Advice please: Unjury WLS optimized vitamins BEFORE surgery?

samanthalc
on 3/7/15 1:01 am
with

WLS veterans,

I'm trying to set myself up for success in so far as possible before my May procedure.  I'm very worried about nutrient deficiency, and losing my hair.  Did anyone take WLS optimized vitamins before surgery?  And- better yet- were you advised to do so by your doctor?

Thanks!

samanthalc
on 3/7/15 10:40 am
with

Nobody is answering my question, and that makes me a sad panda....

lynnc99
on 3/7/15 9:51 pm

I was not advised to start vitamins before WLS, but I took a multivitamin most days anyway. The "optimized" vitamins certainly won't hurt you now - but the truth is, 6 years out I don't use any specific WLS formulation. I use Citrical, Centrum multivitamins, and regular drugstore varieties for my other supplements. 

Some hair loss is normal - and some people have it more dramatically than others. It does come back, and there's nothing you can do to actually stop it. Some recommend Biotin, so you can try that if you wi**** may diminish hair loss, but not likely that you'll avoid it all together. 

As for setting yourself up for success....let me give some food for thought. 

It's not about taking a certain brand of vitamins. (Although you need vitamins, yes. Forever, if you are having RNY.)

It's about your mind. Recognize that you have reached the point of walking through the door of a surgeon's office. You have to agree - deep inside - to follow the rules set forth by a surgeon. We've all made up our own rules for years....decades, even. And it brought us to this point. We cannot make our own rules any longer. Even after you lose weight, you have to follow those rules. If you don't, your old habits will catch you when you least expect it. Read this forum a bit. Read the "failed" WLS forum a bit. You will read stories of many of us (myself included) who rounded off the corners on those rules and found ourselves staring at regain....be it 3, 5, or 8 years afterward. 

Everyone sees themselves as the one who will say "100 lbs. gone forever!" and have it be so....but the surgery is simply the first step. Compare it to going into Home Depot and buying a huge and powerful set of tools. The tools work great as long as we use them. But if we set them aside  or leave them out in the weather, they don't work as well. We can't take our tool for granted. 

We have come to this place of morbid obesity - the "why" may be different for each of us. Some call it addiction. Some call it emotional eating. And while our weight may change, our minds may not. We have to be sharply attuned to the risk of transfer addiction (and I personally know 6 post ops who have fought alcohol addiction). We have to learn to DEAL with the emotions that we have numbed for so long with food. We have to change a lifetime of habits. It's hard, hard work. 

On balance, there are countless joys. Jeans that zip right out of the dryer. Crossing your legs. Buying "normal" clothes. Sliding into a restaurant booth easily. Making it through a hard workout. No stares. No seatbelt extenders. Great blood pressure. And more....

Best wishes to you!

samanthalc
on 3/7/15 10:17 pm
with

Thank you for this very thoughtful post!  You're totally right.  And I'm coming to realize that I'm focused on the wrong things.

DailyMae123
on 3/9/15 9:57 am

That was great advise!  I really can't add anything profound.  Follow the rules.  Not just for the first year.  Many of us have faced regain at 8-10 years out.  Keep that in mind and remember not eating your favorite pie, candy, etc is not punishment. Your reward for following the rules will be greater than that bag of candy.

Begin your new exercise program now.  Good luck and congratulations for taking that positive step forward to a new healthy body!

Most Active
Recent Topics