protein hard on kidneys?

Ruby R.
on 4/21/15 9:58 am

I occasionally hear comments outside WLS sites that protein is hard on your kidneys.  I had WLS 10 years ago and try to eat lots of protein.  Anybody know or care to comment on this.

Ruby

wls 3/2005

hi 262

lo 128

today 147

Ruby  

RNY 3/2005    

Patm
on 4/22/15 11:19 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

I am certainly no expert but from what I have read the issue is kidney stones. Because f the way our bodies now absorb protein we are at a higher risk for stones. One article suggested less red meat and surprisingly nuts can counter the effect of a lot of protein.

I think I need to do more reading on this to really understand it. It seems that if after 10 years of protein forward diet you have no issues you are obviously doing something right

LosingSally
on 6/4/15 11:47 pm

For some people high calcium doses cause kidney stones, high protein doesn't.

If you have renal failure, high protein is not recommended, otherwise you won't absorb enough to damage kidneys.

sor09
on 7/24/15 7:11 pm

I make sure I eat or drink things that aide in to reducing stone issues. I drink a daily mix of lime juice and water, and no sweetener.... a bit hard core but I worked up to 2 tablespoons per liter of water, and sometimes I add frozen lime juice cubes to water. Seen the ultra sound on my gall bladder = clean and no gravel, plus blood test shows kidneys ok too. That's just me.

Bibo
on 9/13/15 5:53 pm

I read, i think somewhere here, and also my NUT mentioned, that it's a good idea to have one ounce of water for each oz of protein in order to prevent the buildup of stuff that causes kidney stones. Pretty sure someone here did some good research on that. But that number sticks in my head. Also, recently my urologist added cranberry tabs to my med regimen, to protect my kidneys from the protein. Im  not to go over the max amt per day. 

Most Active
Recent Topics