weight regain 7 years out RNY done May 15 2007 Help! Where do I start?

marlylovelylaady
on 3/18/15 1:44 pm

Need help! Refined 45 pounds after 7 years!

Marly

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/18/15 9:45 pm

Many people asked the same question on this forum. Read some past posts that offers a lot of suggestions. 

Join back on track together group.  Read some posts there.... Lots of info.

In short - going b as ck to basics:  dense proteins first, limit carbs, not drinking at least 30 -45 min after a meal. Nit drinking with a meal..etc. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Laura in Texas
on 3/18/15 11:54 pm

Get out the measuring cups and food scale. Track every bite. Be honest with yourself about how much you are eating. I cut back about 500 calories a day when I need to lose a few pounds. Make a plan and stick to it. Stop making excuses if you really want to lose it.

You can lose it, but it is 100% up to you.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Cathy W.
on 3/19/15 12:16 am

Join the Back On Track Together OH Group.  We have a daily check-in/eats thread where we share what's going on and what we're eating for the day.  That has helped me to stay on track.  If I don't list it, I don't eat it.  Or, if I'm thinking of eating something, the idea of going in and editing it makes me not eat it.  LOL but true.

By regaining, what old habits have creeped back in?  Grazing and eating too many simple carbs are usually among those habits. Substitute grazing and/or carbs by eating protein first, then vegetables.  Lean dense protein will give you the satiety and last longer to help you not graze or turn to carbs.  

Overall, go back to the basics you ate when you lost weight after WLS.  Stay on OH and read posts, reply and post like you did here. 

Know that you can do this!!

Cathy

Want to get back on track or stay on track? Get Back On Track Together!

jastypes
on 3/19/15 12:52 am - Croydon, PA

Hey, Marly.  I had my surgery in May of 2007 also, and had a re-gain of 45 pounds!  I'm happy to report that I was able to lose that plus some more!  My step-by-step instructions when like this.  1) Reconnect with WLS support group, attending meetings.  2) Attended Overeaters Anonymous meetings.  3) Met with a registered dietician familiar with WLS to get a workable food plan.  4) Return to some basics, like weighing/measuring; eating 6 times a day; not eating and drinking at the same time; removed trigger foods from my eating (i.e. sugar, corn chips, fast food).  Sometimes I took one step forward and two steps back.  It probably took me 6-7 months to re-lose all the weight, and even longer to become truly free from compulsive eating.  It doesn't take hard work, necessarily, but it does take consistent work. 

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

lynnc99
on 3/24/15 7:56 pm

Marly I had RNY in July 2009 and had regained 35 lbs. Since mid November (yes, the holiday season) I have lost 25 of the 35 lbs. How?

Drink all my water.

Eat protein first. 

No refined carbs. No sugar. 

Limited fruits - no more than 2 servings a day, most often just 1. 

Lots of veggies.

Record my food intake. Be honest. 

I meet with my dietitian weekly which helps a lot. I'd "started" time after time, only to stray before the end of the day. Facing the regain is emotional and scary but you CAN do this!

krob8000
on 4/7/15 10:35 pm

I am almost 5 years out and have started the creep.  I've put on about 10lbs a year over the past 2 years.  Not a scary amount yet, but enough where my clothes are pulling a bit.  I used to come here several times a day, but to be honest I haven't even thought about this website in probably 3 years or so.  I'm really happy I came back today.  Thanks for the info you folks post.  Simple things, but its helpful to see it posted in front of you.  Gets you focused again and helps to remember I'm not in this alone.

Ken

Highest known Weight  - 348.6 lbs, Surgery Weight - 331 lbs, CW - 242.1 lbs, Goal - 210 lbs

Amie_Lynn
on 4/20/15 7:01 am, edited 4/21/15 11:24 pm

Hi All,

I am new to site and finding info helpful. I had WLS in 2009 and pounds started creeping up last October. I noticed it; however,hadn't took it seriously until now. I need to lose 16 pounds and am trying not drinking during meals ( I never tried this before). Today is my first day and it has been a little difficult. Pocorn is not easy to eat without drinking something. I am finding I'm continuing watching the clock to see when I can drink. I hurt my back a month ago and hope to get exercising soon. I eat pretty healthy so I hope this works. Thanks for all the info.

*i originally posted I had WLS in 2011. I actually had it in 2009. Don't know what I was thinking geesh. 

"Learn from yesterday,live for today,hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not stop questioning."-Albert Einstein

Most Active
Recent Topics