Food stuck? OMG it hurts...

kcockerham
on 5/5/15 5:41 am

I wolfed down a package of crackers without thinking.  I can easily eat that much, but I didn't chew as well as usual, and now I am in intense pain.  All around my rib cage, even in my back and especially right under my breast bone.  I'm pretty sure that it's stuck food because it came on shortly after eating and it comes in waves where I can feel my tummy contracting and hear it gurgleing.  How long does it usually take for this to pass?

cmp067
on 5/6/15 8:15 am
VSG on 03/23/12

This still happens to me once in a while, three + years after surgery. I had VSG. It usually last 30 mins or so, and is a good reminder not to overeat!

Ladytazz
on 5/6/15 9:02 pm

I actually had my first experience with having stuck food in nearly 5 years.

I ate some chicken and I could feel it stuck.  I always heard people talking about it but never experienced until then.

It was very painful but fortunately it passed pretty quickly.  I'll be more careful in the future to make sure I chew things up better.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

hooterzgirl75
on 5/7/15 11:58 am - Bloomington, IL

12 years post op and I still get things stuck. Happened last night actually. I was forced to a ball game for work. The only thing available to eat was beef hot dogs. I ate 3/4 of one. Gross. I was burping pieces up for the 3 hour drive home. I knew it was stuck. I vomited before bed about 10 times. I thought It was loose. I took 2 benedryl before bed. It knocks me out. I had severe seasonal allergies after the game. I woke up in the middle of the night due to pain. I could only vomit a little. But, I was able to go back to sleep. Today, my tummy is very sensitive to the touch from vomiting. One thing I will advise. Do not take Tylenol when you have back pain if there is any possibility that you have something stuck. I did this and it almost killed me and my child while I was pregnant. All my organs were shutting down. It started with my liver. 

I used to be great at dislodging food. Cartwheels, sit ups, water, cartwheels, sit ups, water. But, chronic pain and fatigue from Anemia Stopped that. The truest test if you think something is stuck is to drink. (in my opinion) you will get the immediate "rock stuck in the gut" pain.

Tri_harder
on 5/8/15 2:59 pm

I have never experienced anything like that.  Part of me is happy, but most of me wishes I had some restriction so that I could feel food.  I was given a 2 oz. pouch and a double size stoma so by the time I chew and swallow the food is gone.  It is like living on clear liquids.  It sounds painful, but if it keeps you on track maybe it is worth it.  I had heard stories and expected to have to eat slowly and for the first 6 months I chewed a bite 30 times.  Then one night I ate a whole steak really fast because I was soooo hungry.  It went down and through the pouch without a problem.  I had suspected I had a problem but that night I knew I had a problem.  Honestly, I think you are better off than me...even though it hurts.  It keeps you true to the diet.  Tri

sor09
on 6/3/15 7:14 pm

As short at 30-45 minutes, and as long as (sorry) a few hours.

TeressaJ
on 6/3/15 10:18 pm

Misery loves company! Good to hear I'm not the only one who still experiences this. I'm 11 months out and this still happens about once a week or so.

jayner
on 6/22/15 10:49 am - Littleton, MA

I still have this problem seven years after my RNY. I have the solution. Go to your health food store and purchase a bottle of papaya enzymes. They act like a meat tenderizer and help break things down. I always keep some in my pocketbook. When I get that feeling that something is not right (it's usually bad burping or foamies), I chew three of these tablets. If they don't seem to help after five minutes, I take some more. Each tablet has one or two calories. They taste delicious!

MaronitaMay
on 6/23/15 1:22 pm, edited 6/23/15 1:27 pm

I am 3 1/2 years post surgery.  This happens to me as well!  I find it hurts to much so I go to the restroom and cough it up into the toilet.  (I do NOT use fingers or anything just cough)  I know this isn't necessarily the best solution but the pain to me is just way to much.

MaronitaMay

Kay G.
on 7/20/15 5:49 am

I drink a lot of water and this either moves it or makes me vomit which helps dislodge it. A whole packet - naughty. Take a few only out of box and put box away next time;)

Most Active
Recent Topics