Can your pouch stretch and is surgery the only solution?

andreabrancato
on 1/26/15 1:55 am
with

Hi, I am new to this site and am wondering if I could  have stretched my pouch out.I had RNY 11 yrs.ago.I lost 100 lbs.and have regained 50.I started drinking with my meals and drinking diet soda.I really want to lose this weight but have forgotten how or do not know how to eat for my surgery anymore.Can my pouch shrink without revision surgery?also,has anyone had issues with alcohol?i have not drank in 3 yrs.but it really was ugly.I am working on the addictive part of my weight and food but need help with the food plan.thanks!

Gwen M.
on 1/26/15 8:21 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Your best bet would be to find a local surgeon (if your surgeon isn't still around) and get checked out.  Make an appointment with a nutritionist or dietician and get an eating plan.  You can get back on track and lose the regain.  Are you seeing a therapist to help with the alcohol?  Transfer addictions are very common post-op.  Sadly :(

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

emelar
on 1/27/15 7:43 am - TX

Several surgeons have stated that when they go looking to see if there's a mechanical problem with the surgery, they find none.  People have just stopped following the post-op plan.  It's unlikely you've stretched your pouch.  It's possible your stoma has enlarged.  But it's more likely that you're just not eating right!

Stop drinking with your meals.  If diet soda gives you the munchies, stop drinking it.  Dense protein (chicken breast) first, veggies second, some good fat.  Keep refined carbs to a minimum.  Track your calories (myfitnesspal) so you're accountable for what you're putting in your mouth.

Transfer addiction is real and you need to get a handle on the drinking, either by yourself or with the help of a therapist or the help of an organization like OA or AA.

dolly O.
on 1/31/15 3:15 pm - league city, TX

You are not alone, I believe that your pouch can stretch as well as the anastomosis (opening from pouch to intestine) which cause food to empty quicker. I had surgery in 2009 and have regained ~30 lbs. I am starting back Monday to follow the rules and eat right. I have reverted back to old habits, eating junk, drinking fluids with meals, eating slider foods. I can eat more but still a lot less than what I use to. For example I went out to eat yesterday and got the seafood platter, I was only able to eat a couple of shrimp, crab and bread. Before I would have not got past the bread. I no longer dump so sweets are a huge issue for me. I need to eat right, RNY was a quick fix for me and I feel bad that I failed it. I went from 277 to 170 post RNY, didn't lose a whole lot to begin with. The rest is up to me, my pouch is my tool, it still works I just need to help it....maybe the same applies to you, as for alcohol, I went through that phase too, thank God someone talked some sense into me. Good luck! 

Don't put a question mark where God has put a period! 
Dolly Oliver

Chicago.Candy
on 2/10/15 10:46 pm

This sounds exactly what brought me back to the site today. I gained about 30 back also and it's driving me crazy so noticeable. Going to turn my work out up also. They used to have a forum for weight gain. I couldn't seem to find it. Thanks for your post. 

Trying to figure out how to reverse this weight gain.

HW309/SW294/LW199/NEW CURRENT:230 NEW GOAL:195

Life is what you make it - So make it AMAZING!
CC

Most Active
Recent Topics