The shame of regain

SleevedLife
on 2/21/15 12:23 am

I'm so glad to be back here.  Reading posts here really helps me get back into the right mindset!

I feel so much shame for my regain., I had the sleeve in 2011.  I lost about 140 lbs (high weight 360, low of about 220 or 215).

Then life started to happen.   Ok, saying that sounds like a deflection of responsibility.  Let me be clear - I am responsible for every pound gained. This is entirely my fault.

Cliffnotes are that I was in a cast to my knee for 2 months.  Then I got pregnant (yeaaa! Our 3rd baby was and is a welcome blessing!) Then I got an aggressive but treatable form cancer which I'm still in the midst of being treated for (boo!!).  Life.  It happens. 

So now I weigh about 260. :( I've gained about 40 lbs.  aren't cancer pateints supposed to lose weight?? Lol.  Sorry. If I don't laugh, I'll cry.

I feel stressed.  I feel tired.  I'm eating too much popcorn and chocolate.  I'm gaining weight. 

**sigh**. I'm mad at myself.

So life happens.  I lost focus.  But I'm so grateful.  I have a healthy baby.  I'm confident I'll be declared cancer free by next year.  I'm still 100 lbs below my high weight. Thank you, God!!

I feel exhausted and yucky most days.  Some is medical, some is psychological, some is the above confessed chocolate and popcorn.

I can turn this around.  right??  I have to!  The scale cannot go up anymore.  I'm here to get back into the right "losing" mindset and to not feel so alone.

Thanks for listening...  Sorry for the typos.  I'm posting this from a phone while poorly multitasking!!

SkinnyScientist
on 2/21/15 1:29 am

Then I got an aggressive but treatable form cancer which I'm still in the midst of being treated for (boo!!). aren't cancer pateints supposed to lose weight?? 

-Hi! I don't know what kind of cancer you got, but with some types you will lose weight in the treatment (i.e. the chemo makes one sick).

Are the docs pushing lots of patenteral nutrition on you (i.e. Ensure).

I cant offer much medical advice, but perhaps this time, you take one thing at a time and worry about weight loss AFTER you save your life from cancer. You just might end up needing every precious pound depending on what kind it is.

I am not saying go out and eat eat eat. I am saying "Doc to your doc."  Ask if weight maintainance/loss is a problem with your form of cancer and whether you should try to lose weight at this time.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 2/21/15 4:04 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

You've got a lot on your plate right now, don't be ashamed of the regain, life happens, at least you're trying to get back to business. Please check with your dr b4 starting with the weight loss regime again. You might have to concentrate on maintaining for now till you're cancer free.

If your dr clears you for weight loss, ck with your nutritionist on how to go about it, some foods we eat or avoid now may not be good for you while undergoing cancer treatment, so there might be foods you need that we generally avoid.

Congrats on the new baby! Wishing you the best & a healthy recovery.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

south2north
on 2/21/15 8:19 am
DS on 11/19/14

No advise, just prayers for your continued strength. Just take care of yourself and everything will fall into place.

Cathy W.
on 2/21/15 8:25 am

I'm glad that you're back to OH too so we can support you with everything you've got going on.

The first thing you need to lose is any shame for regain.  It happens because life happens.  You aren't alone in the regain area.  Many of us have experienced regain - I have....twice and I had nothing going on that you have.  Please, please lose the shame, you have nothing to be shamed of.

The first priority is to take care of yourself with the cancer.  Talk to your oncologist or any physician familiar with your medical care to find out their recommendations as far as losing weight and what/how to eat (food choices).  Eating to be healthy and strong for cancer treatments is a priority.  You can deal with the weight regain anytime.  My guess is that whatever foods they want you to eat will help, or at least maintain, weight.

Congratulations on your third little one.  A special affirmation of life.  

Lastly, consider joining the Back On Track Together OH group.  Yes, we talk about regain but it will be another place that you can be supported.  

Sending healthy hugs to you...

Cathy

Want to get back on track or stay on track? Get Back On Track Together!

DailyMae123
on 2/21/15 8:26 am

Wow girl, life didn't just happen to you life HAPPENED to you!  Hoping for the best for you.  I guess all you can do is try to make good food choices.  Good advice checking with your doctor and nut.  I've heard cancer patients may have a special diet to help them?

We are here for you!

AshleyCCarter2013
on 2/21/15 12:40 pm
VSG on 08/13/12

God bless you and your strength!  Please do not be ashamed about your weight regain.  I have regained and haven't had near as many obstacles as you have.  Get well and follow the advice of your doc!

JB1114
on 2/22/15 11:16 pm - Grain Valley, MO

You have nothing to be ashamed of.  Glad you have a healthy baby.  Try to eat healthy and just take care of you.  Best wishes for a full recovery.

~Jo~

RNY: July 8, 2008

Dr. John Price

Kansas City, MO

jastypes
on 2/24/15 2:31 am - Croydon, PA

I read something the other day that really struck me.  Would you feel shame if you relapsed with cancer?  Or would you go back and fight it with everything you've got?  Same with obesity.  It's a disease.  Relapse is not Collapse.  You'll be able to put down the chocolate and popcorn when you're ready.  You may need help (like an alcoholic can't just stop drinking, right???).  Good job reaching out for support here.  Many of us have struggle with, and come back from regain.  You can too.  I'm thinking you need to be the healthiest and strongest you can be while you go through cancer treatment, which may mean tweaking your food plan to increase nutrition.  Food is fuel!!! 

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

Cathy W.
on 2/24/15 10:09 pm

Following up.....how are you doing?  

Cathy

Want to get back on track or stay on track? Get Back On Track Together!

Most Active
Recent Topics