Had RNY, lost 196 lbs, have gained 40 lbs back, HELP!

I never wanted to return to this site for this reason, but here I am.  I have gained weight since my RNY in 2007.  I've gained 50 lbs since my lowest weight, 40 of which are unwelcome.  I'd like to lose the 40 lbs.  My appetite has increased and I have found myself snacking like crazy in the evenings or when bored.  I do not get sick anymore, so I can eat anything, which is not a good thing because I crave sweets. I started drinking diet soda again about a year ago and am trying to cut that out.  I feel like I need an appetite suppressant.  I feel like I think about and want food constantly, and it's starting to scare me.  The last thing that I want is for this 40 pounds to turn into another 40 pounds.

JB1114
on 4/10/15 5:49 am - Grain Valley, MO

I understand your fear of gaining more weight, but seems like you know what's going on.  Go back to what you did about 6 months after surgery.  Stop the diet soda.  Snacking is a really bad habit.  I found myself grazing so I stopped that and allow myself a snack at certain times of the day but the snacks are part of my all day eating plan.

Are you exercising?  Do you have hobbies that can keep your hands busy.  I knit and need to keep my hands clean so snacking is out.  Once I'm comfortable in my chair with my project on my lap, I don't want to get up. 

If you haven't been back to your surgeon, you might want to see him/her to get back on track.  Just think how happy you were when you lost your weight.  Don't let food control.  You should be in control.

Good luck!!

~Jo~

RNY: July 8, 2008

Dr. John Price

Kansas City, MO

Shellyshellyshellyshell
yshelly

on 4/12/15 11:49 pm

Thanks so much for the encouraging words!  I know that I can do this..I just have to do it!

lynnc99
on 4/11/15 7:40 am

I too have experienced regain and will tell you that the best thing....and the hardest....is facing the regain square on. It made me feel ashamed and like a failure, to think that I had undergone so much only to regain 35 lbs. 

i went to a local dietitian and worked with her to put together a program that fit my post op needs - you know the routine! Protein first, lots of water, veggies and a little fruit. Limit the refined carbs and get the sugar out! 

So far I have lost 25 of my 35 lbs. I will be happy if I lose 7 more pounds. 

The key for me is weekly accountability. I log my food on My Fitness Pal and the dietitian can see every step of the way what I am doing. It makes me be more exacting and on target as well.

the loss will be slow this time around, but you CAN do this. But you may need to ask for some help, and that's just fine! 

Shellyshellyshellyshell
yshelly

on 4/12/15 11:51 pm

Congrats on losing a lot of your regain!  That's great!  You are right..I need to remind myself of all of this.  Protein, water and veggies #1.  I've got to quit with the sugars like you said before.  I've got to start paying closer attention to food labels as well.

Rosear
on 4/12/15 4:38 am

I am new to this board, as a matter of fact I have never joined a board but whenever I am looking for answers I usually go to these boards. I too have gained 20 lbs since my surgery in 2003. I feel all the same feelings I felt when I was 129lbs heavier. Even though it is 20lbs my old messages come back and fill me with shame and I am so embarrassed. I don't want to leave my house, I don't like the way any clothes look on me and I would really rather stay in bed all day. I have been battling this for at least a year. I know what the answer is and yet I still concentrate on the problem and I allow myself to just give up within minutes of waking up in the morning or in the middle of the night.

I would love to commit with you to stop my negative old habits and start as a newbie. I know the answer is to be prepared and plan ahead. I have to stop snacking, stop sugar, stop eating after dinner, plan my meals, stay out of my bed and stop hiding from the world and exercise for 35 min a day. 

I am going to do this for the rest of the day today...I hope you will join me and anyone else that wants to commit to change. 

Thanks for listening and reading!

Shellyshellyshellyshell
yshelly

on 4/12/15 11:45 pm

Yes!  We need to hold each other accountable.  Let's do this.  I did get up and do my little 30 minute workout this morning and stretched.  This is a start!  I eat really good during the day- during the week.  The challenge for some reason is when I go home.

severman
on 4/12/15 1:08 pm - Indianapolis, IN

I know this is easier said than done, but you can do it!  Make a list of five things you have to do before you snack, then if you are still hungry drink a glass of water.  Wait some time and if you still feel hungry then eat a healthy snack you have already prepared for these occasions.  I made a list of things to do like start a load of laundry, take a 15 minute power walk, log into this website for at least fifteen minutes, take a hot shower, or a power nap.  These usually distract me.  Sometimes I have to do several things before I can tell myself I am not really hungry just bored.  Hope this helps.  I am 13 years post op RNY and regained due to steroids and poor eating habits.  This helped me.

lynnc99
on 4/12/15 9:43 pm

You are so right re: the water! I tend to overeat on days I have neglected my water intake!

Shellyshellyshellyshell
yshelly

on 4/12/15 11:49 pm

I've got to start logging my water intake again.

Most Active
Recent Topics