Great tool-but not a magic one!

Willie H.
on 4/30/15 2:13 am
VSG on 08/26/14

Had VGS on 8/26/14 so basically I'm still kind of new to this. I hit a plateau a few times and of course was frustrated but as always the weight eventually started coming off again. This forum has been a godsend!  This time though I've been at the same weight for over 2 1/2 months. Some of it admittedly because I just got tired of following a protocol everyday, exercising and yet seeing no results. For that no one to blame but myself. The good thing is that I haven't gained back a lot of weight - maybe two lbs. IN THE BEGINNING i WAS SO PSYCHED and encouraged so it was easy to stick to a routine especially when you see the weight falling off, the inches melting and just the feeling of well-being!

Since this forum is for WLS graduates I come to you to ask how did you maintain your enthusiasm? At 8 months I should not be feeling drained, tired or discouraged. Yes, as for all of us-life gets in the way and reality sets in but what do I need to do to get a boost? In the beginning I was so sure, so ****y and assured that I would reach goal by March and here I am still 45 lbs away from it.

I could understand if I was pigging out or inactive completely but I still do go to the gym. I walk when I play golf, and although I do not follow my eating routine as I once did-protein, veggies, fluids, less carbs, I still only eat about 1200-1600 calories a day. Yes. a lot for a VGS but I would think not so much that I should not be able to lose weight? Does our metabolism change that much that a 260 lb guy cannot lose weight eating less than 1600 calories a day with exercise?

Anyway, I know it is a journey and weight loss is not a straight drop down. I just want to get back on the wagon. It just scares me that if at 8 months I am discouraged, how will I feel at 1 year, or two? I never thought of the possibility that weight can be regained after having this surgery. On one hand it is scary, on the other hand I realize that I have to be accountable now and develop good habits and a routine.  I've stayed away from this forum for weeks- a habit I've always had when doing bad or not following a routine. I've notice also that I have not recorded my foods into My Fitness Pall App for quite awhile. I guess I am asking: How do you stay motivated? How do you get back on the horse so to speak? I probably answered my own questions but how do we NOT go back to what got us here in the first place? Guess, it just helps knowing other shave been there and can relate. Thanks!

Vertical Gastric Sleeve-(8/26/14)HW 347lbs SW-328lbs CW-247 lbs  GW-212lbs Randolph,                                                                                       "LOVE" is knowing someone has the power to hurt you, yet TRUST that they won't"  "Sing like no one's listening and dance like no one's watching!!"

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 4/30/15 2:51 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

Well I've only passed the 1 year mark & sometimes I motivate myself by reminding myself of where I came from. I try to keep up with my walkout routine & keep logging in my foods into the mfp app because it's so easy to fall off track & lose focus.

I keep my goals in mind whenever I feel my enthusiasm start to wane. I remind myself that I want to be off all my diabetes medication, that I want to be more fit, etc, etc. Maybe writing your goals down on a post it note & sticking it on the fridge or the bathroom mirror can serve as a reminder of why you went thru surgery.

I also keep in mind that my calorie count when I first started to lose weight is not the same now. I have to readjust the numbers as I work my way down. 1600 calories is a lot, you might not need that many calories anymore & you might have to cut back, also if you're no logging your food, you might be eating more than you think. 

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/30/15 2:57 am

"you can't outrun bad diet".

Exercise can make you happier and fitter, but to lose weight- good diet needs to be followed.

if you are not losing - you eating too much of the wrong foods... not all calories are the same... that's why most of us post op WLS follow rather strict low carb, low processed food diet 

Still Believe 'A Calorie Is a Calorie'?

(...) A calorie is a measurement of energy (a matter of physics), not a value judgment on where that energy goes (a matter of biochemistry). As my book Fat Chanceexplains, you get sick from inappropriate energy storage (in your liver and muscle), not defective energy balance (bigger love handles). Nonetheless, "a calorie is a calorie" continues to be promulgated by the food industry as their defense against their culpability for the current epidemic of obesity and chronic metabolic disease. But it is as dishonest as a three-dollar bill. Here are just four examples that refute this dogma:

1. Fiber. You eat 160 calories in almonds, but you absorb only 130. The fiber in the almonds delays absorption of calories into the bloodstream, delivering those calories to the bacteria in your intestine, which chew them up. Because a calorie is not a calorie.

