weight gain-cant lose thyroid related?

dwinoski
on 5/11/15 6:35 pm

Hi all I am 6 years out and have maintained my weight loss very well until this past year I have gained 15 lbs. I have always eaten low carb and I can honestly say I've tried everything! I use my fitness pal to count calories I now am eating paleo after trying south beach weigh****chers Atkins ketogenic. I know 15 isn't a lot but  afraid if I accept this weight gain, I will keep on creeping up until its out of control. I am hypothyroid and take 50mcg of synthroid a day. Any advice?

Tri_harder
on 5/12/15 9:54 am

Maybe your medication needs to be adjusted.  It seems unusual to lose so nicely and maintain for so many years and then start to gain.  Maybe an endocrinologist can help you. Best of luck.  Tri 

alaskasusan
on 5/14/15 5:28 pm - AK
RNY on 02/11/13

Do you have your thyroid levels checked regularly?  It does sound like that may be an issue, if you have been on just 50mcg, it's possible you may a need a prescription adjustment.  Worth asking ~ I just requested a full panel because I don't feel my own is working as it has for the past several years and want to see if mine needs adjusting as well.  Keep us posted ~

Laura in Texas
on 5/17/15 6:35 am

You should get your thyroid checked, but 15 pounds in a year is only 150 additional calories a day (easy to do the further we get out- I am 6.75 years out). I would get out the measuring cups and food scale and make sure my portions are accurate.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

ratona27
on 5/20/15 9:08 am - NM

What is your caloric intake? Are those calories coming from the correct nutrients? Are you eating sugar? Simple carbs/ complex carbs?

Most Active
Recent Topics