Weight Regained 10 years later! UGH!

JWF
on 10/18/14 8:11 am

Hi,  I had a RNY procedure on October 25, 2004.  I weighed 345 lbs.  I got down to 255 pounds.  Slowly over the years and making bad food choices, I am back at 300 pounds. My feet are swelling again, I'm getting headaches again, just feeling awful.  I live in Maryland and my surgeon relocated to a new area that I can't get to.  I don't drive.  I still can't eat pasta and rice, but I can eat everything else.  My eating is HORRIBLE!  I also have these horrible pains in my stomach, pockets of air.  The severe pain lasts for a few seconds to a minute and then it goes away.  I don't know what to do anymore...

Any advice?  Any help?

Thanks.

Julie

Laura in Texas
on 10/18/14 8:58 am

Find a new surgeon and get checked out to make sure your pouch is still in working order. Make an appointment with a nutritionist. Stop making bad choices. Limit your calories to 1200 to start and see what that does. Protein first, then some veggies. Cut out the crappy carbs like crackers, potatoes, and bread. Get out the measuring cups and food scale and measure every bite. Track your food on myfitnesspal. 

You can lose it again, but it will be hard work. Forgive yourself and believe you are worth the effort.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Gwen M.
on 10/18/14 9:05 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Great advice!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

zigzag
on 10/23/14 3:21 pm - Australia
RNY on 11/03/14

Laura is right Back to Basics lovely. You have the tool You can do this and 1200 is a good base Monitor Monitor Monitor BACK YOURSELF.

jastypes
on 10/19/14 10:22 pm - Croydon, PA

My first step to re-losing the weight I re-gained was going to a support group where people understood what I was going through.  I use my WLS support group and my dietician in conjunction with the 12-step program of Overeaters Anonymous to maintain a healthy weight and a healthy way of eating.  Miracles happen in these programs.

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

Dimplezzz2002
on 10/24/14 2:45 am

Hi Julie. I am so sorry to hear about your troubles. I am a newbie. I just had surgery on October 10, 2014. My suggestion is to go back to the beginning. Follow your pre-op eating plan...the liquid diet or one of your post-op plans. What you need to do is break the cycle so you can get back on track. Be sure to keep your food diary and start walking until you can get up to 30 minutes a day. Stay encouraged, Julie, and continue to fight and reach out for support. We are all pulling for your success. Lydia

onemeanmom
on 10/25/14 12:05 pm - Modesto, CA

Hi, I might suggest a visit to the doc as well. I'm wondering if your pain is gallstones rather than air pockets. Just a thought. Gallstones are pretty universal with wls. Does it ever move around to your back? I had to have mine removed two years after RNY. Most painful thing I've ever felt! Took my breath away. Anyway, something to think about. Hope it works out well for you.

Musicmama88
on 12/6/14 5:45 am - Danville, IN

Have that pain checked out ASAP. I have the same pain and am having a CT scan done for a possible Intussusception after Laparoscopic Gastric Bypass Surgery. Google it,,,my friend had the same surgery and ten years later had to have another for the above condition, and her doctor told her its becoming common for people ten years out from RNY. Its where your intestine telescopes into itself,,can cause a blockage and can be fatal. Easy correct tho if caught in time. they will redo the surgery.

"For I know the plans I have for you ," declares the Lord. Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

stacey1273
on 12/21/14 8:29 am - Belleville, MI

I had my RNY done on 4/15/02 and weighed 383, got down to 246,I am 6ft tall female, and am officially as of this morning by my scale, back up to 314.5.  I am terribly depressed.  I have PMDD which adds to it and had PMDD for years, but the WLS actually made it worse.  Right now i am in a situation where i have no insurance and am living on really cheap food due to i can't eat anymore than a budget of $25.00 a week (seriously, it's sometimes less than that)  I find myself sick alot, but don't know what to do, i can't afford a high protien diet right now, it's impossible, but i know i can't keep eating like this.  I've noticed myself getting hard of breath after walking less than half of what i used to, i used to also be more active, but had to move into a lower income neighborhood, meaning not safe to walk(i'm alone, no one around here to walk with).   Can anyone come up with high protien suggestions on that budget?   SEriously i just can't afford more.  I can't afford more, but make too much for any type of assistance, so i usually end up with junk....i hate it.

Most Active
Recent Topics