1. Protein. When it comes to food, you have to put energy in to get energy out. You have to put twice as much energy in to metabolize protein as you do carbohydrate; this is called the thermic effect of food. So protein wastes more energy in its processing. Plus protein reduces hunger better than carbohydrate. Because a calorie is not a calorie.

1. Fat. All fats release nine calories per gram when burned. But omega-3 fats are heart-healthy and will save your life, while trans fats clog your arteries, leading to a heart attack. Because a calorie is not a calorie.

1. Sugar. This is the "big kahuna" of the "big lie." Sugar is not one chemical. It's two. Glucose is the energy of life. Every cell in every organism on the planet can burn glucose for energy. Glucose is mildly sweet, but not very interesting (think molasses). Fructose is an entirely different animal. Fructose is very sweet, the molecule we seek. Both burn at four calories per gram. If fructose were just like glucose, then sugar or high-fructose corn syrup (HFCS) would be just like starch. But fructose is not glucose. Because a calorie is not a calorie.

Up until now, scientists have shown that sugar is "associated" or "correlated" with various chronic metabolic diseases. For instance, the increase in sugar consumption over the past 30 years paralleled the increase in obesity, diabetes and heart disease. Areas that drink more soda (e.g., the American Southeast) experience higher prevalences of these diseases. But correlation is not causation.(....)

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

lynnc99
on 4/30/15 5:01 am

Well, at almost 6 years out, I won't claim to be excited about the process. But here are a few things I know.

First - the numbers aren't always what we think they are. I could wish my day away wanting to weigh in at 130 lbs. - but the truth is, my fighting weight right now is 155. And this means that I'll never quite reach the BMI that the charts say is perfect for me. However, at 155 I am able to wear size small tops and size 6 slacks - not to shabby for this former 24W. And I have no butt to speak of. Age is also a factor for me - because I had my surgery in my 50's I have to believe that my metabolism isn't what it was when I was 30. But no real excuses come in with the age part - truth is, we need to respect our bodies and what they are willing and able to do for us, whatever "number" we might be striving for. 

Second - Doing what matters is what really matters. Making those good food choices, hydration, and exercise is the trifecta of WLS success in the long run. Slack off on one...and it's likely that all 3 will suffer. Trust me on this. Been there and done it - bad food choices make me less likely to go to the gym. Skipping a walk or a workout invites the bad food choices. Lack of hydration (or getting all my fluids from diet pepsi - I confess it's happened) can make me feel "hungry" and lead to bad food choices. Etc. Think of a 3 legged stool. All 3 need to be in place.

The rest of it?

Support groups if you have one - or use the forums as your support group. It helps us stay accountable.

Log your food intake. I'm back to it and find it a great help. While I want to believe I can manage without it, one of my own mentors in the WLS journey has logged well over 1000 days on MFP and is a spin instructor these days. Who can argue, right? She has NEVER felt she was above it all. She is vigilant. She is a model we need to pay attention to. I've recently started using MFP and wow - what an impact to see the actual nutrition info for my daily food intake. 

Take your vitamins. Even on my worst days I've been conscientious about my vitamin intake.  My doc pointed out early on that deficiencies in vitamin B12, B1, D, and calcium are often not detected until there is irreversible harm done. Don't play with this!

Face the facts. If you see regain happening - pay attention and pay attention fast. For me, it took 35 lbs. of regain to get my head on straight. Now, it's better to have to re-lose 35 lbs than 135 but I wish I had smacked myself upside the head when it was 5 or 10. A caution - relosing weight is very slow and very difficult. 

And a final truth about WLS. The honeymoon period is exciting. There's a thrill - yeah, it's a honeymoon! The reality of life post op is in maintaining, and maintaining is like a marriage. You take it for granted sometimes. It's not always exciting. But it's part of life for better or for worse, and sometimes it takes tremendous energy to keep it going. 

Every. Single. Day. 

jastypes
on 5/7/15 11:05 am - Croydon, PA

wish there was a Like button, Lynn.

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

Gwen M.
on 5/3/15 11:41 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I definitely wouldn't be losing weight with 1600 calories.  I also wouldn't lose weight if I took into account the calorie burn from exercise - and I exercise 1-3 hours every day.  

If you want to keep losing weight, and you CAN, start tracking again and get your calories down.  

