Acid Reflux?

SummerAir
on 11/14/14 1:30 am

Hi I don't know if I'm posting on the right board and I apologize for the long post but Here it is, I am 29 years old I had gastric bypass surgery in January of 2006 lost 140 pounds and gained back around 40. The only issues I've had were low iron, kidney stones, and gallstones. So I've always been sorta gassy since the surgery never belching though.

Within the past few months I started developing consistent heartburn, and I tried to stay away from tomatoes and spicy foods etc. But within this month I developed a sore throat which I thought was acid reflux but the on call dr determined it to be strep and gave me antibiotics. I took those and continued to feel worse I could not even drink water without feeling strangled and then constant burping for he next several minutes by the 5th day my throat felt 1000xs worse and I felt like I was been strangled.

So I went to the ER they did a xray and said my throat was swelling so they gave me a steroid and then a cat scan. They said the catscan was unremarkable, go see an ENT. ENT did scope said throat looks fine. I saw A gastro dr who said told me to start taking Prilosec and wait 3 MONTHS to see if it improves.

I have been on Prilosec for 7 days and bought a wedge pillow to raise my head when I sleep. However I still can only tolerate a banana, rice cereal, rice milk, and thank God plain baked chicken. I tried to eat a carrot today and again had the intense strangulation feeling and starting burping nonstop for ten minutes and then I'm just left with a lump feeling in my throat. Can anyone give any insight into what this might be? I am an emotional wreck at this point. Thank you so much in advance.

Eggface
on 11/17/14 1:39 am, edited 11/17/14 1:39 am - Sunny Southern, CA

I'm sorry that sounds awful and frustrating. Have you been checked for an ulcer or obstruction? I would ask about ruling out those 2. Are you still in contact with your bariatric surgeon? If so I'd go to him/her if not I'd go back to that Gastro Dr. Write down all the symptoms you are experiencing, severity, any pattern you can see (after eating, first meal of day, worse at night... anything like that) Do not leave the office without feeling satisfied you have a plan of action in place. Ask them how long you will try that plan of action before trying something else and what would that next step would be. 

Hoping it will all be resolved soon and you will be out enjoying life! Best to you! Keep us updated!!

~Michelle "Shelly"

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

SummerAir
on 11/19/14 3:15 am

Thank you so much for your reply. I have an appt with a new gastro Dr this Friday since I really was not comfortable with the first one. I will ask about those two things and I have a whole list written down of all my symptoms.

H.A.L.A B.
on 11/19/14 4:19 am

Google SIBO... it is bacteria overgrowth in small intestine.. 

Plus - you may need to get tested for food allergies.. I got tested and after i eliminated foods that I was allergic to - I feel much better.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

sor09
on 12/8/14 2:26 pm

VS? reflux yup. Lactose problem... I had GERD pre-op and with post RNY... nothing. I wanted VS but wanted to not have GERD, so I voted for RNY. Be careful, and take care.

Most Active
Recent Topics