let go of that.

stephaniemichelle124
on 10/14/14 10:02 am - mountain view, CA

I too am 184 pounds and myself got a transfer addiction. I had my surgery 2009 . My name is steph. I'm 29 and my facebook is www.facebook.com/stephaniemichellemondragon

Shar eD
on 10/20/14 8:28 am

I too have experienced a transfer addiction, am trying to do better and have been feeling shameful at times.  This is my first time back on this site, and I think I need it.

Most Active
Recent Topics