As for motivation?  Every day I see myself in the mirror is a motivation.  Every day I get a compliment from someone.  Every time I put on smaller clothes.  Every time I can run 3 miles.  All of these things, everything in this new life of mine, motivates me to continue to succeed.  (And therapy helps too!)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

mjctexas2015
on 5/28/15 8:37 am

Hi Gwen... just curious.. how many calories are you eating per day if you are exercising that much?  And are you losing?

Thanks!

Gwen M.
on 5/28/15 8:41 am
VSG on 03/13/14

My plan doesn't advocate calorie tracking, but the days I have in getting around 800 calories. I focus on eating three small meals a day instead of calories. 

I am losing weight, as you can see in my signature below. 140 pounds down in the last 17 months. 

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

jastypes
on 5/7/15 11:05 am - Croydon, PA

Your subject line kind of says it all.  We just had a talk on "Tools" in my WLS support group.  WLS is a very powerful tool, but if it's the only one in your toolbox, you won't be able to do the job of losing AND maintaining weight loss.  It is true that in the beginning we are excited, psyched, amazed at our progress, encouraged by others.  And at some point it slows down, compliments stop coming as frequently, Wow moments happen less, the honeymoon is over, and we have to regroup to find our reality.  You say you are 45 pounds away from goal.  I actually ended up about 40 pounds from my goal weight, and I remain there (after some ups and downs) at 8 years out.  Not sure why your goal is your goal, but true WLS success is a weight loss of 61% of your EXCESS weight, so you may actually be exactly where one would expect, and truly be successful.

It's a journey all right -- full of ups and downs, twists and turns, bumps, potholes, beautiful views, interesting people, etc.  It is so different from some of our old patterns of dieting/losing vs. binging/gaining.  Learning to maintain, accept ourselves as we are, and enjoy the ride, takes work and other tools, like support group meetings, journaling, accountability, telephone, service, OA, counseling, or any combination of them.  Those tools help me to stay motivated even 8 years out from surgery.  I know too many people who gave up.  Their struggles also help keep me motivated, because I do not want to gain back the 140 pounds I managed to lose. 

Count your blessings, stay grateful, remember what it was like before surgery.  We really do need to have a goal way -- of eating and living -- rather than a goal weight!

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

Willie H.
on 5/7/15 2:33 pm
VSG on 08/26/14

Thanks Jill. I never thought about it like that. First, that WLS cannot be our ONLY tool. It may help us in the beginning but you are right-it won't help us maintain the weight loss. A good skillsman has many tools to help him complete a job.

I started at 347lbs and My goal was to lose at least 125-140lbs. I'm almost ok with my weight right now but I don't want to become complacent, and I really would like to lose at the very least 20 more lbs-that I can live with! I want to always have a goal to work toward even if it is not just weight-oriented.

Funny, since I wrote that post I've dropped 3 lbs! Sometimes I just think the stress and frustration is what does not allow the weight to drop off. Although I have been told repeatedly "just let the program work, follow it and the weight will come off" I guess what is frustrating and I still have to wrap my head around is the fact that I used to lose weight very rapidly on a 1800 calorie diet. Now, if I go over 1200 calories I can actually gain weight! So I guess the body adjusts and our metabolism slows down? Our bodies are amazing survivors!

Admittedly I did get away from the protein, fluids, and proper food and instead just relied on my sleeve to curtail how much I ate-not taking into account what kind of food I was eating and I certainly was eating a LOT of bad carbs! Instead of using the tool I kind of just left the tool in place to do the job.

So the post helped me because not only did I get good suggestions from everyone which made me accountable but I also was able to get back into focus. It is a journey, not a sprint and as you said it comes with bumps, turns. falls and slips but in the interim we do meet wonderful people and gain valuable knowledge. So I thank you and ALL those who have commented and given me valuable insight. That is why I come here. The WLS surgery was the easiest part, just don't know how those who do not have support or a support group or forum successfully maintain their weight loss?

Thank all of you very much!!!!

Vertical Gastric Sleeve-(8/26/14)HW 347lbs SW-328lbs CW-247 lbs  GW-212lbs Randolph,                                                                                       "LOVE" is knowing someone has the power to hurt you, yet TRUST that they won't"  "Sing like no one's listening and dance like no one's watching!!"

Most Active
Recent Topics