overworked and needing advice!!!

RCOK0011
on 8/5/15 6:25 pm - CA

I am looking for a little input from those out there that work a great deal of hours. For the past couple of months I have been working most days from 8 in the morning until 10-11 at night and am struggling in the weight dept. I have gained about 10 lbs in the last two months and would now like to lose those plus another 10 lbs that I already needed to lose. Any advice on what I should do?? Keep in mind that my hours are going to continue to be like this for at least a couple of more months. I know that exercise would be great but honestly I am sooo tired I am about to drop as it is and I am just not going to be able to do that right now.

Thanks for any input you give!!!

Hugs and Smooches
Ramona

lynnc99
on 8/6/15 7:11 am

While I haven't been in exactly that situation, I've worked away from home and put in long, long days. It's hard. 

So what I'd do is take the notion of packing a lunch to a whole new level. I'd pack a picnic basket! I have to eat every 3 hours or so and if I get too hungry, I find myself eating everything in sight. Stress can make me eat....but so can fatigue and my guess is that you're just plain tired with this schedule!

Not sure what your breaks look like, but I'd plan for about 5 meals/snacks within your work day and pack it all. Choose foods you like on balance with those that are very filling (for example, I find that hard boiled egg whites are super filling protein even if not exciting, and very easy to eat on a quick break at work.) Maybe one meal could be a shake (ready to drink grab and go - no mixing). 

And if you get a longer "lunch" break, consider taking yourself out and treating yourself a little a couple of times a week, if it's logistically possible - a chopped salad at subway with a touch of lite mayo for dressing, an "under 550" calorie meal at Applebees which will likely cover you for  2 meals, etc. But leave nothing to chance and make choices carefully if you go out!

PS ~ Also pack your water bottles so you get plenty of fluids in. 

RCOK0011
on 8/10/15 10:18 pm - CA

Thank you so much! I appreciate all the advice that I get!!!

Hugs and Smooches
Ramona

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/10/15 4:23 am

I had weeks that I would work really long hours.  What I do now when that happens is to make sure I have veriaty of food at work. I do have a cabinet space plus fridge and freezer at work, plus kitchen/break room I can warm things out. 

I learn to cook bunch of meals over the weekend, then portionand freeze some. I would take veriaty of food to work - meats, nuts, fish... Veggies... And I made sure I have meals - lunch and dinner at work. Snacks - are things like prepackaged nuts, pork rinds, jerky, or homemade protein baked goodies. 

Cold cuts, pickles, olives, etc - help keeping my sat intake. Stress - targets adrenals and we lose salt. 

Dry powder good tasting proteins or RTD that can be served on ice... Are my "to go" quick fixes if I don't have time to heat up a meal... Indvidual packaged nut butters - are my "fat fixes" - quick delivery.. So I can have that in 2 min - while I am stuck in long meetings. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/10/15 4:48 am

Btw- for me Limiting carbs- really limiting carbs,  - and increasing fats allow me to not gain weight or gain very little weight while traveling or working really long hours.  Taking short fast walks ( even 2-3 min) helps my blood circulation. (i.e while going to a bathroom- take a detour and walk around. ) 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

RCOK0011
on 8/10/15 10:20 pm - CA

Thank you so much for your help!!! This life we live sure does take a lot of work!!! lol

Hugs and Smooches
Ramona

Jennifer K.
on 10/12/15 11:21 am - Phoenix , AZ

I work a lot as well and find that pre-planning is how to keep myself under control. I try and cook and container my meals and pre-contain snacks so I can grab and go in the morning. At wor****ep healthy snacks in my desk and a few things in the work fridge/freezer as a back up if I need lunch or a snack.

I would check out the 21 day fix... basically its a "clean eating" plan where you container your foods... I like it because overall its easy and it didn't take a lot of time to container the foods and put together meals. I didn't buy their containers but went to wal mart and bought other colored containers in the sizes they said... since you put foods based on the size of the container you don't have to measure then package.. its a one and done.

Exercise is always key.. I know its hard when you work like crazy. I work 2 jobs.. my m-f job I have been averaging 50-55 hours then I work a part-time job which is Fridays 8p-3a and Saturdays 7p-3a.. sometimes I work only one night, sometimes both nights. When I can I still try and get in some form of exercise.. even if its walking during my lunch break at my main job. I am not one that can wake up earlier to work out so I will try and at least get in 20 minutes after work if I can.

First visit to surgeon - 288 ~ bmi 45.1
2 week pre-op 252 ~ bmi 39.5
Total lost - 153 Since surgery - 117!
Goal weight - 155 (mine) 180 (surgeons)
Current weight - 135 (2020 I lost 10lbs due to dedicating myself to working out more and being in better shape)

Extended TT, lipo, fat injections - 11/2011

BA/BL/Arm Lift - 7/2014

Scar revision on arms - 3/2015

HALO laser on arms/neck 9/2016

Thigh lift 10/2020

Most Active
Recent Topics