Starting over again... hard work!

Alyson M.
on 2/3/15 1:36 am - Dennis Port, MA

Hey everyone. Definitely needing some support and tough love. I'm 10+ years out, had 1 baby pre-op and 2 post-op, and I've gained back a lot of weight. I know it's my own fault, I don't hold myself accountable. I blame the dryer for shrinking my pants, I snack constantly on crap, I "forget" to bring food to work with me and just get the convenient sugar-filled junk that is there. Hubby has recently gained a little weight, but his BMI is a 24, he's never been OVERWEIGHT, so he doesn't understand that this is an emotional struggle for me. I know I need to start back at the basics again, but it's been so long that I'm kind of lost. Any help, reassurance, or any advice is definitely appreciated.

310/229/132/160 (highest/current/lowest/goal)

Gwen M.
on 2/3/15 10:57 am
VSG on 03/13/14

You can do this.  If you're not tracking what you eat, start doing that now with something like MyFitnessPal.  Track every single thing you put into your mouth and figure out what you need to change. If you're not seeing a therapist, start that as well.  Learn how to be accountable.  

From there, work on getting back to your basics.  Here are mine, but your might be slightly different.  

1. Prioritize protein and water
2. Deprioritize carbs, especially the refined and processed ones
3. Make the most of healthy fats
4. Eat three meals a day with no snacks
5. Avoid liquid calories (breakfast protein shake is the exception)
6. Weigh portions
7. Eat mindfully and with no distractions aside from real live people
8. Move as much as possible
9. Weigh myself daily
10. Be kind to myself

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Cathy W.
on 2/3/15 11:40 am

I had surgery in 2001 and it is harder now than it was even five years ago.  I've had weight regain and lost it but it is more difficult than it was when I originally lost my weight.  It comes off much slower for an average of 1-2 pounds a week.  You can lose your weight regain.  

Gwen's list is excellent.  Use that as your foundation and tweak if you need to.  

When I lost my regain, I went back to the basics of eating lean proteins first, vegetables next, fruit and complex carbs occasionally.  I also incorporated exercise and activity.  My main focus was to stop grazing and eating the sugary foods along with no junk food.

I also logged my food and exercise.  My food was important to keep track of.  There is something about being accountable to myself and logging my food.  If I didn't want to see it in my list of foods for that day, I didn't eat it.  I resisted keeping track of my food because it reminded me of my multiple Weigh****chers attempts.  I read a study that people lost more weight when they logged their food than those that didn't.  After reading that, I started keeping track of my food and still do today.

Keep posting and be active on the message boards.  Supporting others and posting helped me as well.

You did it once and you can (and will) do it again.

Cathy

Want to get back on track or stay on track? Get Back On Track Together!

Alyson M.
on 2/3/15 12:11 pm - Dennis Port, MA

Thanks ladies, I definitely need a swift kick in the butt! I'm using a great app called LoseIt!  It scans the barcode on the food and enters it so I have to be accountable for every single calorie that goes into my mouth. I also have an appointment with my PCP next week to get a referral to a nutritionist who is familiar with RNY gastric bypass,  since the one at my PCP office seems nice, but clueless. Hopefully that will help! I'm recovering from shoulder surgery, so I'm already going to PT and part of it involves weight lifting, so I need to do some cardio on my own to balance it out. I'm also going back to basics to shrink Ms Pouchy since I know that she's a bit bigger than she needs to be. Ordered myself a lovely jar of Syntrax Nectar since it's the only protein supplement I can stand. I'm on the way! 

lynnc99
on 2/4/15 9:47 am

I'll chime in....yes, you can lose the regained weight. It will be slow, but you can do it. You've gotten great advice, especially about logging your food. 

For me, I had to go back to a dietitian - not because I didn't "know" what to eat (or avoid) but for the accountability of a weekly meeting. It has made a great deal of difference for me. I am down 17 lbs. since mid November. 

So...clear the crap out of the cabinets. Load it into hubby's car if need be. Cut up the veggies as soon as you bring them into the house. Get a little exercise. Put yourself on a schedule for meals and snacks. 

We CAN do this! 

HIgurl
on 2/4/15 1:47 pm

I am in the same boat as you..i am 8 yrs out and have gained a lot of weight also. I have started watching what I eat again. Good luck!

Alyson M.
on 2/7/15 9:50 am - Dennis Port, MA

I have to say, I'm damned proud of myself so far. Since Wednesday I've been tracking my intake, walking more, prioritizing protein, cut out the crappy food. It feels good, and I've lost 4.4 lbs so far. It's a great boost to keep going! After Valentine's Day (no candy, but hubby is cooking a special dinner) I'm going to do the liquid diet that is recommended for preop patients to cleanse me, and then go back to the total postop basics to shrink my pouch and get my stomach used to no crapola. I can do this!!! I'm even walking laps around the store I work in when there are no customers since it's way too snowy and cold to walk outside during the day with the baby. 

Laura in Texas
on 2/7/15 11:06 pm

Good for you. If you are not already limiting your use of artificial sweetener, try that, too. Using Splenda gave me horrible cravings and it was hard for me to maintain when I was using it.

I was up a few pounds after the holidays and I am happy to report I am down to losing my last 2.

You can do this!!

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

grizzer
on 2/9/15 8:27 pm

You've inspired me. I'm in the same boat, RNY in 2008 and have gained 35 lbs slowly. I want to get back to feeling slim and comfortable in my skin; lately it's been hard finding clothes in my closet to wear and I'm back to wearing the same few pieces.I also live in Massachusetts, so the snow shoveling this week will do me good! 

lynnc99
on 2/11/15 2:44 am

....And yes, we get VERY impatient with ourselves during that "relosing" phase!

I have not lost weight in about 4 weeks, despite strictly adhering to my program. So frustrating! Next step is to tighten down on the carbs - even a little (fruit, 1 starch serving per day) seems to have stalled my weight loss. I'll be SO happy when I reach 20 lbs. lost! 

Making it happen!

Most Active
Recent Topics