Suspected Malabsorption 15+ Years Out -- Any thoughts?

Cheryl Denomy
on 9/22/15 6:27 am - Oshawa, Canada

I celebrated the 15th anniversary of my Vertical Banded Gastroplasty in April of 2015.  Since my surgery I have lost about 150 pounds and have managed to maintain it.  I have Type II diabetes that is very well-controlled.

My recent blood work showed that I have iron deficiency anemia (my hemoglobin count is 89 and "normal" is apparently 125) so I was put on a regimen of 900 mg of ferrous gluconate daily.  My follow-up blood work showed that my hemoglobin count hadn't moved at all and my iron storage count had gone up -- wait for it -- 1 point or percentage or however they count it.

My doctor has ordered additional blood tests to see what's happening with vitamins and whatnot in my system and suspects malabsorption.  He's referring me to a gastroenterologist and a nutritionist who has experience working with long-term bariatric patients.

This experience is pressing every single "fat" button I thought I'd left behind 15 years ago.  I'm terrified they'll put me in the hospital, give me a feeding tube, reverse my surgery, and I'll end up fat again.  At this point I'm willing to live or not with the malabsorption rather than face the possibility of being fat again -- even as I am still losing weight without trying because of this issue.

Anyone got any advice for me?  I know they don't even do VBGs any more, but any veterans out there with a word of encouragement?

A thousand thank yous,

Cheryl Denomy

JA
on 9/22/15 10:37 am - East Haven, CT

Hi Cheryl,

I think you are on the right track as far as a nutritionist and gastroenterologist go.  I have had issues off/on over the last 11 yrs with hair loss which I believe is probably along the same lines, but never have gotten to the bottom of it.  I so understand your concern with being back to being overweight again; I never want to go back there either.  Good luck and let us all know how it goes.

JA

sweetpotato1959
on 10/3/15 12:44 am

hair loss will stp if you use zinc losenge...you are not absorbing the zinc...the losenge will allow absorbtion sublingual..I take three a week, til my levels are up then one a week...to maintain.. when it starts tasting bad, your levels are up, doesn't take long and hair loss stops quickly...

Denise
JA
on 10/26/15 7:32 am - East Haven, CT

Thank you.

lisashe
on 9/24/15 2:27 pm - Cary, NC

Hi, I had Gastric Bypass in April of 2003 I started at 341, and went down to 117. Now I weigh 200. Oh well. Life happens. I also suffer from low iron anemia. My Ferratin level is a 7. I am supposed to get Iron injections, but have no insurance, and the pills upset my stomach. Also, my vitamin D is VERY low (6), and my teeth are falling out. I only have 9 teeth left. So I am too ashamed to leave my apartment, which is why I have regained weight. I also have had complications (internal hernia, intersusception, adhesions, exploratory) resulting in more surgeries. So... as you can imagine, I am not a hampy camper. Here I am now at 200 pounds, almost no teeth, having intermittent upper abdominal pain so bad it wakes me up, and no insurance to get it fixed, and no $$ to get my mouth fixed. I can't work because who would hire me? :(  At the time of my surgery, I was told to take two Flinstone chewables everyday, as well as TUMS for the calcium, and that is it...... 

JA
on 9/28/15 6:22 am - East Haven, CT

So sorry your are having so many health problems.  Is there any way you can apply for SS disability or medicaid and then  you'll have insurance?  Good luck!  I wish you the best.

JA

Zee Starrlite
on 9/29/15 9:06 am

Wow you are depressed and need professional mental health care!  If you are poor, you qualify for Medicaid.  You can get upper and lower dentures and lose the shame about being seen in public.  You need real medical care so that you can take your vitamins and be well.  

In 2003 if you cared to investigate, people knew they needed to supplement - we interested just knew and did.  Forget about the past and get yourself together.  Forget Blame!  Move on, live life.  If you were supposed to be dead, you would not be given the gift of breath.  Stop feeling sorry for yourself - think about backdoor blessings.  Like you have limbs, you have eye site, you have functional internal organs etc.

Pick yourself up so that you can help lift someone else.

Best,

L

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

sweetpotato1959
on 10/3/15 1:37 am

Z,

You missed the point.., and You did not listen! SHame on you!

.she did follow her instructions! I got the same ones, I just found out a few years ago I had to change the protocols I was given...My surgery was i*****

Everyone who is poor does not qualify for assistance...I have ideas why she doesn't but unsure since we have not met.... anyone who has had a prior surgery and loses insurance is deemed by the insurance brokers as being unworthy of and undesireable...and since our new insurance laws have come into effect those that were able to get insurance have had their premiums skyrocket... and someone without a job, can't pay anyway... and health issues, is a poor risk to be dependable...so no one will give her a chance...to get a job...it's a big visious circle and the way off a crashing train is never easy, but there are ways off!

Yes depression and other factors play into this , but this is not the place to beat someone in the ground , but to lift them up.

Been there done that!dh

Zee Starrlite
on 10/6/15 5:53 pm

Sorry Miss sweet potato, the entire original post has been changed! To have surgery i***** is different than 2000! I was around many years before I had surgery. If one cared to know how to take care of themselves, there were resources. Yeah, maybe more digging but there was information.

Also there is no malabsorption with the VBG. Many people were left not being able to eat solids or certain foods and learned to upchuck regularly which does not allow you to digest the food so no nutrients hence deficiencies.

I wish the original poster nothing but wellness. But again it is an entirely different post "edited"

Best to you

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

sweetpotato1959
on 10/25/15 7:55 pm

Z, please listen to this... I am not upset, but have capitalized for emphasis. You are so spot on ...with some of your points...but

You missed my point . She followed the protocols of HER SURGEON. Isn't that whose directions WE are supposed to follow? These issues do not become manifest for 3-5 years because of the body's stores of vitamins and nutritional stores.Without ongoing medical care, they will not be caught until there is a crisis, like loosing multiple teeth, passing out from the anemia etc.

I did not modify or edit.. her comments, but mine were edited., because no one wants to think about any surgery and the implications it has on your health for decades in the future..

I have this lady's problems as well. Fortunately I married someone who can pay my inflated insurance, but for years it was beyond ability to pay.. The problems of calcium loss,iron plummeting, self esteem issues, and when you can't chew your food it can come up. I was just able to get dentures and this has stopped my problems....That is a mal absorbtion caused not by the surgery, but by the INABILITY TO CHEW PROPERLY . Yes! I had a different surgery,( a hybrid of @ least two of what is done now, plus other procedures ) but I have HER issues.. I also feel for this lady who is in distress. There is help for her, but natural means can't be posted here, for even the date of my surgery has been edited out. Diligent search will be necessary for her to find it.

Excuse me, but isn't that what this whole site "preaches".... Don't think for yourself,, but buy OUR products, We know more than your Dr did when he/she did your surgery... and YES! That is true! the data of the absorbtions are in, certain things do not absorb for certain people who had certain procedures...My surgeon told me, they did not understand why some people became lactose intolerant, but others did not with the same surgeon/ same procedure.....even with similar (half the same) genetics.

What your response sounded like to me was...a blow off.. We can't help you here move along....." Don't have an issue that ISN'T every one elses. We only want to deal with common problems here." ...

Just like the posts about hair loss..saying...." it is normal for your hair to fall out and nothing can be done, it's gonna happen and there is nothing you can do ablout it."... But,Yes there is! Zinc stops hair loss. Our nutritionist and lab techs found the link, and the link to the obesity GENE as part of the study me and my Mom were in./ published by memphis obesity wellness center...Decades ago.

Denise
Most Active
Recent Topics