Pain Relief Meds Post-Op

jnadreau
on 9/12/15 3:08 pm - Mountlake Terrace, WA

I had RNY in 2008, and have been maintaining at goal for abt 3 yrs. I have chronic lower back pain. I was taking Tramadol, but it wasn't playing nicely with my antidepressants so I went off it.  What's been your experience with pain relief medications post-op? What works, what doesn't?  The surgeon who originally performed my RNY moved to Florida so I plan on reaching out to a new bariatric surgeon this week to establish ongoing care. One of my goals is to ask him/her about pain relief meds. I figure it doesn't hurt to reach out to my online WLS community either.

Thanks!

iloveravens
on 9/14/15 11:29 am
RNY on 08/13/14

OK, this is not going to help much - but - when I saw my surgeon last month (1 year check-up), I mentioned my horrible menstrual cramps and how much I miss Motrin.  He said, "I can give you Tramadol or you can try a new NSAID that coats your stomach to help against ulcers." I blindly just accepted the Tramadol and said I'd call back if it wasn't working.  The Tramadol works well enough.  I'm kicking myself for not asking what new medication he was offering me. Something to ask your new surgeon??  

Lanie; Age: 43; Surgery Date (VSG): 8/12/14 w/complications resulting in RNY next day;

Height: 5' 6" SW: 249 Comfort Zone: 135-140 CW: 138 (10/13/17)

M1: -25 lbs M2: -12 M3: -13 M4: -7 M5: -11 M6: -10 M7: -7 M8: -7 M9: -3 M10: -8 M11: -4 M12: -4

5K PR - 24:15 (4/23/16) First 10K - 53:30 (10/18/15)

jnadreau
on 9/14/15 11:13 pm - Mountlake Terrace, WA

I think the "new NSAID" might be Celebrex? My PCP mentioned it to me at my last appointment, but said I should check with a bariatric surgeon before trying it. I'm not holding my breath.

PMarie
on 9/14/15 12:22 pm - Bloomington, MN

The 'new nsaid' won't prevent an ulcer from forming in the 'blind' or remnant stomach.  All NSAIDs work systemically, and the potential for ulcers is NOT dependent on direct contact with the stomach.  The real risk for RNY patients is the potential for ulcer formation in the remnant stomach, which cannot be visualized with a scope-- thus the higher risk.  Anyone who tells you differently does not understand the basic pharmacology of NSAIDs, which, sadly, includes many doctors.  The only way we should ever take NSAIDS is under very careful medical supervision, when the benefit far outweighs the risk, and in conjunctions with a proton-pump inhibitor drug, such as Prevacid.

TanyaRN
on 9/14/15 3:57 pm - Palm Bay, FL

there IS a new NSAID type med that is BOTH a cox-1 and cox-2 inhibitor which is why there is minimal risk for GI side effects. Called Limbrel

PMarie
on 9/14/15 5:16 pm - Bloomington, MN

Thanks for the update Tanya. The original poster mentioned "coating the stomach", which is not, of course, the same as containing cox-1 and cox-2 inhibitors, which would make it a safer choice

jnadreau
on 9/14/15 11:17 pm - Mountlake Terrace, WA

Cool! Thanks for the tip, Tanya! I will ask about Limbrel when I go in for my appointment.

jnadreau
on 9/14/15 11:18 pm - Mountlake Terrace, WA

Thanks, PMarie.

Most Active
Recent Topics