Unhappy with personal appearance.

mollysadventure
on 1/13/15 4:09 am - WA
RNY on 06/26/12

I had RNY June 2012

I weighed in at 292 and now weigh 162. I haven't been able to really get below this, and at only 5'4" it really feels still sooo overweight to ME. And, I also have horrible extra skin. I have about 8 inches hanging from each of my arms. And then my tummy and back, plus butt and thighs. ITS SOO GROSS. I hate the way I look. I know I should be feeling good, and happy about my weight loss, but at this point I am just not. Anyone experiencing this also. I know this is personal, but I don't even like having sex with my hubby anymore, because I am too grossed out about flapping skin everywhere. I am on the verge of tears everytime I see myself in the mirror. Still can't wear cute clothes cause of it, and def don't feel better about myself. Maybe I am just having a pity party over here, but I am just reaching out to see if anyone has experienced this as well :( 

Stacy_WLS
on 1/13/15 11:03 pm

Is plastic surgery an option for you?  

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

Dejah H.
on 1/20/15 4:21 am - Central, TX

I completely understand how you feel. I had a really hard time with all of the extra skin. I finally was able to get an extended tummy tuck in Aug, and I just had my arms done in Dec. That has completely changed to way I look at myself. Is plastic surgery an option for you?

289 / 273 / 163.4 / 164   10cc AP Standard  my band! 

Jennifer K.
on 1/21/15 5:09 am - Phoenix , AZ

Accepting the post-WLS body is not easy... you had to deal with being overweight, did something about it.. worked hard lost weight and now you have all this skin to live with. I felt it was unfair.. I wanted to be "normal" and not worry about flapping arms and sagging belly. Its not easy to come to terms with but my feeling was Id rather deal with the excess skin then dealing with being overweight and all that came with it. We are much harder on ourselves than others... I know you don't like the flapping skin but I am sure your husband doesn't feel the same way you do.. I would definitely recommend finding somebody to speak with to help you accept your post-WLS and learn to be proud of all you have accomplished losing weight.  

I have worked a 2nd job since right after surgery and saved up to have PS.. wish I had started sooner. 3 years ago I had an extended TT, this past July I had a BA/BL and arm lift.... next year (hopefully) will be surgery on my legs.... I will say it has 110% made such a difference in how I feel about myself and my self esteem... the TT gave me a little, but the BA/BL and arm lift have shot me thru the roof... work working 50-60 hours a week for so long.

First visit to surgeon - 288 ~ bmi 45.1
2 week pre-op 252 ~ bmi 39.5
Total lost - 153 Since surgery - 117!
Goal weight - 155 (mine) 180 (surgeons)
Current weight - 135 (2020 I lost 10lbs due to dedicating myself to working out more and being in better shape)

Extended TT, lipo, fat injections - 11/2011

BA/BL/Arm Lift - 7/2014

Scar revision on arms - 3/2015

HALO laser on arms/neck 9/2016

Thigh lift 10/2020

jastypes
on 1/23/15 3:50 am - Croydon, PA

Lots of people opt for plastic surgery.  I did not.  I have to say that it took me about 6 years to be completely at ease with my new body.  I wear lingerie for lovemaking sometimes, but not always.  I'm getting married this year and wearing a strapless gown because I no longer give a crap about how large my wingspan is.  Self-acceptance is something that takes a long time.

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

MichiganChic
on 1/23/15 9:33 pm - MI

I had a gastric sleeve in December 2012, and I'm also 5"4', and my weight is 165. I had the same issue, so I opted for plastic surgery. Very expensive, and worth every penny to me. I had a lower body lift, arm lift, thigh lift, and breast lift/augmentation in two separate procedures in the past 5 months. Still not perfect, but pretty darn good and probably far better than most of the average population of 52 year old women. I know that the number says overweight, and I'd like to lose 10 pounds, but honestly, I don't look overweight at all. 

qnmimi
on 1/24/15 2:35 pm - Cottage Grove, MN

I think it's really unfortunate that insurance doesn't cover plastic surgey for WLS.  After 4 years, my sagging skin is more troublesome to me now, than it was after my initial weight loss.  My skin is healthy, so I don't qualify for plastics that way...I just think that body image now that I am thinner has taken on new importance, and this feeling just is not discussed enough pre-op.  Unfortunately for me, self pay is not an option right now, and the thought of major surgery freaks me out a bit too. 

Most Active
Recent Topics