Daily Calories Goals

(deactivated member)
on 11/19/15 5:21 am

Now that we are years out, what are your daily calorie goals?  If you wanna share macronutrient info, feel free.  I am thinking mine might be a bit high and I need to scale back, so I would like your feedback.

Laura in Texas
on 11/21/15 4:46 am

At 7 years out I generally eat 2000 calories a day. If I need to lose a few, I cut back to 1500.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

(deactivated member)
on 11/22/15 4:20 am

Thank you so much for replying to my post, Laura!  I think that one reason I got hardly any response was because us WLS Grads aren't always as closely tracking as those who just had or are only a couple years out of RNY.  I am curious because:  I went back to the bariatric nutritionist this summer to ask.  He told me that I didn't necessarily need to track calories but focus on like 5-6 mini meals where I count the macronutrients, shooting for a little over 100g protein per day and 32g fat and I forgot the carbs but I keep them usually a midpoint between fats and proteins.  

Do you track your macronutrients?  If so, what are you numbers?  Also, what are your workouts like?  

Years out, we still have to face the music.  I am trying to re-evaluate to make sure I don't need to tweak anything.  Thank you so much for the reply and I'm still looking for all you WLS Grads out there to see your daily calorie goals too! 

Spencerella
on 11/24/15 11:28 pm - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

I'm just over 3 years out with VSG and I eat 1500 calories to maintain at 115. I don't track every day but I always know when I'm consistently going over and heading for a higher scale number. At those times I cut back to 1000 calories and weigh / record everything. Can't speak to tracking micronutrients - just take a daily multivitamin and thats it. 

LINDA                 

Ht: 5'2" |  HW 225, BMI 41.2  |  CW 115, BMI 21.0

(deactivated member)
on 11/25/15 6:14 am

Wow!  Congratulations on your progress!  You are doing fantastically!  I probably need to be around the 1500-1600 daily calories amount.  I think I am eating close to 2000, like around 1700-1900 and I need to scale back.  Good luck!

Spencerella
on 11/25/15 8:52 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

I suspect you're hoping to hear from people further out from surgery but since responses have been slow coming in  I thought I'd offer up my calorie count anyway :-).  Things are getting a lot tougher though. Best of luck to you!

LINDA                 

Ht: 5'2" |  HW 225, BMI 41.2  |  CW 115, BMI 21.0

(deactivated member)
on 11/25/15 10:16 am

It's great to hear from people at all points of the journey! Thank you so much for sharing!

H.A.L.A B.
on 11/26/15 7:17 pm

Depends on your age, and level on activity - that may determine how many calories you need to eat to maintain. 

I am olde and I am 7+ years post op.  For me to lose - I need to limit carbs and concentrate on proteins and fats.  Carbs only from non starchy veggies.  Proteins and fats.  The pouch takes care of how much I can eat, as long as I concentrate on dense proteins.  Too many proteins - is no good so I try to make sure I get app 70-90 he of proteins, 30-40 he of carbs, and the rest from fat. Good fats like nuts, avocado, olives...etc. 

Once every 2 weeks or so I have a restet day eating more carbs - most of the time from fruits... Then go back to low carbing. 

But - have in mind that I was MO for long time and my body is very carb sensitive.

I don't lose weight and I get very hungry unless I limit carbs... 

Most of the time for me to lose weight I eat 800-1200 cal per day, averaging 900-1000 during a week.. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

(deactivated member)
on 11/30/15 5:18 am

Thank you for all of the helpful information.  I also have a hard time losing weight, even with all of the exercise I do.  I am definitely re-evaluating my diet these days!!!

dehh_68
on 12/1/15 10:47 am

To be truthfully honest, I don't count calories or track nutrients. I'm 9 years post-op and I've maintained my weight loss/goal. I feel I've gotten a pretty good eating routinge down.  I also don't weigh myself unless I think I may have gained a few pounds.  If that's the case, I make a conscious effort of watching what I eat and focus more closely to what, how and when I'm eating.  

Now, all of the being said, when I was not as far out from my surgery I did track my food online at Sparkpeople.  I feel that's an important practice to get into so you see how and why certain foods and eating habits effect your weight loss and maintenance.  

Most Active
Recent Topics